Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Kwikee Level Best Tank Capacity

Checking my fluid level ( jacks and slides out) the stick is just at "add". I'm sure when I retract everything it will still need some fluid. In checking all my manuals and Kwikee site I can't find anything regarding the tank capacity. Last trip my Jacks Down came on a couple of times so I'm sure this is the issue.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Retract all then check. Don't ask how I know.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My light stays on most of the time. Not sure it is a fluid thing on mine but I am interested in how you "fix" your problem.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
My light stays on most of the time. Not sure it is a fluid thing on mine but I am interested in how you "fix" your problem.
I'll prob pull them in tomorrow and check. I'll p/u some Dex III tomorrow to top off if needed. BTW have you checked your level?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm not totally familiar with the 2005 model, but you can send [email protected] an email and ask them. Also ask them if your model has "Reed Switches." On mine there is a reed switch on each jack, magnetic in type, that tells the system when the jack is up. They are in series. Each switch should show a short to ground when the jacks are fully retracted.

Contact PowerGear/Kwikee.

In my specific case the alarm will not go off. On the road I put in a toggle switch on the power feed to the control board. When I retract the jacks and the alarm does not go off I turn the toggle switch off. Then visually inspect to make sure the jacks are up, which "we" do as a routine anyhow.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Txs for all the input. I did my regular jack maintenance then retracted everything. When I checked level nothing showed on the stick, I used about 2' of garden hose I had, funnel and added a quart. It over filled a bit but not much I pushed some out with my finger and it is about 2 inches below the fill cap. The best I could determine the capacity is 2 gallons. I now carry DexIII along with my other backup fluids. I've always checked everything under the hood and never realized the Hydraulic Fluid was located behind the drivers wheel. Txs again...
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Topped off my fluid which was only a little low. However, my light is still on. I guess it must be a sensor problem.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Topped off my fluid which was only a little low. However, my light is still on. I guess it must be a sensor problem.
Have you cleaned you jacks with Silicone spray and ran them up and down a bit? No only did my lite come on but the alarm as well. I'll see what happens on my next trip but suspect the fluid was the issue.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We usually have to hit the store button a couple times after we get on the road, after the first few bumps it stops. It concerned me in the begining but now it's one of the things your expecting.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well took my 50 mile trip to the NC mountains...alarm went off twice!!! Guess I'll take to my RV shop to diagnose for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Here is a response from Powergear for a possible issue....

Hello,
The Jacks if extended down an 1" will break the circuit and the touch pad will light the jacks down led. You can check and see if a heat shield is missing that covers the hoses. the heat will cause the fluid in the hose to expand and make the jacks extend down slightly. Stop the coach and press the all retract. they should retract. Thank you.
Tony.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have appt next week with my RV shop to check out the system. I just measured all the jacks for distance from ground...the fronts are 9" and backs 8" from the bottom of pads. I check this weekend to see if any drop. I did note that all the jacks had about 1/2" of the leg showing which I assume is the norm. I'm beginning to think this in in the float switch as light came on downhill on a braking and again when I engaged the cruise. Anyway I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Coffeeman,

Going back to a previous post about using a piece of garden hose, they just don't put that fill cap and spout in a convenient place, do they?

Here are two tricks I use. The first one I tried was getting a baster, like turkey baster but a little smaller. You can suck the fluid out of a container and then squirt it into the hydraulic tank. Just remember that if you use Mama's turkey baster, make darn sure you don't leave any tell-tale fluid on it when you put it back in the drawer.

Then I got smart and purchase at an auto store a spout that screws onto the 1 quart fluid containers. The particular spout I purchase has a shut-off at the base, and about a 4-6 inch clear plastic extended out. l put the end of the plastic in the tank, and carefully open the shut-off and watch the fluid flow. Just a little at a time and re-check. If I think there is to much, I borrow that turkey baster again and suck some out. (Actually I purchased a small baster. I didn't want to push my luck.)

Happy trails, and let us know what you find out.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Hey Coffeeman -

Your response got me wondering - should I be treating my jacks with a silicon spray occasionally? Beyond that and keeping the fluid topped off, anything else in the way of routine maintenance that I should be doing? Many thanks.

dmroaming

2004 Winnebago Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
Have you cleaned you jacks with Silicone spray and ran them up and down a bit? No only did my lite come on but the alarm as well. I'll see what happens on my next trip but suspect the fluid was the issue.
dmroaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroaming View Post
Hey Coffeeman -

Your response got me wondering - should I be treating my jacks with a silicon spray occasionally? Beyond that and keeping the fluid topped off, anything else in the way of routine maintenance that I should be doing? Many thanks.

dmroaming

2004 Winnebago Journey
From Power Gear FAQ's

Hydraulic jacks can be cleaned and lubricated on the chrome rod that extends out from the barrel of the jack with silicone spray. If your jacks are equipped with zerk grease fittings at the bottom of the outer barrel then lubricate them with all purpose lithium grease. Do not use WD-40 as it can damage the seals in the jack assembly.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Why not use Dexron III to wipe down the piston? It shouldn't hurt anything since it is what is in the system, right?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Wayne, I've seen where Dextron has been used as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
Wayne, I've seen where Dextron has been used as well.
It's what I use. No ill effects so far.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Now if I can get the alarm to stop!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Ah, the blasted alarm. We have the Kwikee Level Best. We'd pull the jacks up and the alarm would not shut off but the jacks were up.

Here is what I did:
Pull the control panel out and remove the 4 pin connector. It will have the "red" positive wire in it. that will kill the alarm. It will also kill everything to the jacks. The jacks "SHOULD" stay up, but check them. Also check with info@powergear to make sure this solution is okay.

Then I got tired of pulling the control panel each time so I purchase a single throw toggle switch. I interrupted the power (red) line and put the toggle inline. Now when I retract the jacks and the alarm is on I just throw the toggle. Next stop, just turn it back on.

Hope that helps.

Tags
kwikee, tank