Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2023, 06:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey Hot water ByPass valve

Hello Everyone

I have A 2009 Journey 39Z and the past couple times I have winterized it. I have set the bypass valve in the coach to bypass and still end up using a ton of antifreeze when I winterize her. My valve is under the TV set in a small door. I did post this in another forum and some have had the same issue.

Anyone out there come across this issue
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

More info on where that large amount might have gone can be a clue. Did it go into the water heater that takes six gallons or so? Or did it just seem a lot more becasue we got into a bigger RV with longer lines?

But it may also be worth considering maybe there is a fault in the valve? Is this a valve that seems all plastic? I have heard some can break inside at times. This is a valve that urns the inside to let water fow one of two ways and there are reported time when this type valve gets "frozen/stuck" inside and the plastic of the shaft breaks so it lets us turn the handle but not know we did not move the inside!

I did some looking at the plaumbing drawing here and this valve is shown from the back side on page three. Maybe something to consider??

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...p39z_plumb.pdf

Doesn't seem too much to getting the valves wrong, so if there is pink in the heater, maybe look here?
Good luck!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 03:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not sure I will be much help, but my 07 Itasic Meridian is the sister to your journey and is much the same.

To winterize I have a value thats located in the wet bay. Its labeled normal or bypass. That value is the baypass value for the water heater. I have a value at the water pump location that operates the suction tube to suck antifreeze out of the gal. jugs. In the wet bay there is also a value to direct the water to the fresh water tank. If that value is turned your anti freeze will go to the fresh water tank.

The value that you are describing does it have labels?

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Not sure I will be much help, but my 07 Itasic Meridian is the sister to your journey and is much the same.

To winterize I have a value thats located in the wet bay. Its labeled normal or bypass. That value is the baypass value for the water heater. I have a value at the water pump location that operates the suction tube to suck antifreeze out of the gal. jugs. In the wet bay there is also a value to direct the water to the fresh water tank. If that value is turned your anti freeze will go to the fresh water tank.

The value that you are describing does it have labels?

Good Luck
Thanks for the help Happy! Always better to get a "real world" look at things when we can. Looking at drawings can really leave gaps!
But then when we get down to looking at details like specific valves, we can get into things that seem the same and sales folks often tell us they are the same but we find some big differences.

These two RV have lots of things the same but then only kinda/sorta the same on other points.
Click image for larger version

Name:	07 36G.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	184980
Click image for larger version

Name:	09 39Z.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	184981

Part of it is year model but also lots of it is the three feet extra size but the bed and bath areas are a big difference that likely changes how the water lines run?? That big old slide makes things weird for plumbing if it is on the slide.

The old story of the "devil in the details" .
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Checkvalve

For what it is worth, Winnebago puts a check valve at the output of the water heater to prevent the antifreeze to go back into the WH. It may leak a little. I’ve had the opposite problem twice, e.g. the CV has plugged in the normal flow direction. The CV has been of the plastic interior kind, and it appears to deteriorate in the hot environment. First time, I told the service manager that I didn’t know whether the CV was integral to the WH or not, and to remove it entirely if it weren’t, replacing it with a hose dangling free for me to deal with. I specifically told him I wanted no part of a CV in the system. If it was integral, well then I would obviously have to replace the WH. They did the latter, even if Atwood, as I learned 5 to 6 years later, had no such integral part. That’s how you make money… The second time I had time to research and found the “secret.” Since the Adventurer uses the truck radiator fluid heating option, it can be a messy removal, but I circumvented it by removing the plywood wall where the pump and bypass valve are mounted, giving me access to the back, albeit tight. This is how I discovered the deterioration inside the CV. I replaced it with another manual shutoff, mounted to the aforementioned plywood. Currently, I don’t use the bypass option anyway, since blowing out the lines is so much easier.
Bosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ditto check valve. Mine leaks. Plan to put in another cutoff on the output

Nuf said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse View Post
For what it is worth, Winnebago puts a check valve at the output of the water heater

Tags
journey, water