Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

All of a sudden I have no hot water. I mean absolutely no water flow when the hot water valve is turned on. I have good cold water flow then the cold water is turned on. I have no hot water in the bath, shower, kitchen or outside water sprayer. It is as if something has clogged the hot water line. Any ideas of what to check?

My hot water heater was working perfectly. Does the hot water heater get clogged?

I would call Winnie but this happened on Sunday and they are closed.

Thanks.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

All of a sudden I have no hot water. I mean absolutely no water flow when the hot water valve is turned on. I have good cold water flow then the cold water is turned on. I have no hot water in the bath, shower, kitchen or outside water sprayer. It is as if something has clogged the hot water line. Any ideas of what to check?

My hot water heater was working perfectly. Does the hot water heater get clogged?

I would call Winnie but this happened on Sunday and they are closed.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #3

This may not be what your problem is, but at a seminar at GNR this year, we learned that you need to flush out your hot water heater at least once a year. They said you would be surprised at the stuff that accumulates in it. They sell a wand that curves and just fastens to a water hose and loosens the sludge in the water heater.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

HERE is some reading material for your water heater check valve. Your symptoms sound very familiar.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you have Electrical Winterization switches on the water system, make sure the one that controls the Water Heater bypass is not 'on'.

Our's is located in the laundry closet and a falling object hit the switch and turned it on. The water then was then bypassing the heater and no hot water anywhere in the coach. DW noticed the pilot light light, switched it off, and all was back to normal.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Failure of the check valve is very common and a cheap fix if you have access to the back side of the heater. There are two check valves.one on the inlet and one on the outlet which is probably the one that failed. They are less than 10 dollars but a pain to install.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. Here's where I am. I have good water flow into the hot water heater but no water coming out. If I turn the hot water heater bypass valve to "bypass" I have water coming through the faucets but it is obviously bypassing the hot water heater.

I connected my air compressor to the clothes washer hot water valve in an attempt to blow out the hot water line and I had no restrictions, the air blew through the lines into the hot water heater.

Based on your posts, it is obviously a bad check valve on the hot water output side of the hot water heater. I have attempted to locate this valve and cannot see it. Does anyone with a 40 AD model know where the check valve is located?

Also, how can I get access to this valve?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If your 05 is like my 04 and the heater is behind the battery bay door just in front of the A/C unit then you will find by getting under your coach there is an access panel. It is below and behind the water heater, it is in the same plane as the ground and rectangular in shape as I recall.

When you take this panel off you will find your check valves and also the electric heater element. I have not done this myself but should be easy enough if you are handy.

Let us know how it went.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote