Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Grey Water Filtration System

Hello, I am looking into what options I have as a full timer to deal with the grey water from our coach. It is just typical greay water so I don't think just running a hose off the side of a hill is such a bad thing. With that in mind, you would always want to focus on using biodegradable environment freindly soaps for bathing and dishes. Aside from that there shouldn't be any issues but of course there are. Even at Burning man they tell people to haul out their grey water.

Now the best option would be to use some type of approved grey water filtration so that the water coming out would not violate local laws. Yes of course those could be all over the map. No don't go there.

But before I start looking into this I'm wondering what you folks out there in Full-Timer land have found as a solution to this issue.

Thanks for your time in responding.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaravelli View Post
Hello, I am looking into what options I have as a full timer to deal with the grey water from our coach. It is just typical greay water so I don't think just running a hose off the side of a hill is such a bad thing. With that in mind, you would always want to focus on using biodegradable environment freindly soaps for bathing and dishes. Aside from that there shouldn't be any issues but of course there are. Even at Burning man they tell people to haul out their grey water.

Now the best option would be to use some type of approved grey water filtration so that the water coming out would not violate local laws. Yes of course those could be all over the map. No don't go there.

But before I start looking into this I'm wondering what you folks out there in Full-Timer land have found as a solution to this issue.

Thanks for your time in responding.
i bought a 5/8'', 18'' long auger drill bit from harbor freight and use it to drill a hole in the soil. then i put a 1/2'' hose in this hole with a shutoff valve in it so i can adjust the flow of gray water so that it dribbles and does not overflow the hole. this works well in sandy soil, not so good in rocky soil. wally world has the sewer to hose adapter.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
It is just typical greay water so I don't think just running a hose off the side of a hill is such a bad thing.
That being the case, why don't you use it to wash your motor home and toad? Any left over you can maybe bathe in and brush your teeth.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
That being the case, why don't you use it to wash your motor home and toad? Any left over you can maybe bathe in and brush your teeth.
-- I personally don't see a problem with disposing of gray water into a suitable drain--many folks are on septic tank systems and waste water is filtered into the ground. Raw sewage would definitely not be an option. Then, I'm probably not as 'green' as some folks.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just wondering. What are you going to do with your Black water? Also, have you ever looked at the requirements of a legal septic drain field?

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
Just wondering. What are you going to do with your Black water? Also, have you ever looked at the requirements of a legal septic drain field?
Blackwater is hauled off every two weeks by a local porta pottie type company. Works great. Cost about $60/mnth.

On the question of septic, apparently I may not need to install a leach field as that is for septic fluid. A Drywell seems to be good enough. I have to check with local authorities. As for the other smart comment above, my landlord's leach field is 30 feet from me on the same hill....and she is legal.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Okay, I found my answer:

http://www.bracsystems.com/products.php?id=15&action=view_prod
This company makes an above ground grey water residential treatment system. Costs about 2,000 but it would be worth it to keep things legal and cleaner. It is a system we can take with us also. I still have to research more on Washington State laws but so far it looks like it could work.

If in fact a Drywell is all I need I can install one underground myself. The point with the grey water is not to let it run off above ground per local code.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
OK, the next time you dump down your garage sink from cleaning your tools or dump 409 down your bathroom sink or that hazardous waste you clean your bathroom tubs with let me know where it goes... you must haul it off so as not to pollute the earth. And yes, we use biodegradable soaps and environment friendly products for cleaning.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The one thing I've noticed about dumping grey water on the ground, is that coming from my tank it stinks pretty bad until it drys out. Having it go down a hole would minimize the smell issue.

I just heard from a property owner here in my home town in California, that they now allow owners to use shower & laundry water to irrigate your greenery on your property.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well, the simple truth is that I have found myself overthinking the solution. Digging a hole in the ground and creating a Drywell for grey water is simple and may in fact be within code in most cities. It just can't run off on top of the ground. I am reading through code now and don't yet have the answer, but we just need to be mindful of the nearby springs and so forth. The codes state the distance from nearby springs, ponds and storm drains and so forth. There a good many people who might go full-time were it not for this.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

FWIW In my township the Septic Inspector has the washing machine generate Sudsy Water and watches to make sure it is going into the Septic System, Not into a dry well. I do understand codes are different at each location. It is my understanding that if the water flows too fast into the ground it is more likely to reach, contaminate, a water source before it can be filtered naturaly.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Here's a TON of info on "Grey Water Policy" for at least 15 states and some other countries.

