Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Is Water Pressure Regulator Needed?

I have a 2011 Winnebago Aspect 30c and I do not have an external water pressure regulator on the input line. It is my understanding that older RV's might need a regulator to limit the water pressure to the system. Seems like the manufacturers would consider varying pressures at various locations in the specification of the water system.

So, do I really need a water pressure regulator?
Cardinal Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Yes you do!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Use the search feature and you'll find lots of info. This one is widely available and the Watts is another favorite.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4132680551.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	35891

This one is preset to 45 psi. I set it at 55.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hello....... Besides a surge protector (#1) a water pressure regulator is second in protection for your RV. Get a Watts 3/4" water regulator at home depot or lowes and plum it up to meet your needs. You will not be sorry......
Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Use the search feature and you'll find lots of info. This one is widely available and the Watts is another favorite.

to you, RVM2 (aka flaggship1).
And ditto on model and pressure setting. Sad to see so many water restrictors still out there
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Attachment 35891

Just got this one on Amazon, will be trying it out next month. We had one of the cheap one's so we hope to get more flow out of this new one.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Last year we were at an rv park that had a water pressure spike. We were gone for the day, but heard that there was a problem with the main water line and a spike happeneded when the line was repaired and turned back on by the city (or county). We arrived back home to see water flowing from the inside of three of the rvs in our vicinity - learned later they all had broken water lines. We have a regulator but also shut the water off at the pedestal when we leave.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Pil View Post
...So, do I really need a water pressure regulator?
Yes. we've been in state parks where water pressure is over 100psi. Normal pressure at our old house from the city was 100psi. The regulator in the house brought it down to 50, but one of the outside spigots was hooked up before the regulator, which meant that if you hooked up to that spigot you'd get the full 100psi! This could be true anywhere, plumbers, like all of us, make mistakes.

IIRC the plumbing in our coach is rated at 150psi but I'd not like to test that, the fittings are probably the places where it will fail and a lot of them are inaccessible.

We use the Valterra also, set to 50psi.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

This is a topic where you may receive varying degrees of opinions. Although I do use a regulator as I travel and on our park model just a a precaution, I have heard from others that they are no longer absolutely necessary with newer RVs. I don't quite buy it so I do use a rather inexpensive hose regulator (this one).

Here's a story. Preface: we were staying at an RV park last year when we noticed that a local chapter of a Winnebago owners club was holding a rally. We were actually not participating and didn't know a Winnebago rally was even taking place and we were scheduled to leave the next day anyway. As I was doing some chores around the rig, a new Journey backed into the spot next to us. As the male was about to set up camp, he was cursing up a storm and told me that because he was an officer of the club and was not pleased that somebody else had taken the site he had signed up for and the park had put him in the site next to us as an alternative. But this spot was much smaller and not as nice so he was upset.

I introduced myself and complimented his rig as it looked brand new. It was a year old. He wasn't friendly at all but I kept trying to make small talk. As he was hooking his fresh water hose to the site's hydrant, I commented that the park management had advised us to use a water regulator because their water pressure was quite high. I told him that I had an extra if he wanted to use it. He was dismissive and irritatingly told me, "these new rigs do not need regulators, the plumbing is equal or better than what they use on new houses. This is what Winnebago told us when we took a factory tour before we ordered our rig. We don't use 'em." I just laughed and said "well, you're an officer of a Winnebago owner's club so I suppose you should know better than I what is necessary and what's not."

So as I walked around the park to my amazement, very few of the newer Winnebagos attending the rally were using water regulators. It kind of surprised me as I assumed that a Winnebago owners' club would recommend to their members to use a regulator.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

to you, RVM2 (aka flaggship1).
And ditto on model and pressure setting. Sad to see so many water restrictors still out there
Hey Dave (RVM1) did you use a 90 degree fitting and hook yours up in the bay or hook it up on the water pole and hope it doesn't walk off. Ours is in the bay - locked up.

Tip of the hat to the poster reminding us to turn the water off before heading out to see the sites in the toad. Also a good idea to unhook and stow everything before driving off in the motorhome.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I use an inexpensive hose type regulator too. Do they work just as well??
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Amanda_h - thanks for reminding us all that some folks you meat on the road already know everything and the weight of all their knowledge and wisdom has made them grumpy. In fact - I think I met that guy and his brothers a time or two. Shame it is but no good deed goes unpunished.

Regarding the pressure regulator - for $50 bucks you can control the water pressure. For $350 you can control the electrical surge. For $650 you can regulate the voltage. All of this makes sense to me - and I don't care what the manufacturer build spec is. For $1k you can defeat the worst things that can happen. Some people throw nickels around like manhole covers. Me - I want your advice - and belt and suspenders.
Steve and Annie
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
This is a topic where you may receive varying degrees of opinions. Although I do use a regulator as I travel and on our park model just a a precaution, I have heard from others that they are no longer absolutely necessary with newer RVs. I don't quite buy it so I do use a rather inexpensive hose regulator (this one).

-harry
Please be aware that the little "regulator" you use is actually a water restrictor that cuts down volume but not pressure. I wont go deep on the science here, but it is just a pipe with a tiny hole, and pressure is never reduced by it. A true regulator is highly recommended.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Cheap Regulators

Inexpensive Hose mount Regulators are available at Lowes, HomeDepot and other Hardware Stores for about $8-12 and are sufficient for protecting your RV
evesely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Hey Dave (RVM1) did you use a 90 degree fitting and hook yours up in the bay or hook it up on the water pole and hope it doesn't walk off. Ours is in the bay - locked up.

Tip of the hat to the poster reminding us to turn the water off before heading out to see the sites in the toad. Also a good idea to unhook and stow everything before driving off in the motorhome.
Yes, RVM2, in the bay.
And I have quick-connects for everything, so a twist of a knob on one before we leave to shut off the water is standard practice.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I agree,thats what I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesely View Post
Inexpensive Hose mount Regulators are available at Lowes, HomeDepot and other Hardware Stores for about $8-12 and are sufficient for protecting your RV
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesely View Post
This has been covered in many threads. I invite you to view this one:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/water...or-144736.html
Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesely
Why spend $8 - $12 when you can drill a hole in a penny and stick it in the hose in place of a the rubber washer and achieve the same thing. Or just us a metal washer. Regulating and restricting aren't equivalent. If I stick my thumb in the end of the hose I have restricted the flow. You could say that's regulated - but the variable is how much water pressure you have before the device. Your thumb or "restrictor" can only do so much with that. A regulator will take whatever it gets and deliver the set pressure and a perfectly adjusted shower every time. YMMV
Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I agree that the watts regulator is the way to go and I have ben using one for years. I set it at 50 lbs and never have to worry. I place the regulator at the bib in the campground and never in the bay where the city water connection is. Reason being if the capground has say a 100 lbs pressure and you mount the regulator in the water bay then the RV is protected but the water hose is not and may swell up and burst. There is a way to get around it but it involves a high pressure water hose which may not meet sanitary requirements.

I use a short piece of hose between the bib and the regulator and then the regular water hose to a whole house water filter and then to the city water connection. BTW I mounted the Watts regular and gauge ibn a rubbermaid container to protect it from the elements.

Lastly everyone needs a water regulator on their RV.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I use the watts 263A.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-248313915.png
Views:	225
Size:	786.4 KB
ID:	35894

I have it installed in the bay and have a drinking water safe hose rated for 200 PSI. I got them both here

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water