Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Low Point Valves - Winterizing

Hi!

I have a 2020 2202 RBS Minnie Winnie travel trailer. I bought it new from a dealer in October.

I am completely new to travel trailers but have years of experience winterizing boats and houses so I have basic concepts.

My problem is with the low point valves. They are down below a cutout behind the water pump and when I reach over the pump I can feel them and barely see the tops. I tried turning them to be inline with the pipe but not a drop would come out (I have a bucket under the drains under the Minnie to see if anything happens). I tried pulling them up and down but they wouldn't budge.

I finished the winterization as best I could by blowing out the fresh and black valves and pumping RV antifreeze through all faucets.

Still perplexed by the low point valves, I reached one hand over the water pump to touch one, then the other hand with my phone to take the attached picture. They are buried so low that I couldn't even see what I was taking a picture of.

When I got home and studied it, it looked like there were collar clips potentially holding the valves in place from moving up and down.

I then found something on this thread where someone pulled those pins off and lost one (completely understandable from what I can see), and the response was not to lose them because they need to be replaced after being closed.

So, I think with both hands and a needle nose pliers, I can feel my way around blindly removing those collar clips and hopefully not losing them. The needle nose should give me the ability to hold on to them. I am thinking, hold the valve with one hand and pull the collar clip with the other using the needle nose.

My questions are:

1) Am I on the right track with that method?
2) Once they are removed should the valves open and close by pulling and pushing?
3) How important is it to replace the clips? That will be the hard part.

Thank you!
Pete
Reno, NV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minnie Valve Picture.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	176708  
Attached Images

Petermarsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
US1
Winnebago Camper

I found a comment from an owner that says those valves are operated by pulling up on the T handle, not turning. I would find it VERY odd the clip would have to be removed to pull up on the handle. ( it 'may' also serve as a detent) More than likely its main purpose is to keep the shaft body from coming all the way out and letting water flow freely all over the floor. I envision the shaft body to extend down past the side hose port and having an o-ring at both above and below the side port opening, so that your water line is sealed (dead ended). When you pull up on the handle, it will raise up until that lower o-ring is now above the side hose port, leaving an open path for the water to run out the bottom of the valve. Push it back down to close off the drain path.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I found a comment from an owner that says those valves are operated by pulling up on the T handle, not turning. I would find it VERY odd the clip would have to be removed to pull up on the handle. ( it 'may' also serve as a detent) More than likely its main purpose is to keep the shaft body from coming all the way out and letting water flow freely all over the floor. I envision the shaft body to extend down past the side hose port and having an o-ring at both above and below the side port opening, so that your water line is sealed (dead ended). When you pull up on the handle, it will raise up until that lower o-ring is now above the side hose port, leaving an open path for the water to run out the bottom of the valve. Push it back down to close off the drain path.
Great advice. As I study the pic of the new valve I get what you are saying. I will try tugging a bit harder outward and I bet it will work. I might have been babying it, afraid to break it. I will post on results.
Petermarsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
US1
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermarsc View Post
Great advice. As I study the pic of the new valve I get what you are saying. I will try tugging a bit harder outward and I bet it will work. I might have been babying it, afraid to break it. I will post on results.
Yes, please do report back for confirmation for the next person doing a search. Good luck

Tags
winter