Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kitchen Sink Gurgling

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem when I drain the kitchen sinks it makes a loud gurgle sound. The valve outside to grey water is open.
Law11girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Kitchen Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law11girl View Post
Can anyone tell me what could be the problem when I drain the kitchen sinks it makes a loud gurgle sound. The valve outside to grey water is open.

That's whats causing the gurgling. If the noise bothers you close the valve. I trust you are keeping the valve for the Black Tank CLOSED until it needs to be drained.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes the black water valve is shut
Law11girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
Itasca owner

Re kitchen sink drain

I think the consensus now is to keep the gray tank valve closed too until you have a good quantity of water in there to help flush things when you drain. Otherwise the solids can accumulate on the bottom and add to the smells. I wish the factory had installed a tank flush in that tank along with the one I have for the black. I might add one later.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm wondering if the air vent for the kitchen drain isn't plugged. Mine has failed 'open' and provided a bad smell when the kitchen water was released to the tank. It's a Home Depot plumbing part. It looks like a black plastic pipe going vertical and then stops. On the end of the black plastic pipe is a vent valve.Screwed onto the pipe. Just a glorified flapper letting air down into the drain system, and when it's working right it blocks the tank air from coming back up into the coach. The only way to check it is to unscrew it from the pipe. It should be only hand tight.
I never keep the grey water valve closed when parked for any length of time. Only the black water tank is closed 'till it's nearly full.
Stan
Old 09-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Kitchen Sink

Not to change the subject , My issue when draining the kit. sink is the shower drain backs up .
This happens only when the sink has a lot of water in it.

Is this happening because of the low shower drain ?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Itasca owner

The shower has to be the lowest fixture on the coach, and all the grey water ties together so when you dump a lot of water in the kitchen, it sometimes can't drain fast enough into the tank and backs up in the lowest point, the shower. If you don't use the shower often you could put a stopper in the drain. I think it's unlikely that there is a blockage in the drain to the tank, which could be another reason. You can download your plumbing diagrams from Winn to see how it's piped in, maybe that would shed more light. Or, don't dump the sinks so fast, let them drain more slowly.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Here is a diagram of the drainage system .

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...524h_plumb.pdf

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:21 AM   #9
CoveredWagon

My kitchen sink had the gurgling problem as well as a bad odor. I added an Air Admittance valve to the drain line (under the sink) Just like in your brick and stick home, the plumbing needs to breath to operate. If the run from the sink to the air vent is too long...or clogged (check the air vent on the roof for wasps, mud dobbers etc), the sink either won't drain, or it will gurgle (gulping air) like a gallon water jug. The air admittance valve is inexpensive. If you have a little bit of plumbing knowledge, or are a DIY kinda person, it's not too difficult to install.
Good Luck!
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law11girl View Post
Please look a t my signature. When I ask for help, I can get specific help for my equipment because all of the pertinent information is provided there.
I can't look up your plumbing diagram here https://winnebagoind.com/ in the resources because I don't have enough information. I hope you can get a better picture of what you are trying to do from these resources.
Happy trails,
Rick