Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hot water Heater

Hello RV'ers, On my last outing I ran into a problem with my Hot water heater, it was only providing hot water for about 2 seconds and I did get hot water out if the cold tap, it wasn't a big deal b/c the park had s nice bath house and I've been busy getting my towed fixed up ('91 jeep wrangler) but I've got another trip in 3 weeks and I'm sure I'll need my shower and I'm not taking another cold shower so any ideas? is this going to be an easy fix or do I need to take it to a service center?
Thanks,
Tom
ussnewco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you provide the make and model of water heater, we can help you in more detail. Have you checked the valves that bypass the water heater when winterizing? Perhaps one is not set properly. Also check your outside shower. If both valves are open, but the shower head is off, water can pass from hot to cold.

The smart aleck in me must point out, there is no such thing as a hot water heater, hot water wouldn't need heating. It's a water heater.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bob

Water heater, too funny I've call them that all my life and never thought about it, I'll find the make and model of the water heater in the morning, and check the bypass valve, I have checked the outside shower and all is well there
ussnewco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Check the bypass (winterizing) valve at the water heater. If it's leaking by you may get a burst of hot water followed by the cold water that's bypassing the heater.
Skip y
2010 Journey 40 TD
2015 Equinox
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Along with the make and model of the water heater, tell us of any features, such as gas only, gas and electric, pilot light or DSI, etc. The more information, the easier to help you.

Over the last holiday weekend, my father-in-law lost hot water on day two; water heater would not turn on with either gas or electricity. We have ordered a new thermal cut-off and circuit power board for his Atwood. Parts are in but not yet installed, so we'll see if that solves the problem. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The inside shower can also cause similar conditions described in the OP if the H&C water valves are open but the shut off valve on the hose or shower head is closed.

Not sure if you have a shut off valve on the hose or shower head but it's worth a look.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Along with the other excellent advice so far, FYI, when you are in the outside water heater cabinet, note that many of them have a device called a Chemical Fuse. Those damn things blow all the time for no reason but, you can just short them out for testing. Same goes for the other two devices. There's the high limit switch and the temperature switch. Both of which can be shorted out when you're testing in there.

But that's advice that applies if you're not getting any hot water. The bypass valve is most likely the problem if you are.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater