Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2021, 09:50 PM   #1

How Adding An Outdoor BBQ Busted My Chops $210 For the Grill + $190 Parts + 4 Days

How Adding An Outdoor BBQ Busted My Chops

What can be simpler, I thought, when I set out to connect my new Coleman BBQ to my RV LP tank.

I thought, all I have to do is get a quick disconnect fitting, a 12' gas hose, and few brass fitting at my local ACE Hardware store …AND BOY DID THIS PROJECT TURN INTO AN ORDEAL!

At every turn I ran into problems, but being the optimist I just kept turning these little annoyances into learning opportunities, which I will now share with you so you don’t get blindsided like I did:

* I had no idea how much I would spend.

* I had no idea how long this would take.

* I did not know these LP and Propane Gas fittings are ever-so-slightly different than Natural Gas quick disconnect fittings; and not all of these quick disconnect brands are interchangeable. I.e., you may be able to plug in your 12’ male hose (bought at Camping World) into a quick connect you bought at ACE, but that does not mean the seal inside the quick disconnect will release and let LP gas flow. Why? …Because different manufactures have micro-differences in how they seal the quick disconnect and mate with the male part. This is why when you buy a quick disconnect it always comes with the male side for the extension hose.

So lesson #1: When you buy an extension hose, you really need to be sure the quick disconnect is made by the same company as the 12’ hose company.

And how did I get into this mess? Answer: When I bought the 12’ hose at Camping World they were out of stock on the quick disconnect part, and the salesperson directed me to go to a professional hose and hydraulic shop located 2 miles away to buy a quick disconnect from them. SO DON”T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

LITTLE THINGS YOU DON’T KNOW WHEN YOU BUY A BBQ

I did not know my Coleman “Roadtrip-Excursion” #9406 BBQ uses a 15PSI regulator. …And why is this important?

Answer: It means I could not use the existing BBQ remote gas line in my RV, which the previous owner plumbed, after my RV tank regulator, because after my RV tank regulator the line pressure is only 12-12.5PSI. So when I connected my Coleman BBQ up the first time, there was no fame.

SOLUTION: I thought I would simply add a second T-Fitting before the RV LP tank regulator... and how hard can that be?

* All I would have to do is cap-off the old ½” pipe and then add a T-Fitting to the high pressure line before the LP tank regulator.

* Well, everything went pretty good until I removed my old high pressure side (350PSI) LP gas fuel line, because I found that fuel line was very hard and unusable, but not until I tried to reinstall it.

* At this point, I found the gas fittings leaked after I tightened them up.

==> So now I'm hunting down place to get a new LP/Propane hose made; and I notice the hose is rated for 350PSI.

* So off I go to find a propane store or Napa to cut the ends off and re-attach the brass fittings. Well, it turns out the nearest propane repair/fueling store/company is located 30 miles away; so I go to Napa and they tell me your old hose is too hard to crimp. Also, one fitting was not a spin-on-fitting so you would to have a straight hose in order to tighten that side of the fitting down.

Note: The Napa store was willing to make a new hose out of a 3,000 PSI hydraulic line, but I opted not to go that route since my old hose had all kinds of LP gas makings and certifications on it.

…And it’s a good thing I did. Why? ...Because the LP tech said if I used that hydraulic hose, over time the high pressure in the line would leach out the propane in the line.

Now to be fair, I think if I was using a 5 gallon tank and the hose I needed was going to be used after the regulator, where I can turn off my gas valve at the tank, then I’m sure I could have gotten into any trouble by using a hydraulic hose with low pressure LP gas… and I would be able to turn the LP off at the tank… before the gas line.

Lesson #2: For high-pressure LP applications, before your RV tank regulator, you can't use an air hose or an hydraulic hose. You really do need to get the appropriate rated LP-Propane hose that will handle 350PSI.

So now I’m back under my RV and I reassemble everything, again. And after I did, I perform a leak check with soapy water, and this time I notice my gas on/off valve to the BBQ was leaking when it was not leaking before.

* So off I go to the ACE hardware store and I find 1/2"FPT to 3/8" Male-Flared gas valve (with a yellow handle) and I read the label which says it is rated up to 125F at 5PSIG... which I determine is not good enough for use on the high pressure side of the RV-LP-Tank.

* So then I start asking how much pressure is on the high pressure side of the LP tank? …And the answer is 125-225PSIG depending on the outside temperature (OAT).

* And then I ask what the difference is between the PSI of natural gas in your home? …And the answer is the pressure “INSIDE” your home is in the 2PSI range, which is why a 5PSIG rated hot water gas valve will work just fine.

* Further, there is no standard for yellow or red or blue gas valves, but you will find the standard clearly marked on the side of the gas valve, which is very helpful, providing you know what these marks mean?

Lesson #3: The brass parts you buy need to be rated for high pressure LP gas if you are tapping into a high pressure 125-225PSI LP gas line. And these parts are not commonly found at ACE, because they don’t want the average homeowner messing around with high pressure gas. And now I can understand why.

REVIEW

* When you are adding a T-Fitting before the RV tank regulator you are going to need a 350PSI gas line and a 600-PSIG ball valve so you can turn off the gas at that tank.

* Quick Disconnect LP Fitting are made for Natural Gas and Propane applications, but you will find these parts are only rated for 250PSI, which is satisfactory, but not something I would recommend you leave on the high pressure side when you are driving or put your RV in storage.

Why? …For safety reasons, IMO, I think you really need to install a 600-PSIG ball valve at your RV TANK so you can turn off the gas at that point… as close to the tank as possible.

Why?

In the pictures posted below, you will see your RV LP tank is located above the ground. So if you have a high pressure or low pressure regulator leak the LP will drop to the ground and spread out… and the wind is your friend… so you don’t go KABOOM!

Now take a look at where your remote BBQ Quick Disconnect (250PSIG) part is located? …And you will see, in my case, it is located in my storage compartment.

So what would happen if this quick disconnect fails, or the ball valve above it fails? …Which albeit is a slim chance, but we are talking about LP here! …And high pressure LP at that!

Answer: LP gas is going to fill your basement and will got leach out to the ground or get blown away for a very long time. And that sounds very dangerous to me.

CONCLUSIONS

IMO, I really like this Coleman 15PSI “Roadtrip-Excursion” #9406 BBQ, but after spending $190 just to hook it up to my LP tank; and after all the time and effort I put into this project, right now, all the satisfaction I have is wrapped up in the learning experiences I got.

Further, you can buy a lot of green LP canisters for $190. So there really does not seem like there is any cost savings I can make an argument for until 3+ years go by, more or less, depending on how much grilling you do.

So that begs the question: Would I recommend the Coleman “Excursion” #9406?

Yes, I would, but only if you are prepared to use it with the green LP canisters; and I’m guessing that will satisfy 90% of you all out there.

In addition, for RV use, I really like the Coleman “Excursion” BBQ because if folds down to a very slim-line (height) and then I can roll it into my basement, which the other Coleman grills would not stowaway, because they were too tall when in the folded position.

HOW MUCH TIME & MONEY DID I SPEND TO CONNECT MY COLEMAN BBQ TO THE HIGH SIDE OF MY RV LP TANK?

* $80 for plumbing parts

* $90 for the quick connect and 12' hose

* $20 in gas for my car to drive 120 miles to the propane store to buy a specialty LP hose and high pressure fittings.

* $210 for the grill; and 4 days of on again, off again, work to get the whole setup working without LP leaks.

So these things aren’t cheap! …And I’m too beat right now to tell you if I am satisfied or not. …Ask me next year how I feel and maybe I will be glad I went to all this trouble. However it’s a lot of work and money -- just to avoid buying and running out of those green canister LP tanks.

REFERENCES

https://blog.boshart.com/whats-so-sp...as-ball-valves
or
https://blog.boshart.com/how-to-unde...valve-markings
or
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/LP-Fittings-s/92.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Coleman Folding Grile with Cast Iron.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	179533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Larget Tank side 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	179535  

Name:	Coleman Model #9460 - Under Regulator Cover.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	179536   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 LP BBQ T-Adapter.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	179537  

Name:	4b LP Tank With BBQ Tap befor regulator.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	179538   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 2004 Itasca Horizon 31 GAL LP Tank with  125-225PSI BBQ High Pressure T-Fitting Before The RV.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	179539  

Name:	12 BBQ Quick Disconnect by  Mr. Gas 250PSI Natural Gas & LP.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	179540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Heater 12' Quick Connect Hose Assembley.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	179541  

Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You could have saved some money and bought one of these (cheaper without the hoses):

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...12378707&psc=1

In addition, it gives you the ability to attach an external tank to your motorhome.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #3

BobC: No I could NOT have just bought one of these Extend-A-Stay kits to achieve my objectives. Never mind the fact I don't want to carry around a 5 gallon portable tank... and store all that additional weight in my RV basement where space is also limited.

I think you know I travel in my RV and I am not a Full Timmer where I park in one spot. But maybe your posted for the benefit of other people?

That said, lets look at your suggestion in more detail:

All Class "A" RV fill valves are on the driver's side of the RV. And if you add your Extend-A-Stay Kit there, then that 12' hose in the Kit will NOT extend to the passenger side of the RV and you will be forced to grill on the driver's side of the coach. ...Yeah, I really would really NOT like that! ...But maybe that would be okay with you.

And if you add the cost of buying a the 5 gallon tank ($70-$85) to your critique, then I suppose I would have saved about $40; and I would have accumulated a whole lot of additional inconveniences. No thank you.

...But you did right by everyone who wants to save $40, grill on the driver's side of the RV, and those who have room in their RV basement for a 5-gallon tank... and don't mind carrying all that extra 5 gallons of LP weight around with them.

I wrote this post to inform people of the challenges involved then adding a high pressure side T-Fitting so they can avoid all the issues I ran into.

Also, with this information known in advance, I can emphasize that if you "know what you are doing" then adding a T-Fitting to either side of your RV LP Tank is not that hard.

TO ADD TO WHAT I WAS SAYING IN MY FIRST POST

* There is a good chance you will need to replace your old high pressure LP Hose; so, you might to pick one of these 24" (350PSI) hoses up from a commercial LP hose shop before you begin. ($25)

* With the right parts on hand in advance this project will not "bust your chops." It did mine, because I was ill prepared.

