Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Grey water tank sensors

Gents...

I have a 05 Journey 36G and after a few weeks on the road my gray tank level indicator always reads full.

When at a rv park I do not leave the hose connected all the time to drain the tank. I let the black water fill until the grey water is full. Then I dump whatever is in the black and use the grey water to flush out the hose. Close both valves and start over.

The black water sensors work fine. I have tried adding pinesol, bleach, vinegar (not at the same time) to the grey water with no improvement sensor wise. Also tried the geo method of adding powdered water softener (which is hard to find) with no improvement either.

Any ideas?

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Mark... Mine do too periodically. They get gunk on them inside the tank and show false signal. I flush the tanks well and add a little dish detergent in the warm weather....drive...slosh and dump....then they go back to normal. We go camping and wash out the greasy plates...shower with hair conditioners yadda yadda and that just sticks to the side of the tank. I refuse to chemical treat my tank to make those idiot light function properly.... would just drive up the cost of maintenance.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Just curious about this. Do you wipe all of the grease from your pans and plates before you wash them? Do either of you have a dishwasher?
Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Our monitor acts up on occasion also. Try using some Dawn and drive with your gray tank almost full on your next trip, then dump when you get to your destination.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Gents....
We always wipe pot and pans out with a paper towel, may not get all the grease but the vast majority.

We wash our dishes with dawn and only use shampoo as a soap in the shower.

Usually travel down the road with about 1/3 of tank to allow the water to slosh around.
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by malk415 View Post
Gents....
We always wipe pot and pans out with a paper towel, may not get all the grease but the vast majority.

We wash our dishes with dawn and only use shampoo as a soap in the shower.

Usually travel down the road with about 1/3 of tank to allow the water to slosh around.
OK Mark. Your housekeeping practices are good. Now for the rest of the story. Tell us more about your rig. If you post in your signature what your equipment is that gives us a better idea as to how to explore your problems.

Try this for a while. We buy Walmart's cheap enzyme based dishwasher power and backing soda. We put a cup or so in the tanks after each dump. In your case you may want to add a bit more when half full. We usually dump around 2/3 but you may want to wait 'till full. When you move leave your grey tank to about 1/3 warm water and the power. See if doing this a few times gets things working again.

If you have tank probes they may have to be replaced.

Our grey tank is open to the hose most of the time. Before dumping the black I close the grey valve and build up some water to flush the hose after dumping the black. No problem with the level gauges.

We look forward to hearing good new from you soon.

Happy trails,
Rick

PS: Dumping coffee grounds down the drain is not a good idea. Over time it will cause the valve to leak prematurely. They all do over time.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The problem is that the tank walls gunk up with wet gunk that fools the sensors. Anything that cleans the tank walls might help.

The 2005 model years have non contact sensors (TrueLevel system) on the outside of the tank. I installed them at the factory on my 2004 in 2005 and it screws up just like the through the tank wall sensors maybe not as quickly though.

Over the years I have tried all the remedies people suggest and found nothing that works.
I think that more gunk builds up if you are a full timer and stuff that might work for weekend warriors won't work for us.

One thing to note, I think it is better to let the black tank get as full as possible before dumping. That gets a good flow going so any solids will get carried out.
Since my gray tank fills in about three days I close my gray tank about three days before the black tank will be full so I have plenty of gray water to flush the line out.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by malk415 View Post
Any ideas?
Yessiree Bob:

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The enzyme power is the same idea but I use it constantly and I don't fill my grey tank when parked. The owners manual states letting the black tank get at least 2/3 before dumping. Bottom line? Try cleaning the tank with some dishwasher detergent. Your choice.

Rick
Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Have been using this product for a few years in both tanks and don't have any problems. In the grand scheme of things it is cheap and works great. Just mix a tablespoon in warm water and pour it down the sink. Leave some water in the tanks (both black and grey), add to the black tank as directed, and head down the road.
You will NOT have any more tank sensor or odour issues ever again.

Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water
Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have not looked at a black/grey tank gauge since 1995.

Frequent efforts to make the gauges show (possibly?) the actual level is futile and not required.

When the toidy tank is visually close to full, I dump them all.

Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Jerich: I do not do anything different in handling dirty items in my coach as in my brick and stick. The grease gets washed into the grey tank....and I just dumped the tank for winterization...it was a murk coming out. But knowing this and knowing it fouls the idiot lights makes no difference in my case. I know how to remedy it if it becomes important...fill, soap, slosh(drive), dump, test and repeat if needed. I have performed the task maybe 5 times in the past just messing around. The bolder question you might have is how do I know when it is time to dump the grey tank????? I can guess by water useage and observing the level in the water holding tank....OR....it gurgles...as the coach leans. I have rigged a spigot onto the grey water line and use that to drain off the grey water in a pinch if needed. I usually let it out in my yard...
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Jerich: I do not do anything different in handling dirty items in my coach as in my brick and stick. The grease gets washed into the grey tank....and I just dumped the tank for winterization...it was a murk coming out. But knowing this and knowing it fouls the idiot lights makes no difference in my case. I know how to remedy it if it becomes important...fill, soap, slosh(drive), dump, test and repeat if needed. I have performed the task maybe 5 times in the past just messing around. The bolder question you might have is how do I know when it is time to dump the grey tank????? I can guess by water useage and observing the level in the water holding tank....OR....it gurgles...as the coach leans. I have rigged a spigot onto the grey water line and use that to drain off the grey water in a pinch if needed. I usually let it out in my yard...
Interesting. I can't see my grey or black tanks. When I had the bad reading gauges in the old coach I knew it was time to dump when the shower basin was filling.

Not all the folks living on wheels are as rough and tough as you and some others. Some like to see what they are told by the manufacturer as being a convenience for seeing the status of the tanks actually work. True, this may not be as important as the EMS working properly but in your case, maybe not? Shiver me timbers matie! Full seas ahead!!!

Happy trails,
Rick

Tags
water, tank