Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Grey tank jammed shut

2017 Minnie Winnie towable 2455bhs.

Hey Winnie owners. I’m camping now and I’m a bit of bother. They gray tank valve is jammed closed. Completely unmovable even with a lot of pulling. I cut into the underbelly but the cable runs way in to the unit. So two questions. First - is there a way to fix this myself. Second where the heck is the gate valve- it’s nowhere near the handle ! Thanks in advance.
Qzdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a new Minnie plus and on our maiden voyage we went to dump finding all 3 valves were seized. We were told this was a problem with manufacturing, all were replaced and now one gray won’t close completely.
Agashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry

Valves stuck open (not closing) are typical in new RV / Trailers. Quite often when the line workers cut into the tank, they leave debris that ends up blocking the valve. (Apparently it is cheaper to have warranty work than right-first-time). What confounds me is how the valve would be stuck closed - it's a gate valve so nothing should prevent it opening... but something clearly has....
Qzdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Any resolution here? I'm in the same situation --- black valve stuck closed. Thanks!
ScopeDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm in a similar situation with both gray and black tank valve releases, except they will open/close - you just have to have the strength of Hercules to manage it (and hope the handle doesn't pull off).

It's been to the dealer under warranty once for a series of issues. All they did was lubricate the cables, which worked for a while.

The unit is back in to finish off the warranty work (they were waiting on parts) and I pointed out the issue again. We'll see what they say.

I don't want to leave the rig there too long; who knows if they'll suddenly close due to lack of personnel and we won't be able to get our trailer out until they reopen.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

So I went to the dealer to day to pick up our TT as I was informed it was ready.

As I was checking things out I noted the tanks were still full, thus no one had looked at the black or gray tank valve releases.

The service manager called out a tech (not the one who worked on my unit, he was out today to tend his kids as our schools are closed) and he informed me there's no way to troubleshoot this without dropping the chloroplast (my valves are under the chloroplast and the actuators are through the frame) - which Winnebago denied as they consider this standard maintenance.

He did show me a can of "Nut Buster Plus" which he said is marvelous stuff - sort of like penetrating oil, silicon grease and WD-40 in one. He suggested I spray the cable operators at least once per use. He gave each of them a good dose and it was amazing how they loosened up.

So, one more maintenance item to tend to.

Does anyone else with a 2500FL have an issue like this?

Old 03-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The image didn't come across using the link - had to download to my computer and upload to the forum's server.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4887.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	173114  
Old 03-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well, on my 2108DS (2019 Model) I finally got it loose, and is working now. (See post earlier -- Black stuck in). I sprayed silicone lubricant all around the small part that was extended, and worked and worked on getting it to move, being careful not to break anything. Finally, it came out, and I sprayed a generous dose of the lubricant all over the exposed shaft. I worked it back and forth many times, adding the spray in between. It seems stiff, but works. Since my holding tank was empty, I added some quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil down the toilet (not because I thought quality mattered.... but because that's all the wife had). After an hour, I worked the valve a few more times, and it seems better, but not perfectly smooth. At least I'm back in business!
ScopeDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I know this is a older post but I am looking for that nut and bolt buster and can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know where you can get it? Searched Amazon and Ebay, etc. Thanks.
jnfrcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I would expect to find some form in most any auto parts store as it is a common item. Lots of different names for the same thing.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank