Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey 34H gray holding tank access.

This past winter my 2005 Journey 34H was in the shop for A/C replacement.It was stored outside during the hard freeze in Feb. and was supposed to have been winterized..After getting it back it seems to have a slow leak from the top area of the gray tank.Can anyone tell me how to access the plumbing at the top of the gray tank ?
Don46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Journey 34H gray holding tank access.

Can anyone here on the Forum give me the information on how to access the top side plumbing of the Gray water holding tank on my 2005 Journey 34H..
Old 01-17-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well, this may not be a good one as I have found that it is often NOT easy!
But I've never tried on your Rv model, so hope for better?

There are some things that I might suggest to look over and see how it fits for you.
The drawings for the plumbing on your RV are here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...p34h_plumb.pdf

You may want to do a look at the full drawings but I have done a small snip of what I might first try.
Click this snip to get a better view?

My first thought is that it may not actually be freeze damage but one of those things that happen at the right time to make us think that???
Reason I say that is the idea that water will be in the bottomof the tank if it freezes and that will tend to leak pretty quick if we add water but also will be down low, not coming from more on top of the tank. Something to try to get a better idea of where and when it leaks, perhaps.

But if the leak is coming from higher, not the tank bottom, there are several points on this snip where I might think to look first as they are drain pipes which fit into the tank top, often using a rubber type gasket. If that gasket gets degraded over time and then gets bumped, it may start leaking and need to be replaced. That gasket is shown as G-1 on page 2 of the drawings.

Maybe some testing will tell you if it leaks when using the sink versus using the vanity will help to narrow the search but then looking around the suspect plumbing, you may find a section of floor like under the vanity which can be lifted to get a small amount of access on the pipe???

But at the same time, it might be that they failed to get anti freeze into the shower trap and that might have frozen and make it look likea leak at the tank top as it runs around in some crazy fashion to finally drip out away from the actual leak??

Best of luck to you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 jounr.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	181742  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard for the pdf file..I now know where to look ,but like you stated, it is not going to be easy to get to the various pieces that could be causing the leak..I'm going to use colored water down the vanity drain ,then a different color down the galley sink and then another color down the shower drain to see if I can isolate leaking part, then try to figure out how to get to it..Thanks again for the info
Old 01-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Different colored water? Very good idea!
One of the problems is that the water may come out on top of the tank but due to the way life works and the way the tank may be sloped, that water may run five feet in some direction and totally blow the idea of where it came out! Colored will certainly help sort that question.

What I have found is that some RV will have a section of floor like under the vanity that is not actually fastend down but just dropped into a hole and pulling that out can give a view left and right for maybe a foot!
I was thinking you might get lucky and find one where the vanity, sink and shower all come together on those two pipes. Maybe one board lets you see two pipes to the top of the tank?

NO WAY! Life is not meant to be that easy!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don46 View Post
This past winter my 2005 Journey 34H was in the shop for A/C replacement.It was stored outside during the hard freeze in Feb. and was supposed to have been winterized..After getting it back it seems to have a slow leak from the top area of the gray tank.Can anyone tell me how to access the plumbing at the top of the gray tank ?
Where exactly are you seeing the water coming out? I had a 2006 Journey 34H (sold in late 2019) that developed a gray water leak, the water if I remember correctly was dripping into the wet bay. The leak was the flexible kitchen sink drain line. With the Kitchen sink being in the front slide, had a flexible drain hose from the sink drain to a rigid Black ABS pipe that went down thru the floor into the gray tank. The flexible pipe near the mount to the ABS pipe has a tight bend in it whenever the slide was extended and retracted. Eventually the, stiff from age, flexible pipe started kinking at the tight bend and eventually developed a leak at the kink point.

By pulling the drawers out at the end on the cabinet I could see into the area and see the flexible pipe. If this is your leak, you should be able to see it with the drawers out when you run water down the kitchen sink drain. If this is the leak, I believe a have a lot of photos of the problem and solution - let me know.
-Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	181782  
Old 01-24-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Russ,
Thanks for the info and pic..I'll pull the drawers out and take a look..
Don
Old 02-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Russ,
Thanks for the info..I took out the drawers and found the leak right where you said it might be..Have a service tech scheduled to make the repair..When I described the problem he knew immediately what the problem was..Thanks again..

Don
Old 02-03-2022, 07:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Don - Happy you found the water leak problem.

Safe Travels.
-Russ

Tags
journey, tank