Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I pressed too hard and broke the sink cover in half! The Winnie dealer quoted $250 for a replacement. Does anyone know any source to get this replaced cheaper?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I pressed too hard and broke the sink cover in half! The Winnie dealer quoted $250 for a replacement. Does anyone know any source to get this replaced cheaper?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You might find a less expensive solution at your local Corian fabricator. The folks that install countertops have scrap and sink cutouts galore and have to do something with them. Corian is actually easy to work with too if you have a router and other woodworking tools you could probably make your own sink cover.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Good advise Jeeper, a local fabricator will do it for a fraction of the OEM cost. I know, I broke my stove cover

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mooneypaul:
I pressed too hard and broke the sink cover in half! The Winnie dealer quoted $250 for a replacement. Does anyone know any source to get this replaced cheaper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I can tell the 06 Adventurer 38J came with Almondine counters from Vendura. The covers were made from the 1/4" material. You can contact them through their web site listed below.

You probably would have to purchase from a licensed installer however if they are willing to sell direct you should be able to cut the material with a saber saw using a fine metal cutting blade and then sand and polish to match the sheen of the rest of your counters.

http://www.vendura.com/
Old 09-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Our "sink covers" have never been out of their storage position under the cabinet! We do have a cutting board that covers one sink when traveling, or when we want to cut fruit, etc. Maybe we should get our covers out and see how we like using them! ...or find someone with a UA 40e who would give us a good price for them...
Old 09-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Your local Corian fabricator can probably just glue your broken cover together so that you won't even see the seam.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
Your local Corian fabricator can probably just glue your broken cover together so that you won't even see the seam. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the parts listing it is not Corian, it is Vendura. The adhesives may or may not be 100% compatible. Only someone certified for Vendura would be able to say with somewhat of a certainty. I used Avionite and Corian in a millwork facility and the adhesives were different for these products and could not be interchanged. On the half inch or three quarter inch material you would have a good chance of success but quarter inch is a lot more iffy especially for someone who already gorillad his in two.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This is not a "certified"¯ method, but it worked well for us when a full 2-liter bottle of soda fell out of an upper cabinet (Velcro strap has since been upgraded), blowing our larger sink cover into about 6 pieces. Get a bag of 3.5"¯ x 1/4"¯ and a bag of 7"¯ x 1/8"¯ rubber bands at your local office superstore. Get some 3500 psi two-part epoxy at your local X-Mart or hardware store (fresh stuff"”don't use what's been sitting in your drawer for 3 years). Spread lots of newspaper where you work. Apply glue to broken edges. Hold in place and stretch rubber bands around sink cover from edge to edge. A helper (two sets of hands) is helpful. Use LOTS of rubber bands in lots of directions"”they can provide amazing pressure to the glue joints. Don't worry about glue squeezing out; it can be scraped off when dry.

We ordered a new cover ($165 at our local dealer), but we put the glued cover in place after 24 hours and some cleanup work with a sharp blade, and it has been serviceable ever since. Against the mottled appearance of our cover I never did anything further, but if you wish, you can sand (very fine) and polish out the surface as well.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you visit Forest City, stop in to surplus. We picked up a cover that fits a 38J sink for $1.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If anyone is in Forest City and goes to the surplus, I would pay good money (more than $1) to have one picked up.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We used a 2 part epoxy glue to put our's back together recently. Worked great and is not even noticealble where the break was! Might be a good inexpensive solution until you can get a surplus replacement.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Try www.Vendura.com. They are OEM for a lot of Winne countertops and probably can duplicate the cover.
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I also suggest contacting Vendura directly. They can match your OEM material exactly and will sell you the 1/4" thick material which can be shaped with a saw and/or router....

I bought material from them to fabricate backsplashes for my rig and they were very reasonable (pricewise) and delivered the material quickly.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote