Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

HWH bypass installed backwards?

I was just out there winterizing and had a Hot Water Heater Bypass valve problem. My research doesn't show anyone with this problem. Similar, like having a one-way check valves stuck open. So this year I thought i would take some pictures and ask the question.

Attached are four pictures.

Two of the manual showing the single (i only have one) by-pass valve in the summer and winter bypassed position.

Three pictures of my BPV show it pointed in the direction of water flow both directions and pointed down away from the bypass pipe (actually I couldn't attach the three so the valve goes forward in the pipe direction backward in the pipe direction and down away from the bypass pipe). The valve will not turn upward in the direction of the bypass pipe.

I think the BPV is installed backwards. Is it? Has this happened to anyone else? or is it a check valve stuck open?

If its a check valve I have two. (in the pictures) The top one looks easy to do. The bottom one has a 90 degree fitting attached so it looks like i would have to undo the fitting on the BPV.

It is pretty tight in there so undoing the three nuts and flipping the valve will be difficult.

So i figured I'd ask the question before using air instead of antifreeze In either case Id still like to know if the BPV is wrong. If so I'll tag it with instructions for the next owner.

And while I'm asking questions Is the clear water pipe in the pictures Pex? I ask because the Pex i have used is red or blue. I'm planning on putting a shut off valve on the fresh water overflow pipe. I lose about 20 - 25% of my fresh water while driving. It could be a combination of siphoning and spilling but in either case I need to keep that water. Most the places I camp have no water and I'm out for 7 - 10 days.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	175375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	175376  

Click image for larger version