Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hose to connect weber grill to rig tank.

I was pleased to learn that our new rig allows us to connect our Weber gas grill to the rig gas tank. Accordingly i ordered a "suitable" hose from Amazon. It connects well to the Weber grill. However the other end of the hose connects to an external 20 lb. gas tank, not to the rig's gas tank.

Does anybody know what kind of hose I need to connect to the Itasca Suncruiser 38Q.
arneinfloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

This is what you need 12' Propane Hose Assembly - Mr. Heater F271117 - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Does your rig have a low pressure or a high pressure outlet for the BBQ? If it's low pressure you'll need to remove the regulator from the BBQ. Take a picture of the outlet if you can.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #4

Bbq

You can not use a BBQ with a regulator, as the coach has a low pressure system with a built in regulator. It will not work correctly. Not sure if removing the existing regulator on your Weber will work. I was told no, that if I wanted to use the coach propane I had to purchase one that was built without a regulator. We did and it works great.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Did you read the owner's manual? It explains how the accessory outlet works. It will normally be a 1/4" fitting. If you are not familiar with working on and testing propane systems, I'd suggest letting a pro build the right hose for your BBQ and modify it as required.

Sometimes it's just easier to get a small 5lb or 10 lb tank for the BBQ.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

This is true, if your Webber is not an RV BBQ then it will not work from the MH's gas line. The hook up on the MH is AFTER the regulator thus it is a Low Pressure system. RVQ went under but there is another company that has made a BBQ that is designed to work with the low pressure setup, Camping World sells the setup. It is designed to hang off the side of the MH or even be set on a table next to the MH as long as the hose is long enough.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

take the hose to a auto parts store and they can cut and replace with the end you need. just take the grill and the fitting on your rig you are going to use.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

Bbq

CW has the one that can hang but only has a 2 foot hose, and I did not want to hang it and the hose was not long enough to put it on a table to go under my awning. Went on-line and got a 10 foot hose made for it from a company in Wis.. Had it within two days. That BBQ comes as a hybrid, so it can work off gas or electric. Works well, all stainless.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Rather than purchasing a new grill I purchased a gas T fitting that fit before the propane regulator and then I was able to use my existing BBQ. Part cost about $40 and most RV places should have them. If you decide to install the T remember that the threads on the propane line are reverse threads. I almost twisted mine off before I realized that.

Ck this site: http://www.demartinirvparts.com/part...oducts_id=5827
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I would suggest you tap into the high pressure side of the propane supply and stop trying to modify your grill to work. You can also use this device to add a supplemental tank if your main tank runs low. Available from Camping World aand other RV suppliers: Propane Adapter Tee - Mr. Heater F273751 - Propane Accessories - Camping World
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We did what you are trying to do. We took the regulator off the grill and bought an adapter for a quick connect to the hose we installed that taps into the RV LP line. Works perfect. The grill needs a regulator but only ONE. If your supply is regulated at the tank then take off the one on the grill. If you can tap the tank before the regulator then leave the grill regulator on. Running the LP through both regulators will cut the pressure so low that you'll only get a very low flame.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

My rig came with cheap throw away grill for out door kitchen. Got a weber q 2000. Removed regulator, have quick disconnect on both ens of gas line. Got fittings at Home Depot. I would not modify expensive rv since it is already set up. Modify your grill by removing regulator. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I need to disagree with those of you that say you can't run the Weber Q off of the Winnebago quick connect fitting. I purchased this hose or similar form Amazon Mr. Heater F271470 15-Feet Propane Appliance Hose Assembly, I added a brass male quick connect fitting to the rv end of the hose, then removed the regulator from the Weber Q & attached the propane hose. Works just fine. I have been using this regularly for about 2 years now with no problem regulating my heat of my grill.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

If your quick connect fitting is before the tank regulator you will need a regulator before the Weber grill.
I had a 25' hose made up at a full service propane dealer, with all the required fittings. It cost me $87.
After about three uses, using the regulator that came with the Weber I had to replace the regulator with a new one I purchased at an Ace hardware store, in, of all places, the Weber display section. It has performed great for three years now.
The old regulator leaked the yellow rotten egg stuff when I set it down so it might have been good, just contaminated.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Do you all consider any type of shut off at the stove to be a "regulator". I have a "T" before the regulator on the coach and then the hose connecting to a camp stove with this
http://www.amazon.com/StanSport-185-.../dp/B004RDQT92

I also use the hose with a gas grill that has a more regulator looking on, off, adjustable control.
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Neither of these are propane regulators. However I do not recall a Coleman stove with white gas having a regulator. The regulator regulates propane at apprx 11 inches on a water scale. If you Tee into your propane before the coach regulator you will need a regulator at the grill, not sure with the camp stove, but I would suspect you need one here also. If you Tee in after the coach regulator then you want to remove any regulator on your grill.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:34 PM   #17

Not enough gas pressure to my new BB@ grill

I bought a Coleman folding gas grill and it cooks steaks better than I expected... but only when I screw a propane canister into the gas port.

I then bought a "Mr. Heater 12' Quick-Connect Propane Hose Assembly" so I can use the propane tank in my RV, but the flame is not strong, very weak really, and sometime the flame goes-out!