* With all this information, now you can decide if you are better off screwing in those green LP canisters?
Old 06-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
All Class "A" RV fill valves are on the driver's side of the RV.
Not at all true!
Old 06-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Your response to my post sounds like you took it as an attack on you. I didn't mean to be critical, I was pointing out a less expensive solution that may help out another reader. Maybe I could have worded it better as in "Another solution would be..." Please accept my apology.

Although the Extend-A-Stay's name refers to attaching an external tank for additional LPG, it also provides the ability to tap into your existing tank ahead of the regulator for a stove, BBQ, whatever. You don't need to attach an external tank to use this feature.

Installing a Camco 59123 4 port brass tee (Extend-A-Stay).

My Suncruiser 35U has its tank on the passenger side so the thought of a tank on the driver's side never crossed my mind.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

X2, 2005 Journey....passenger side and the extend a stay worked perfectly for us to use high pressure for our weber 2000
Old 06-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
All Class "A" RV fill valves are on the driver's side of the RV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T View Post
Not at all true!
^ This is true.

All RV fills on Class A RVs are NOT on the driver side.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #8

Okay... Thanks. If I stand corrected then I am wrong. I apologize.

Maybe one day I will see a Class A with the RV Fill on the passenger side. I just never have.

Since you both seems to know for certain I made too broad of a statement, please enlighten me: What Class "A" RV has a LP Fill on the passenger side?

I'm sure you are correct. So I ask to broaden my knowledge.

I also have been thinking about what you suggest, so I have another question.

Can someone add an Extend-A-Stay kit without using a 5-gallon tank? ... And then run a 25' LP HIGH PRESSURE Hose from the driver's side to the passenger side?

For that matter, do they make a brass fitting that would simulate a LP FILL HOSE only when you screw it to the REMOTE FILL VALVE it will allow you to pass HIGH PRESSURE LP through a 25' hose? ...Now this setup would be a good alternative to adding a T-Fitting like I did.

Of course, you would have a 25' LP hose to store, but that's something which is very "doable" vs. the ideas of carting around a 5-gallong tank, which I have no intention of doing.

So I yield and look forward to learning more about this subject.... What is the easiest and cheapest way to run your outside BBQ off the RV LP tank?
Old 06-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Mine for one.

Neub above in post #6 says his 2005 Journey is another.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #10

Good to know. I did not know that. I humbly stand corrected. And so it is: If your RV propane fill hose (and presumably LP tank) is located on the passenger side, then it sounds like an Extend-A-Stay Kit will be a much easier alternative to tapping into your HIGH PRESSURE LP Tank side so you can run your Coleman or other choice of grills.

And therefore, my arguments seem to be only applicable (limited) to those of us RV owners who have the LP tank located on the driver's side of the coach, and have a driver's side LP fill port.

I would also like to add: I'm not crazy about running high pressure LP across the inside of the RV based on what I have learned. So if you attempt an upgrade of this type, like I did, I really hope you check your connections every season with a soapy-water-bottle to make sure they are not leaking.

Also, the LP tech who coach me emphasized that you should only use the gas-pipe-dope to attach your fittings and not the yellow Teflon tape. He says, sooner or later the Telfon tape will leak, and he should know.

...I'm still shocked Neub's 2005 Journey (Diesel) has the LP tank and fill port on the passenger side. ...But when you are wrong... you are wrong... and it's important to admit it.

PS
Putting the LP tank on the passenger side is a definite plus, but wouldn't that interfere with your basement storage space?

...Or maybe the LP tank is on the driver's side and the LP fill is on the passenger side? IDK. CreativePart can tell us?
Old 06-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

My tank and fill are both on the passenger side. Were the tank to be on the driver's side, I'd have to give up storage on that side so it seems like a push. On the passenger side, my basement A/C is in the back corner with my tank just ahead of it, with storage from there forward. On the driver's side, my generator is in the back corner with my electrical hookup bay just forward of it, followed by my water/waste bay and then storage from there forward.

I wonder if the location has anything to do with Diesel vs. gas Class As.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:36 PM   #12

BobC: So you and CreativePart has Gas rigs. Is that right? If so, you guy seem to have the advantage of having LP gas fill ports on the passenger side, which explains why you guys would support the use of an Extend-A-Tank valve to provide LP HIGH PRESSURE GAS to your outside BBQ.

And according to CreativePart.. "neub" also has his LP gas fill valve on the passenger side of his diesel + Freightliner chassis RV.

neub: I that correct? Do you have your LP gas fill valve on the passenger side?
Old 06-13-2021, 11:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Mine is a gas MH.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Yes my lp tank is on the passenger side with the fill port on it...open up the door and the tank is staring you in the face. Our Infinity gas mh also had it on the passenger side.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Revitalizing an old thread, but my 2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD (Diesel) has the tank and port on the passenger side.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have been very happy with a low tech/low price solution. I just used and extenda-stay with a cheap $30 BBQ, and it works well. When the BBQ dies, I will replace it with another $30 grill.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, parts