Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

How far from RV can I successfuly dump tanks?

I'm parked in my son's driveway. It's perfect. He has a 50 amp outlet for me and heated water hoses. He even has a septic dump location just like an RV campground. However the dump location is about 62 feet from my wet bay. How many sewer hoses can I hook together to successful do a dump? I would really rather not pack up and go to a dump site if I don't have to. I will probably stay here at this location all winter.
RenGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Team

What about getting a portable (or plumbed) macerator? We have ours plumbed in and use it to dump all the time. This will allow you to pump up to (I think) 150 feet away through a hose and you don't have to worry if there is any uphill runs that may stop the flow.

This is the portable one I'm talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-18555-...s=rv+macerator

We have a Therford Sani-Con that I installed and we rely on 100% of the time (but carry a hose just in case - never used it)
https://www.thetford.com/product/sanicon-system/
Old 11-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's not just length, the slope is critical. If you're going to be there that long, you should think about investing in a macerator pump. I'd rather put my money towards it instead of 62 feet of sewer hose. Plus the garden hose from the macerator will be a lot less conspicuous and less vulnerable to damage than the sewer hose. Sixty-two feet and a moderate uphill slope won't be a problem for a macerator. There are even online instructions on how to make one using an inexpensive garbage disposer. Here are some links:

https://rvlivingnow.com/best-rv-macerator-pump/

https://rvnerds.com/2016/01/29/home-...acerator-pump/ (there are others, Google "DIY RV macerator")

I have one that I cobbled together with some RV dump fittings and an leftover macerator pump from my boating days that I use to pump about 50' slightly uphill (2' - 3' rise) to my sewer clean-out. I have no idea how effective the garbage disposer version would be.

Good luck.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If the dump location is a few feet below the waste outlet on your RV then you should be OK using sewer hoses hooked together. If not then consider a portable RV Waste Tank and just roll it to the dump location.

Amazon has a 25 gallon one on sale for $ 87. Note that water weighs over 8 pounds per gallon so if you fill it to 20 gallons the weight becomes 170 pounds, can be a chore rolling uphill or over soft ground.

25 gallon Portable RV Waste Tank - Amazon
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

RenGirl, for an application such as yours at our home we use the Valterra SSO1 macerator system. Here's a link to a previous thread on the subject.

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...or-352253.html

Simple. Very effective. No electric motors or connections to futz with.

We are on septic. From Miss Winnie's berth to our preferred clean out is just over 100 ft, with a 3 1/2 foot rise. Normal city water pressure works fine.

Now, we do not use it on the road. It is not nearly as fast as our old corrugated hose.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Taking your suggestion and getting the one in your first link. I think it'll be just what I need. Takes some stress off my shoulders. Thank you.....Ren
RenGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
Itasca owner

You might look into the "sewer solution" system which is said to pump (it's not really a pump) 100' but you should use lengths of 1" pvc pipe for your drain line. It should be smooth inside, not the usual spiral hose for normal dumping. Fittings would be easy to find from pipe to hose connections. Also, do not leave your valves open, let the tanks fill up then empty them. There's a little video on the website to see how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01...sewer+solution
Old 11-26-2018, 11:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have a Sewer Solutions water-powered pump as jerrybb just mentioned. It will pump the black water tank contents for quite a distance, even up hill. It comes with about 20 feet of discharge hose and they sell additional sections in 10 foot increments, and you supply your own freshwater hose that actually creates the pumping action. That setup might cost as much as $150. As jerry says, you could substitute PVC pipe for most of that long run. As far as cost effectiveness goes, powercat's suggestion of using a portable dump tank might be a way to go.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Powered Macerator is the only way to go.. Just remember the one you chose is 12v, so make sure you have easy access to the battery because these things draw at least 10A. The one thing you absolutely positively do NOT want to do is starve that pump of power and stall it out.. that will REALLY ruin your day trying to un-clog it, and all that that implies...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Just make sure you have a decent amount of water in your tank before you dump and use a good liquifying chemical in your black tank. I also like to use a clear fitting between my outlet and the sewer hose so I can monitor the status of what's going into the macerator (one of life's more pleasant experiences). Mine has it's own dump valve which is nice to have.

The biggest problem with macerators is having it freeze up from congealed sewage. This shouldn't be an issue if you always dump your gray water after dumping your black water.

Also, make sure the macerator has it's own dedicated breaker or inline fuse if there isn't one as part of the unit itself.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
—— snip ——.
Also, make sure the macerator has it's own dedicated breaker or inline fuse if there isn't one as part of the unit itself.
and at least 10ga wire to the motor from said breaker. Stalling a Macerator is a really bad thing considering whats in the pump that you need to un-stick

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If creating electric service for the macerator is a big problem, you can always tap into the home's service and just run a line to the pump when you need it.

Alternative is Easy if there's a slope. Get PVC drain pipe from Home Depot, etc, and block a 50' run that terminates into the drain. Straight, easy to install, cheap, and works like all other plumbing lines.

You don't have to glue the fittings and pipe together, either. They press-fit just fine for passive flow, and will disconnect when not needed. Best of all, the smooth surfaces clean up very well and very quickly!
Old 12-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Macerator is the way

Here in the UK we often don't have sewerage close by the rig, so a macerator is the way we've been doing it for years!

100yds of 1" lay flat cut into various lengths with quick release connectors, will just about pump 100 yds, but most of the time just 50-75 yds. Lay flat doesn't take up much space either!!

Separate trip for the mascerator, I use a separate switch rather than the supplied one, obviously, take care over the pump, if it sounds sluggish, change to grey for a while to clean out.

We only ever use our toilet, never campsite ones and never had an issue (OK, every now and then I clean any trapped hairs etc from the blades using long pliers, but that's the joy of our lifestyle!!)

Vectra 40AD based in Beautiful North Wales. UK.
Bigpeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I've had the same Sewer Solution for 8 years. Simple to use and durable. It's supposed to pump up to about 80'. I haven't tried it that far yet.
Amazon has them. They come with a 10' hose and you can get more in 20' increments.
They use only water pressure so there is no wiring or anything to worry about.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Finhawk, how long does Sewer Solution take to empty a 40-gallon black water tank??
Old 12-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

With 2 rinses, it usually takes about 10/15 minutes. I don't use a dump station because I may hold people up. But I just make sure it's empty before I leave a park.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

The other good thing is that you can leave the grey tank valve open
Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I concur with Finhawk.

Tags
tank