Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Issue with fresh water drain?

We have a 2020 29VE. I just went outside and heard the sound of water running. I found water dripping/running from what looks like a drain hose just in front of the rear bumper. It seems to be overflow from the fresh water tank. I only keep enough water in there so we can use the bathroom when necessary while traveling. I pumped a couple gallons out and the drip has stopped. What I don‘t get is how it could fill to overflowing with the valve shut off. BTW we have had it since new and never saw this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	438C7019-5AFD-4B24-A753-60DB29C888C0.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	181430  
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Had a semiar problem with my 34 T Forza. When I wanted to fill the water tank, would turn valve to fill. Once it got to the amount of water I wanted, would turn valve back to city water. Found that valve would leak water thru it ,filling tank to overflow. Found that with out turning city water off ,then turn fill to city, pressure would not allow valve to close completely. Now I turn city water off , then turn valve to what I need it to do. Water pressure seam to be the problem.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Team

If you were connected to city water at the time of the overflow and your fresh tank sensor indicated a full tank, it's not at all unusual for the check valve in the water pump to be bypassed and fill the tank when a tiny bit of sediment lodges in the valve.

It's usually not a recurring problem. Just shut off the city water spigot at the source and live off of the fresh tank with your pump until the fresh tank is empty.

Many times this is all you need do. However, it can reoccur anytime. Some times that check valve built into your pump leaks water into the fresh tank all the time. Then you can remove the valve and clean it, or buy a $20 kit to rebuild it. It's a VERY simple valve that's super easy to work on.

Folks that have a lot of problems with this sometimes buy a separate check valve and install it after the water pump to end the issue once and for all.

I've found my RV is prone to do this if I leave the pump on when I'm connected to city water in a camp site.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
We have a 2020 29VE. I just went outside and heard the sound of water running. I found water dripping/running from what looks like a drain hose just in front of the rear bumper. It seems to be overflow from the fresh water tank. I only keep enough water in there so we can use the bathroom when necessary while traveling. I pumped a couple gallons out and the drip has stopped. What I don‘t get is how it could fill to overflowing with the valve shut off. BTW we have had it since new and never saw this before.
I am curious as to what you call shutoff valve?

I have 2019 29VE and there is only one valve. It is labeled Normal or Fill Tank.

So are you saying the valve was in the NORMAL position when the overflow occurred?

I rarely if ever have city water connected and in Normal position. So if I had some backflow generating pressure to overflow, I just have seen yet. Nut I do put the valve in Tank Fill when connected to city water and I usually don't stop to disconnect the water until I see the overflow at the rear draining.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am curious as to what you call shutoff valve?

I have 2019 29VE and there is only one valve. It is labeled Normal or Fill Tank.

So are you saying the valve was in the NORMAL position when the overflow occurred?

I rarely if ever have city water connected and in Normal position. So if I had some backflow generating pressure to overflow, I just have seen yet. Nut I do put the valve in Tank Fill when connected to city water and I usually don't stop to disconnect the water until I see the overflow at the rear draining.
Mine is always on city water (normal), except when I need to put a few gallons for travel. We full time as camp hosts at state parks and only boondock overnight if the distance between two parks is too much for a one day drive.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
Mine is always on city water (normal), except when I need to put a few gallons for travel. We full time as camp hosts at state parks and only boondock overnight if the distance between two parks is too much for a one day drive.
Got it It is amazing the many uses of the RVs and how others interpret those labels. I was giving W credit for making label simple, so I only think in terms of Fill Tank as an exception use (never really thought of it as shut off I think it takes about 5 days for my wife and I to use up 70 gallons or get it low anyway.

When we do camp, the only utility we hookup is electricity (if we have, I will get a dry site if it is available. The water and sewer is just on need only basis which is rare. Although we do like to drain both tanks before leaving (just to reduce weight though)

We don't have a toad; so we drive the RV everywhere. We just disconnect the electricity, bring in slide, raise levelers go. I can't tell you how many times we have got checked in, spent about 4 hours getting settled; the lay of the land etc., and then pull up camp to go riding around and the park ranger will flag us ask us "are we leaving is something wrong?" But we did leave once where we saw two large dogs running freely with their owner across multiple sites. They seemed harmless, and we didn't want to complain, but we did not wish to be outside at night worried if those dogs would run upon us.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water