Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

This last weekend on our way to Lake Havasu on hwy 40 in traffic, I had to hit the brakes a little hard and all of the sudden Crash ,bang ,boom the shower door came sliding on its side right up the isle within 2 feet of the us(40KD model). As soon as I could we pulled over to survey the damage and change you know what . Obviously the shower door had not been latched or even the magnets making contact, so when I broke it swung open and popped out of its hinges, hit and dented the refer frezzer door and slide forward up the isle. I undid the hinge assembly and put it back together like nothing had ever happened, besides the dented refer door . So add that to your check off list!!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This last weekend on our way to Lake Havasu on hwy 40 in traffic, I had to hit the brakes a little hard and all of the sudden Crash ,bang ,boom the shower door came sliding on its side right up the isle within 2 feet of the us(40KD model). As soon as I could we pulled over to survey the damage and change you know what . Obviously the shower door had not been latched or even the magnets making contact, so when I broke it swung open and popped out of its hinges, hit and dented the refer frezzer door and slide forward up the isle. I undid the hinge assembly and put it back together like nothing had ever happened, besides the dented refer door . So add that to your check off list!!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Ben: Thanks for the reminder, ouch!
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Be glad it did not heart anyone!
Those Shower Door Missile Launchers can kill!

Thanks for the info. another thing for my check list.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We learned that one on our first check ride ... DW always checks it! That second pair of eyes and double check is priceless.

A banjo will get you through a time of no money much better than money will get you through a time of no banjo.
Banjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just a note on a simular but slightly different situation regarding shower doors. On our 2004 Brave we have two sliding doors on the shower. The original door lock was a clamping mechanism operated by a nob on top of the door track. This lock seemed to work ok for a while but slowly began to get loose. We kept having to tighten the knob to the point that you had to have plyers to get it undone.
We saw a new style of latch at the last RV show in a new Winni. It is a plastic piece that goes in the wall track and clips on both doors at the same time. I ordered one from my local Winni dealer and it was simple to install.
We have gone on several trips since the install and not only does it work great at holding the doors in place but it acually has a piece that goes in between the doors that keeps them from making any noise.

2004 Brave 32V
scubadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem with our '04 Brave. the door lock was not designed very well. After it broke I got two spring loaded curtain rods and placed them in the channels to hold both of the doors solidly open. No rattles, no moving, no problems.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:02 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Scubadilo, can you post a pic of your new shower door clamp?
I had to do something similar to what skipsor did above, but I made a couple of nice oak strips that fit snugly down into the lower door track; it keeps the doors fixed and quiet during travel.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I posted three pictures of the latch in the class A photo section listed as "shower door latch".
The latch was very easy to install. You remove the little rubber door stop in the track. Then you use that hole for one of the screws. You have to drill a hole for the second screw. It took me about 30 minutes to install the latch.
You must be careful to make sure that you have the latch in right side up. If you look at the #2 picture you will notice that there is an extra hole in the track. That is the first hole that I drilled. I found that if you have the latch going down instead of up that the clips will hit the door handles on the outside of the doors.

2004 Brave 32V
Old 02-22-2006, 01:34 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Link to Shower Door Pic #2

Thanks scubadilo!! I like the gadget & the sanitary install.

Did you get the latch from a Winnie dealer?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I am usually the guy that has to try every wrong possible way to do something before I finally stumble on to the correct way! My DW keeps saying something about being stubborn.
Yes I did order the latch from my local Winni dealer. If I remember correctly it cost about $35 with s/h.

2004 Brave 32V