Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How to add water to water tank without using city water fill

I have a 2011 Sightseer 33C. I boondock a lot. Is there a way to fill the water tank without using the city water fill.
Seems there should be a way to just dump in water from 5 gal can

Thanks
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Confused with your question.

We have a 1999 Winne Adventurer and the water tank fill is simply a hose type opening. We can easily dump a water bucket (with the help of a large funnel) and fill our tank.

What is your fill opening look like (pictures)?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Opposite the wet bay you should have a gravity fill -- sometimes is behind a small door. You can fill from there with a garden hose. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You have anything similar to this?

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414554117.886372.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  8.8 KB
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My first MH had a gravity fill, the current one does not. Someone in the past suggested using a small 12V pump hooked to the city water inlet and your 5 gallon container. I haven't tried it so don't know if it actually works.

Something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...pump-9576.html

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Or it might look like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140326_190632.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	77739  
Old 10-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

On the newer MH's I don't think they have the gravity fill (at least mine doesn't and nor do some of the others I have looked at). One mechanic I talked to said you could add water thru the tube you use to winterize the MH with. Just put the hose in a bucket/container of water and let it suck up into the FW tank.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That's unfortunate. Is it an "option" on the newer coaches? Or are they no longer available because of cost cuts? <SIGH> It's been pretty handy to have the ability to fill from either side of the coach. \ken
Old 10-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I didn't see it listed anywhere as an option, and I never asked because I really never thought about it until we did our walkthrough. The only way to fill the tank is by having it hooked up to a water supply like you would for normal use, where you hook it up is a valve that has two positions, one to fill the water tank and the other to use for water supply to the MH. Makes it real easy to fill the tank if you are using hookup sites. That's the only place on our MH to add water to the tank.

On our other MH there were two locations, one to use as a hook up for house water pressure and the a second gravity fill location to fill the holding tank.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I saw either here or youtube a guy use the tube that you use to add antifreeze, using the regular pump. I think he added a bypass valve so the water would go to the tank and not the lines. Also added a switch to turn the pump on and off.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I bought a 12V 250GPH 55PSI pump from Harbor Freight (about $38)
. Added a toggle switch, two 3' pieces of clear milkhouse 3/4" ID hose equipped with female hose ends. We take our 5 gallon jugs down to the CG pump or faucet, fill them up, and then return to our coach. I stick the intake hose in each jug and the outlet hose in the tank inlet and turn on the pump. Amazing how fast we empty each 5 gallon jug!
If you have a hose connection you merely hook the outlet hose to your fill port. You would need a male hose end in addition to everything else.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
I bought a 12V 250GPH 55PSI pump from Harbor Freight (about $38)
. Added a toggle switch, two 3' pieces of clear milkhouse 3/4" ID hose equipped with female hose ends. We take our 5 gallon jugs down to the CG pump or faucet, fill them up, and then return to our coach. I stick the intake hose in each jug and the outlet hose in the tank inlet and turn on the pump. Amazing how fast we empty each 5 gallon jug!
If you have a hose connection you merely hook the outlet hose to your fill port. You would need a male hose end in addition to everything else.

Nice!

Randy W

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Yes indeed, some Winnebagos over the years don't have gravity fills. Doesn't seen to follow any logic, most have it, some don't. Floorplan, cost, day of the week, who knows.

But as others have said. Stick your winterizing antifreeze inlet into some water, flip two valves (one to divert the pump inlet to the suction line, one to allow pressurized water from the pump into the tank - "city fill"), and suck in all the water you need.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

My fresh tank can be seen from a bin and it has a black screw plug in it that I have used often
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
You have anything similar to this?
Attachment 77738
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I didn't see it listed anywhere as an option, and I never asked because I really never thought about it until we did our walkthrough. The only way to fill the tank is by having it hooked up to a water supply like you would for normal use, where you hook it up is a valve that has two positions, one to fill the water tank and the other to use for water supply to the MH. Makes it real easy to fill the tank if you are using hookup sites. That's the only place on our MH to add water to the tank.

On our other MH there were two locations, one to use as a hook up for house water pressure and the a second gravity fill location to fill the holding tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Yes indeed, some Winnebagos over the years don't have gravity fills. Doesn't seen to follow any logic, most have it, some don't. Floorplan, cost, day of the week, who knows.

But as others have said. Stick your winterizing antifreeze inlet into some water, flip two valves (one to divert the pump inlet to the suction line, one to allow pressurized water from the pump into the tank - "city fill"), and suck in all the water you need.
Mike, you do the same thing tderonne does with his Winnie except it's three valves, switch the two valves by the water pump so it draws from the antifreeze hose and turn the city water fill valve on, this directs the output of the pump into the water tank. We've done this on our Canyon Star multiple times. It's slower than the gravity fill we had on our old coach but it works!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker44 View Post
I have a 2011 Sightseer 33C. I boondock a lot. Is there a way to fill the water tank without using the city water fill.
Seems there should be a way to just dump in water from 5 gal can

Thanks
My 2011 vista did not have this and no need to buy a pump. What I did is put the antifreeze inlet tube into the bucket of water, turn the valve at the inlet tube where it connects into your water line, turn the city water fill valve to fill, turn on water pump. You will see it draw in the water. When done put all valves back into there previous spots and you are done. I used the collapsible 5gallon containers as the spigot fit the inlet tube and the collopase for storage.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I'm in

'14 Forza 34T up from '99 Chieftain 35C
RolandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi,
Most Winnebagos have a gravity fill on the passenger side of the coach behind a door. I have one on my 2014 Adventurer.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
My 2011 vista did not have this and no need to buy a pump. What I did is put the antifreeze inlet tube into the bucket of water, turn the valve at the inlet tube where it connects into your water line, turn the city water fill valve to fill, turn on water pump. You will see it draw in the water. When done put all valves back into there previous spots and you are done. I used the collapsible 5gallon containers as the spigot fit the inlet tube and the collopase for storage.
I'll have to try this on my 2013 Sunstar 26HE. Every one that I have talked to regarding the antifreeze inlet tube says it will not fill the water tank.

Thanks
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water