Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Holding the anode rod question

I'm not used to having an RV water heater with anode rod. I struggle to keep the rod aligned to make the threads catch right after I drain the tank as it has to be held uphill about 15-20 degrees. Anybody got some "magic" trick to doing this?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Not sure if you are trying to thread the anode rod in using just your fingers...but I always found it easier to lineup and thread in when I used a socket and 4-5" ratchet extension rather than my finger tips. I just put the anode rod into the socket and used the socket and extension to turn the anode rod and thread it in.
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm not finding the right combo of socket, etc. to get it in the right alignment. A short socket gets me close but I can't hold it so the rod doesn't pull it down and make the threads catch wrong. The deep socket lets me tilt the rod to close to right but then the socket contacts the bottom of the heater and stops me getting to the right level.
Maybe just not holding my mouth right but it seems like there might be an easier way and I sure don't want to get into cross threading as that can get rough to repair threads or replace heater!
I have eventually got it to go but it really takes me enough time to make me regret having the brand that uses an anode rod! Just one of those things that I didn't know I needed before getting this newer RV? Not a point I had considered before as the RV I've had seemed fine without the rod and I had not faced the idea of getting it back into place.
Most of my anode rod experience has been on home water heater but those just hang straight down and the weight doesn't throw it off like when the rod is close to horizontal.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I put a little downward pressure on the top of the anode “nut” with one hand and use the other hand to start turning it in. Once it’s finger tight I’ll use a socket. I don’t use a socket to start because it may be harder to detect a cross-thread issue.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote