Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Heat pump seems to be very noisey

How loud should the heat pump sound when kicking in and running? I thought is should be somewhat quiet but it wakes up the DW and even myself when it runs. I have a 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD. I have noticed up on the roof that there is something slightly leaking but doesn't seem in excess. If Freon is slowly leaking would this make it run louder?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

How do you know something is leaking, water dripping off the side? In which case that would be normal. The cool side of the system is on the outside when the HP is running and the warm side is inside keeping you warm. Condensation has to go somewhere. The could be lots more but much of it is thrown off via the fan on the roof. And, yes they are noisy.

You can put the inside fan on slow which cuts down the noise. You can also only run the front unit when you are sleeping and use warmer bedding if required to keep warm in the bedroom. Or, buy a supplemental electric heater which is quiet.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. It isn't condensate as I have tried to wash it off and have to work very hard to get some of it off. May look at supplemental heat.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It will sound like you air conditioner. Because it is.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We solved that problem by turning both heat pumps off at night.....the DW likes it cool.....or when its really cold out we run just the front heat pump.....both pumps are connected to the same duct work...
I think what you are finding is condensate mixed with dirt...if it was freon by this time your heat pump would not be working too good
And freon would evaporate...
Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I tried using the heat pump, but it seemed too loud, so I just use the aqua hot. My aqua hot seems loud also when on diesel burner, going to have it checked out on the 9 th of jan. I turn the burner off at night and just use the electric on the front zone set at 63. Works good for us.

2012 QD
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Winnebago uses a condensate pump. Condensate should run out the back, not down the sides. I am not positive, but I don't think you make condensate when running in heat mode, only cooling mode.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bay I View Post
How loud should the heat pump sound when kicking in and running? I thought is should be somewhat quiet but it wakes up the DW and even myself when it runs. I have a 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD. I have noticed up on the roof that there is something slightly leaking but doesn't seem in excess. If Freon is slowly leaking would this make it run louder?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
We have the little sister to your coach. There are tubs running from the heat pump units to the back of the coach and can be seen by the engine air filter on mine. The ground is wet below that area when I use the units. These tubes can plug up. If you don't see water coming from them you should start by removing the drip cap from the tubs and clean them. Remove the shrouds from the units and clean the debris out. Blowing air down the tubes will clear them. Don't use too much pressure. Once they are clear you can put the caps back on and reinstall the shrouds.

As far as the jet engine wind noise is concerned... The very first unit we were in we commented on about this. It is normal. according to that sales person. I have no idea why Winne industries should not find this a nuisance to it's customers. Even on low fan it is loud. If any of the units are torqued down wrong you then have the mechanical noise added in.

If it is below freezing temps out be careful not to allow your basement to freeze. Your happy camping days might be interrupted abruptly.

Happy trails and New Year,
Rick

Tags
heat pump