Gray Water Policy Center

I clicked on California and then Malibu to see what they allow.... geez, pages and pages of specs and definitions. I get the impression that for irrigation, they want limited rates of sprinkling for max dispersion, and not just a hole in the ground.

From this website:
"A compilation of grey water laws, suggested improvements to gray water regulations, legality & greywater policy considerations, sample permits, public health considerations, studies, etc.
For regulators, inspectors, elected officials, building departments, health departments, builders, and homeowners."

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The problem w/gray water is that it varies greatly in contents from practically pure water to carrying all sorts of junk, depending on a lot of un-policeable variables. If poured out on the ground it can get caught up in runoff and drain to a local stream and kill the fish, etc. If not leached into the ground in a way that will properly disperse, it will accumulate a slimey sludge that can grow & pollute the ground.

You can dispose of gray water easier in most instances than sewage, as sewage requires a disinfection cycle before disposal. The receiving soil has to be sufficiently porous but not too porous (if the latter, the soapy water heads straight to groundwater, same w/sewage leached direct into sandy soil that has no retention time).

You can have the soil tested to determine rate of percolation. You will need local Health Dept. rules to determine what the accepted range is, and how the test is performed. This type of waste water disposal requires a permit in most jurisdictions, and the drain system must be constructed according to particular specs to assure compliance and protection of surface and groundwater. If you construct something ad-hoc that seems to work initially, but fails later, you will probably find out when somebody complains & you have a citation & a cease & desist order w/financial penalties. It will likely fail in the winter when it is least convenient and most costly to get repairs made.

A dry well is usually a hole drilled till a highly permeable layer is reached. These are not suitable for waste water (either black or gray) for the same reasons as leaching into pure sand- no treatment of the effluent before it potentially enters ground water. They are less favored all the time even for simple urban runoff due to all the surface water junk that would go direct to groundwater.'
Hope this is useful.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Does anyone remember the water disposal system that drained grey and black into a cooker in the exhaust system and supposedly disposed of it that way ? I never tried it but can you imagine what the guy driving behind you was thinking. What kind of fuel is he using??
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Does anyone remember the water disposal system that drained grey and black into a cooker in the exhaust system and supposedly disposed of it that way ? I never tried it but can you imagine what the guy driving behind you was thinking. What kind of fuel is he using??
This type of Electric Combustion Toilet can be found in marine and RV applications. http://www.fritidstoa.se/AFAdmin/Akt...20Engelska.pdf
Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #16

http://www.motherearthnews.com/shopp...temnumber=4376

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It...-Low-Cost.aspx
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Let's see? Acid Rain or a little grey water??? hummm....
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
FWIW In my township the Septic Inspector has the washing machine generate Sudsy Water and watches to make sure it is going into the Septic System, Not into a dry well. I do understand codes are different at each location. It is my understanding that if the water flows too fast into the ground it is more likely to reach, contaminate, a water source before it can be filtered naturaly.
Thanks for that tip. I will do some research on that concept and see what comes up. I suspect I may end up with the portable system by Brac mentioned above. I would like to know the water is good enough to go into the ground and not avoid any heavy fines that would take an expensive attorney to undue which of course would all be money not recoverable.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Wow, thanks. I will look into that. If there is a sensible solution to this issue then a lot more people would be able to full-time it without having to worry about this or get stuck in a park.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, this is getting interesting and motivates me further to just pay the piper up front for the Brac system so we avoid those penalties. Gets complicated in a hurry. Also, the time to research and go to see all these public officials and work out a solution would cost a lot in terms of time off work. I will keep reading though as I see this as a major issue in our community. United Serices has done a great job of emptying my black water on schedule every two weeks to no issues there.