Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Kitchen Faucet Water Leak

Water seeps out from under the silver rectangular part that holds the faucet and both the hot and cold water taps. It doesn't matter whether I turn on the hot or the cold tap. So I think the leak is where the tap joins that rectangular base.

If I unscrew the connector to take the faucet off, is there a danger of something falling down interiorly so it will be difficult to find? I seem to remember that there was some pipe or other part that fell through when that faucet was unscrewed a few years ago.

And what is under that screw and faucet? Is it a rubber washer? A gasket? Something else? What part do I need to have on hand to repair the leak?

Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	faucet screw.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	176227
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Different faucets are a bit different so there is an element of guessing here but this is what I think I see.
I "think" that you will find that nut at the arrow will turn counterclock to unscrew, nothing to drop down, but with some form of rubbery O-ring to make a seal when either hot or cold go to the center and should go up and out the spout. As the spout turns it tends to wear this O-ring seal.

How bold is up to you and how hard it is to turn off the water. Bold is okay to take this part off but if you bump one of the handles while the spout is off, you can get a shower, so turning the water off at the source is safer! More trouble to turn off the water or more trouble to scrub down the kitchen?

My move would be to look for a time when I didn't need to use this faucet, take it apart and when going to town, take the part to match it up for fit on the new one. I might have to get my water for coffee from the bath. It's okay to take this part loose---just make sure the faucet handle stays closed if the water is on!

I found I could shoot water all the way to the ceiling if I was sleeping while working!

EDIT:
Like this maybe but they come in all kinds of different types, so taking the parts and spout to the store may be best and replace any parts of the seal at the time to avoid having to do it twice.
https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&t...63174209951683
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Why would I want a new spout? Wouldn't I just need a new seal?
Old 12-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, just meant to show there are a number of the different nuts washer combo to let you take a bit of look before starting the search for new. No new spout needed.
I did not drill down far enough on my link!
Old 12-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Okay, Richard. I'm in a state park in southern Georgia tonight. There is a non-recommended RV repair shop in Waycross, the nearest town. But I think I'll wait until I get to Lake Park, GA, which is about 90 minutes from me. I will try to fix the leak myself, but I like to have someone from the service department handy, just in case I need to ask a question.

I immediately recognized your screen name from when you worked on my frozen door handle with me in June.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This may be a part that you can get from a local hardware or big box as well, since the faucets are not too different than the normal home faucet, except they are pretty lightweight and cheaper build.
One big thing is that there are like thousands of different seals and washers to choose from! It might be that you could cut the number of options if you find a name and that sometimes is stamped on the back part of the base. Back there where you can't get your head in to read it! Maybe get lucky and see if it is there by looking through the window?
Old 12-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
Itasca owner

Faucet repair

It looks like a Delta to me, wrap a rag around the nut so you don't scratch it then use Channelocks or large pliers to unscrew it. Nothing can fall down, there is just an O ring underneath which you can replace. I like a dab of faucet grease on the ring to make it work better and the O ring last longer.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Why would I want a new spout? Wouldn't I just need a new seal?

You won't know until you take it off however after they have been leaking a while the spout itself can get worn on the end and where it goes through the retainer from rubbing and corrosion so may need to be replaced. It depends on how old and how long its been leaking and whether you tend to lean on the spout like some who use it to help support a tea kettle as they are filling it. Many will have a Delta or Peerless Faucet which should take the same parts available at most home stores with a plumbing department. What year and model trailer/motor home are we dealing with?

Parts should not fall below unless completely removing the deck plate and even then it should just be the washers and retaining nuts that clamp the faucet to the sink.

Note that the Delta can have a lifetime replacement part warranty however it can be inconvenient to make use of it since you may be without the use of the faucet for some time if they require you to send them the old part first, I never found the lifetime warranty much use since who really wants to live for weeks without their Kitchen or Bathroom faucet especially in a single bath configuration.

Be sure to clean up the sealing area on the spout and the well it sits in and coat them with a good plumbers or faucet grease.

Tags
leak, water, water leak