Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2022, 05:44 AM   #1
Bjd
Winnebago Camper

HW heater venting hot flu gasses

We have a new 2022 2108tb that we have used for 2 trips. First trip 10 days and second trip 3 weeks. Boondocking in the White Mountains of NH both trips…I noticed the other day after arriving home that the HWH vent is venting heat so hot that it has discolored the fiberglass siding on the camper…it has turned a tannish color and has become somewhat smooth from the heat from the vent. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was your solution? This is not my first camper with a HWH and I never have experienced this with any of my previous campers. I dare not do anything as I fear it will eventually ruin the siding….any thoughts out there??
Bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
Site Team

While it’s not unheard of for a small amount of water to be vented from the pressure relief valve, especially if someone has tested it with the leaver on the valve, it should not normally expel a large amount of hot water unless there is a problem with the Tstat or ECO.

That valve is there to keep the water heater from “blowing up” due to over pressure conditions resulting from over heating.

I’d stop using the water heater and consult a dealer or the water heater’s manufacturer asap.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I read this as being the exhaust from the heater, not water??

I might suggest doing two things, one may clear the current problem and the second may prevent later trouble?

Those vents look like a "welcome home" sign to things like wasps and mud daubers, so if there is not a screen over them, it is only a matter of time before somebody moves in and builds a nest. My theory is that there may be a nest blocking part of the airflow??

So try running a wire of some semi-stiff sort and try to knock anything out of those tubes. Then put a screen over them to keep the buggers out! A leaf vac can be handy to clear any dirt, etc.

Don't get too rough and knock the burner, etc. out of place. Make sure there is nobody home in there when doing this!!

Better airflow may help move the heat further out?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Oh, yes that could be the issue. I thought the OP was talking about venting hot water, but if it’s hot flu gasses, the could just be a flame adjustment on the burner tube. Or some misalignment of the vest opening. Or as Richard suggested some insect nest inside the burner.

But if it’s effecting the water heater door it sounds like this should be checked out.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
Bjd
Winnebago Camper

Creativepart- Thanks for the reply. :-) Its not hot water venting…its the heat out the exhaust vent.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
Bjd
Winnebago Camper

Morich-Thank you for replying….
Yes….its exhaust heat that is too hot….I will check it again but its pretty darn clean in there….its a brand new camper…but anything is possible…..!
Old 08-16-2022, 11:20 AM   #7
Bjd
Winnebago Camper

Creativepart- flame adjustment seems like a good suggestion…Im not sure….Ive considered putting a deflector of sorts above the HWH door to deflect any hot air from the vent. The HWH door itself is fine. Its the fiberglass siding on the camper that is being affected.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Since it is a new camper, it could be the water heater is missing a baffle to properly direct the hot flue gasses or the baffle is installed incorrectly. Can you compare it to photos or diagrams of a correct heater? I also like the flame adjustment idea.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:26 PM   #9
Bjd
Winnebago Camper

Bones2003-thanks… interesting you mention that. I checked that about 45 minutes ago and the baffle seems fine…if it was installed any differently it would vent towards the bottom of the HWH vs out the top…..which Im sure would crisp the wires etc on the bottom of the heater….Im not sure how the flame adjustment is done….I have seen photos of where others have used a deflector of sorts on top of the HWH cover to disperse the hot air heat. One actually used a small sheet of aluminum foil on his to disperse the hot air outwards. Said it worked like a charm…LOL
Old 08-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The flame adjustment is pretty simple as it is not really adjusting the fire but the amount of air mixed with the fire!
I have not looked in a while but thinkof it as a screwtoloosen and let a sleeve slide forward/back to change the airflow and using the color of the flame as an indicator as you get the best use of the propane when it has a fully blue flame. Too much air in the mix makes a yellow flame and more prone to smoke. Blue with orange tips is often as good as it gets?

A small piece of flashing and some pop rivets might be a good shot at a better deflector? A soda can might be good if no flashing on hand?
Old 08-17-2022, 04:20 AM   #11
Bjd
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Morich….Ill have to take a look at that…Ill do some research on the flame adjustment…I have a couple of ideas for a deflector that doesnt involve aluminum foil! ��
Old 08-17-2022, 06:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The trick is in making that soda can look like OEM!!
Old 08-18-2022, 02:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

An added deflector, of any sort, is a band-aid at best, and could even be dangerous. In 35 years of RVing, I have never seen a water heater that was discoloring/deforming the side of an RV. There is something wrong with the OP's unit.

Tags
heater, vent, heat, gas