According to "NITEHAWK" my problem is that my gas T fitting is located "after" the RV regulator, because I'm still using he regulator that came with the Coleman gas grill.

Here's what NIEHAWK says: "If you Tee in after the coach regulator then you want to remove any regulator on your grill."

* If this is true, then maybe this explains why I am not getting enough gas pressure to the grill? Can anyone confirm this?

...So is sounds like I should just remove the regulator to the Coleman BBQ?
Is that right?

However, there are also times when I want to use portable butane canisters. So what is the best solution for both applications? I.e., sometimes I want to use a screw-in gas canister; and other times (most of the time) I want o use my RV gas to "flame-on" the grill. How do I accomplish this?

Note: I can't say enough good things about this grill. It has a cast iron grill and the center is a steak-griddle. So it never fames-up! ...And my steaks are seared to perfection!

Then I just fold it down and roll it into my basement for easy storage. I should have bought this grill 5 years ago!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Coleman Cast Iron Grill.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	178920   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Coleman Folding Grile with Cast Iron.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	178921  

Name:	4 Plumbed Gas Line.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	178922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Heater 12' Quick Connect Hose Assembley.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	178923  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Propane quick connect hose and connectors

I am still struggling with the hose connections to connect to my Micro MInnie quick disconnect plug. Finding a plug to go to the RV is easy. It is the end that connects into some type of appliance that is the problem. I bought a GASPRO 20 Feet Low Pressure RV Propane Quick Connect Hose Extension - 1/4 inch Safety Shutoff Valve & Male Full Flow Plug for RVs to connect to my RV propane quick disconnect and a standard BBQ grill or in my case a propane fire pit. The 1/4” male fitting works fine into my Micro Minnie but I need a standard Female Type 1 fitting for the other side (to connect to a gas grill). Has anyone seen such a combination? If not, is there an adapter which will convert the female quick disconnect valve to a standard Type 1 female fitting? (the type of fitting one would find on a standard propane tank)
shanghaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #19
Site Team

Don't overlook that your gas grill almost certainly has a propane regulator attached and this must be removed before you can connect it to an already regulated propane source - i.e. your RV's quick connect is already regulated.

Once you remove the regulator from your grill THEN you'll know what kind of connection you need your new hose to provide.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #20

To reach the maximum number of people who can help me understand my quandary over using my 30Gal LP Tank to provide propane gas to my grill...

...This post is a duplicate I posted on another thread, but in all fairness I'm not sure if my grilling problem is LP related or if it has more to do with buying a high quality steak?

By trial and error, I found out my Coleman #9406 "Excursion" grill uses a built-in 15psi regulator; and it would not lite when I tapped into my existing remote "hookup" ...because the T-Fitting was located after the Large LP Tank Regulator.

During this learning curve, other people have told me the LP Tank Regulator only puts out 12-12.5 PSI; so this explains why my Coleman grill would not work with this configuration.

So today I spent 4 hours moving the T-Fitting from the "after" regulator side of the 30 Gal LP Tank to the "before" side of the regulator (because I had to return to the ACE hardware store twice for parts) and now it get a very good, blue-looking, gas flame in the grill, and it heats up just like it did when I was using gas canisters. So now I'm expecting a "home run."

Not so...

I cooked a Walmart bought "Black Angus, Grass Feed, Rib-eye" and it tasted horrible.

Note: I have purchased very good beef from Walmart before, but not this time; or maybe the gas source is the problem?

Now if you remember I said this same Coleman "Excursion" grill cooked my steaks to perfection the first time I used it, but not today. So I have to know why?

Here are the variables:

1) The grilled to perfection steak -- I bought at Sam's Club in Puerto Penasco, MX. It was top grade and priced like a prime cut. The brand indicated it was from Mexico and the label was in Spanish. Then I cooked it using the common Coleman gas canister method.

2) The terrible ribeye mentioned above I bought at Walmart in Montana; and it was from a brand called "Marketside Butcher" and the label indicated grass feed, Black Angus. Then I cooked it using my new 30G LP gas line connection... with the T-Fitting before the RV tank regulator.

So, yes, the cuts of beef the same, but the source is different. And yes, I changed the grill heat from the canister gas method to the "before" 30Gal LP tank gas source.

QUESTIONS

1) When you tap into the 30Gal LP Tank, "before" the tank regulator, is this gas line now subject to LP oil accumulation/contamination, because the tank regulator is not in play?

Note: The 15psi Coleman regulator is still there and from the tank I connected a gas line to the Coleman "Excursion" Grill. So if there is an "oil" concern doesn't the regulator block it?

or

2) Does the LP source make no difference... and I have to conclude this is the difference between Mexican Top Grade Beef and USA-Black Angus beef sold at Walmart?

The first picture shows where the T-Fitting is "after" the 30Gal Tank Regulator; and the second picture shows where the T-Fitting is "before" the 30Gal Tank Regulator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BBQ Gas Connection On Passenger Side.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	179437   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Coleman Cast Iron Grill.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	179438  

Name:	Coleman Model #9460 - Under Regulator Cover.jpg