Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Site Team

How to add bleach to clean fresh water

Have a 2013 Itasca Sunstar, and I hear how important it is to disinfect the fresh water at least annually. However, on this model it is not clear how to get the bleach in the fresh water tank. The opening to fill the tank will not take a funnel and even if it would the bleach would just come out again, as if it is under pressure.....any advice is really appreciated.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I am new at this and have not yet performed this procedure.

However, a nice guy parked next to us during a recent trip we made, told me to pour the disinfectant into the water fill hose before attaching it to the hydrant. Our coach has a system to siphon a mix into the tank from a bucket. The pour in the hose method sure seems simpler.

BTW: He told me he uses Hydrogen Peroxide rather than bleach as the HP will do the job then dissipate so as not require the extensive flushing necessary to get rid of the bleach smell/taste.

He also mentioned a product to ad between annual treatments to keep the water fresh.

I float this out there hoping for feedback one way or the other....please chime in.

C&K
DoubleCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

According to the Sunstar brochure you should have a gravity tank fill with a lockable door. Ours on the passengers side just behind the main entry door.

The easiest way to get the bleach in is using a large plastic funnel with a length of clear plastic hose pushed onto the exit end.

Be sure to mix the bleach with water in something like an old plastic milk container. That way even if you miss with a small amount it will be diluted enough that you can hose it off without doing dmage to the paint
Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I remove the element from my water filter and just put the bleach mixture in the filter housing... and then fill the tank. Putting it in to the fill hose with a funnel works too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

Its been said on here by people in the water sanitizing world that Hydrogen Peroxide does NOT work like bleach does.. It also doesnt take much bleach at all to disinfect. A lot less than you would even taste, so you could add bleach during every fill up.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Too much bleach causes severe heartburn.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Hiker dogs, thanks for mentioning the brochure. I looked at it for my 2013 model, and the gravity fill was not included in the 26HE, which I have. I'll copy the info below. However, I can still add to the hose, like DoubleCK suggested. A great idea! Thanks, everyone, for the advice!
----------
Plumbing System
Pressurized city water hookup w/diverter valve
Gravity tank fill w/lockable door (NA 26HE)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I agree with RickO, putting the bleach in the empty filter canister works good for me. Putting it in the hose seemed like would be tedious and much better chance of spillage. Good luck whatever you try.

Bobby
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Thanks, RickO and droneb. I'll look into that when I replace my filter.
Al
Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure I understand why, but I think you're supposed to remove any charcoal filter element before running the bleach mixture through the system. Maybe somebody can chime in on the validity of this.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
I'm not sure I understand why, but I think you're supposed to remove any charcoal filter element before running the bleach mixture through the system. Maybe somebody can chime in on the validity of this.

Rick
You should remove the filter before using bleach or bypass the filter, ours has a by pass v
Set of valves to isolate for this procedure.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #12

My coach has a selection to siphon from an exterior source so I could use this method but I also have a house filter that should be changed periodically and I could remove the filter, fill the housing with a diluted solution reinstall and fill the tank. I also carry an in-line filter that I would use while the house filter is removed. I do not need any odd elements entering while the house filter is removed. Once on my previous coach I took on a load of high sulfur content water without using a filter and everything stunk like rotten eggs.

Once the tank has been flushed and cleaned I install a new filter. I have also heard about the trick of pouring into the hose prior connecting the water outlet. It would appear there are several options.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Charcoal removes chlorine, so running your sanitizing solution though a charcoal filter would be self-defeating. This also is why you should not use a charcoal filter when filling the fresh water tank, as chlorinated water will keep longer w/o allowing "stuff" to grow in the tank and water lines. My Fulltimers friends who use a charcoal filter before the fresh water tank have had algae, etc problems in their tank ...those of us who use a sediment filter but no charcoal filter before the water tank have not had those problems. We DO have a charcoal filter in the galley that filters drinking and ice maker water. My fresh water tank has not required sanitizing since we started full timing 7 years ago ...now that we are no longer full timing I will once again need to sanitize after extended storage periods. My preferred sanitizer is sodium dichlor crystals (hot tub/spa).
Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I don't think the siphon will put anything into the freshwater tank. I believe it only pumps into the pipes after the pump and not the tank. I put the bleach into the water hose and then put the hose into the gravity fill. My gravity fill is at about eye level and I would have to stand on a ladder to use a funnel and a bottle.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I suppose I will take "heat" for this but I never sanitize. I too had problems when I tried to get the bleach into the tank so I just gave up. I just don't drink the water that comes from the fresh water storage tank. I've never had any problems....knock on wood.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
I suppose I will take "heat" for this but I never sanitize. I too had problems when I tried to get the bleach into the tank so I just gave up. I just don't drink the water that comes from the fresh water storage tank. I've never had any problems....knock on wood.
I don't do it very often either.

In my case, it isn't so much difficulty getting bleach in to the tank but rather the dumping of 107 gallons of bleach/water mixture. It's rare that we're in a location where that can be done easily and responsibly.

We only drink the water in our coffee. Bottled water for us and the three dogs.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

how much bleach to Water?
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

12 years with my 5er and I did it once. Not actually sanitize, but I added a tbsp to 112 gallons in two tanks of fresh before a trip. Maybe they didn't mix well, as I had bad heart burn till I realized what it was. Switched to beer and was fine.

I can't stand tasteless bottled water and drink my fresh, soft water. At the end of my season, I fill my fresh full to the brim to eliminate as much air space as possible.

And I thought my dog was spoiled.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I don't think the siphon will put anything into the freshwater tank. I believe it only pumps into the pipes after the pump and not the tank. I put the bleach into the water hose and then put the hose into the gravity fill. My gravity fill is at about eye level and I would have to stand on a ladder to use a funnel and a bottle.
It would appear that systems can be different based on your coach manufacturer.

In my 2010 Thor Serrano I had no siphon function but I could gravity fill the tank located under the bed. This is where I added the bleach/water mixture.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
how much bleach to Water?
8 drops per gallon, or 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons will make it safe to drink.

1/2 teaspoon per gallon will sanitize just about anything. Let it sit for 30-60 mins.

1 Tablespoon per gallon will sanitize in about 2-5 mins..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote