Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Grey water tank cleaning

I have searched the forums here and have gotten some ideas for cleaning the grey water tank, but nobody has mentioned Rid-X. I was wondering if using Rid-X (septic tank cleaner) would hurt anything in the plumbing or tank? The website says it is all natural bacteria that works on the grease and other stuff that accumulates in the system. I was thinking that if I used it when the tank sat partially full, it would work on the "stuff" and then would evacuate when I dumped it. What do you think?? Good idea? Bad idea?
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If it doesn't hurt the black water tank I can't see it hurting anything in the grey tank. All plumbing should be the same. Unless someone has something to ad that I am not aware of.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Enzymes don't eat plastic...would not think a bacteria would either.
we use enzyme for tough stains in laundry also....works great!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The trouble with rid-x is it takes a long time to work, its not an overnight thing...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I'm not sure you need to clean the grey tank - it most often is filled with soapy water from showers & dish washing. If I wanted to clean mine I'd simply add more dawn dish soap and lots of water. Just my thought.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

About twice a year we fill all the sinks with hot water and the shower. We stop up the shower with a rag. We have two sinks in the bathroom and a twin sink in the kitchen. With the grey tank drained and valve still open we pull the stoppers on all the sinks and shower. This "purges" the grey tank and you would not believe what comes out! A friend taught me this several years ago. We are very diligent with our tanks and never leave the valves open except to dump.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

The only thing that worked for us is a product by ROEBIC Industries. S G P it is designed to cut grease and other household residue in tanks. They also have a product for gray water rv tanks but its hard to find the S G P is sold in the plumbing dept of Lowes or Home Depot. We have the external level gauges on the tanks and had bad grease build up inside with inaccurate level readings last season, the only thing that solved the problem was the ROEBIC products I tried all the standard rv tank products nothing worked except the ROEBIC stuff. Fill your tank with 40 gallons of water and 8 oz. of the ROEBIC drive around for a few minutes let it it sit overnight and dump. Now I use the product monthly. Check out their web site they also have good customer service on the phone.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We normally sit a month or longer in our motorhome. When we do move from place to place, I typically add a cap full of liquid laundry detergent and some Calgon wetter to the empty grey tank and let it slosh around while we drive from place to place. When it fills and needs dumped you can tell from the appearance of the liquid coming out that something has been cleaned from the inside of the tank (seen through the clear part of the hose connection).
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Second the Shop Roebic Laboratories, Inc. Drain Soap, Grease and Paper Digester at Lowes.com SGP -- add to all your tanks when travelling and let it go to work.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Second the Shop Roebic Laboratories, Inc. Drain Soap, Grease and Paper Digester at Lowes.com SGP -- add to all your tanks when travelling and let it go to work.
John,

How often do you use this product?

Thanks,
Terry
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
I have searched the forums here and have gotten some ideas for cleaning the grey water tank, but nobody has mentioned Rid-X. I was wondering if using Rid-X (septic tank cleaner) would hurt anything in the plumbing or tank? The website says it is all natural bacteria that works on the grease and other stuff that accumulates in the system. I was thinking that if I used it when the tank sat partially full, it would work on the "stuff" and then would evacuate when I dumped it. What do you think?? Good idea? Bad idea?
First you do not have a septic tank. You have a holding tank and hopefully you don't hold it very long. Rid x is not the answer.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry43 View Post
John,

How often do you use this product?

Thanks,
Terry
Terry, we normally "treat" our tanks during our annual migration south (Bama) and again in the spring -- couple of days each time. The company also makes an RV specific product which we have not used -- IMO the product we got from Lowe's does the same thing. RV & Marine treatment Products by Roebic Laboratories, Inc. - 203-795-1283 - Specialty
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

In 20 years, never needed to. It was all water and soap. Did anyone have symptoms I never saw?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
doc
Winnebago Owner

Actually there is some very nasty stuff in a gray water tank. Bits of food and grease from washing dishes, tooth paste and saliva from lavatory, various soaps and such from the shower - and I am sure none of you ever whizzed in the shower while showering. Bar soap does build up a residue on the plumbing pipes.
I have no answers except to say that the plumbing in most houses have no clogs and buildup where laundry water (detergent) enters the plumbing system. Is hot water and laundry detergent the answer? Very hot water with this might be partial solution.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I have no answers except to say that the plumbing in most houses have no clogs and buildup where laundry water (detergent) enters the plumbing system. Is hot water and laundry detergent the answer? Very hot water with this might be partial solution.
Ditto Doc, our laundry and shower go into one grey tank and the dishwasher and kitchen sink into another. Toilet and bathroom sink go into the black tank. I'm not as concerned about the drains/pipes as we routinely use "Liquid Plumr" to remove any hair/grease/etc. buildup.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Can anyone tell me why my tank gauges say 2/3 after emptying tanks on my 2002 HR Scepter
mrbadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why my tank gauges say 2/3 after emptying tanks on my 2002 HR Scepter
Probably because the sensors have a piece of debris stuck on them or are coated with dirt/slime, etc. It is common for tank sensors to do what yours are doing and many of us have learned to ignore the gauges and use sound/experience to judge when tanks are full. We tend to sit in one spot for a month or so when traveling. As we travel to our destination sensors are cleaned from the liquid sloshing around in the tanks (with a little soap added) so when we arrive at our destination the gauges read correctly. After a few tank fills and dumps, however, the gauges gunk up and do not read correctly. It has never been a big enough problem for us to think about doing something, but there are external sensor systems (See Level) that seem to work much better.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Check out this product. I have used it for years. It works like they say it does and it is very economical compared to all the other magic potions on the market.
/Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water

Tags
tank, water