Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hot Water From Engine

2006 Winnebago Tour. Engine radiator once heated the hot water while driving. Last two times out this didn't happen. Can't find schematics or info on how to trouble shoot. anyone else with same problem/solution? thanx
airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Not try to be a smart acre, but have you checked the radiator water level? Other than a pinched hose or plugged line that would be the only problems that I can think of that would stop the water heater from getting warm.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do you get heat from the dash heat vents? That should be the same water line that connects to the MotorAid unit attached to the water heater. If you don't perhaps those lines are shutoff with the two yellow shutoff valves underneath on the driver's side of the engine.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne View Post
2006 Winnebago Tour. Engine radiator once heated the hot water while driving. Last two times out this didn't happen. Can't find schematics or info on how to trouble shoot. anyone else with same problem/solution? thanx
It will probably take an hour+ to heat your 10 gallons of hot water. How long did you drive it on each trip?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

appreciate the feedback. Filled the radiator and then drove for 90 minutes. During the drive had the cab heater on and it was providing some heat. May have taken heat from the water heater area. Will try longer drive without cab heat the next time out. thanx.
airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was told I needed to rive at least 100 miles for the water to be hot when we arrive
Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Do you know if that system would be the same for a 1971 brave (i bought it a week ago and currently fixing it up and im brand new to this)
thanks for any info
Jeff
FF_Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The "heater" is just a coil wrapped around the tank, and I'm pretty sure that it is in the return from the cab heater. I've never timed it, but if the cab heater was on, I doubt that 90 mins. would do the job.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

As Pusher stated, I have to drive for about 100 miles for my hot water heater to be completely heated by the running of the engine. I don't know the full flow from the heater to the radiator and back but, I know that it takes a while for the water to get hot. I don't think that the running of the cab heater will have any effect on the hot water heater getting hot.