Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Grey water tank enlightenment

I was getting ready to use this new water water treatment chemical (Sea-Zyme) and it says to clean your tanks prior to use.
We are heading out on a trip tomorrow. The sloshing of the water will clean your tanks and the drain them when you get to your destination. Then add the new odor eliminator.
The procedure is to fill your water tanks 1/3 and add 1/3 Dawn Original scent dishwasher detergent to each tank. I poured 1/3 cup Dawn in kitchen sink and filled the tank till it read 1/3 full on the galley side. Went and did the same thing in the bathroom thinking it would fill the bathroom tank. WRONGIt kept filling the galley tank. Pretty soon there was water backing up into the galley sink.
The bathroom grey tank only holds shower water.
Something else learned.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

on my moho, there is one 54 gallon gray tank that gets water from the galley sink, bathroom sink and the shower. this tank is drained by one gray tank dump valve.
then there is the black tank for the toilet that holds 40 gallons which is drained by the black tank dump valve. 2 dump valves=2 tanks.
if you have 2 separate gray tanks, you will have 3 dump valves.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have two grey tanks and valves. I was not aware that the bathroom sink emptied into the galley tank. I just assumed, (and you know what that means) that the bathroom sink emptied into the shower grey tank)
Old 07-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My bathroom sink empties into the Black tank. I was wondering why this was until I read somewhere that the number one mistake rv'ers make is not using enough water in their black tanks. It also comes in handy when dry camping to dump dish pan water into that sink. Not if there was just a easy way to equalize gray to black.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Holy crap! Ok, bad pun. It never occurred to me that my bathroom sink was draining into the black tank. I checked, and that is in fact what is happening. So, when I thought I was treating both by putting chemicals in the toilet and the bathroom sink, I was actually double treating the black, and not treating the grey ar all.

The things you learn on this site...
Old 07-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Maverick, there is an easy way to equalize your grey and black water tanks. Get one of those auxillary dump valves with the bayonet mount that most rv parts stores sell. Put it on where your dump hose connects, keep the new valve closed, open both the gray water valve and the black water valve. Whichever is fuller will flow over to the other untill they are equal amounts. We've done this for a few years now, works great, and I don't have to disconnect and go to the dump station so often while on extended stays.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I looked at the drawings for my coach but can't tell much from it as to if my lav drains to the grey tank. Anybody know about my model???