Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

“Heated Holding Tank Compartment”?

Hi - new to the site - we have a 2015 Itasca Sunova from new and which I just noticed in the brochure states there is a “heated holding tank compartment”. Does anyone know what that means and what is actually heated and by what _ propane furnace or electrical somehow? Planning to add some holding tank heating mats so want to check what I really need. Thanks
Brushcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Usually that means there is a small vent from the furnace to that compartment, which in our experience isn't very effective. Naturally the furnace must be running to provide the minimal heat, so in extreme cold more effective measures are probably needed. (I'm not sure this is true for the Sunova, but it is a typical setup in many RVs.)
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thnaks will check that out
Brushcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

There is a rectangular heat duct tied to the propane furnace that runs the length of the floor from the duct in the front of the rv to the duct in the back, with floor duct in the middle and a 3" hose coming up thru the floor that leads to a duct in the bathroom. There is a 3" hole in the bottom of that duct that puts heat into the basement only when the propane furnace is running. The return air side of the furnace draws the air back in from the basement. Having the water heater on also will put some heat into the basement.

If you have your water heater on and are running the furnace at a "normal" temperature such as 60 degrees or more it should keep your water pipes, water tank, and holding tanks from freezing at temps in the mid to high 20s. Below that beware. If you heat with electric heaters in the living area of your RV and not the propane furnace then the basement will need some other heat source to protect things in there from freezing.

Personally I added insulation and closed air gaps below the floor on my Vista to try to help
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, tank