Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

What could cause my gray water to not dump (2001 Itasca 35U)? The valve has resistance on it when pulled and seems normal. All I get is a trickle and I know it is a least half full. Can't imagine how gray could get stopped up. Any suggestions? (The black works fine.) Thanks in advance, Steve
Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

What could cause my gray water to not dump (2001 Itasca 35U)? The valve has resistance on it when pulled and seems normal. All I get is a trickle and I know it is a least half full. Can't imagine how gray could get stopped up. Any suggestions? (The black works fine.) Thanks in advance, Steve
Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some times when they cut the hole in tank they forget to get the cut out disk out of the tank. Open the valve a little and push steel fish or plumbers fish to see if you can dislodge what ever it is. If you have a short piece of sewer hose put fish thru pipe so you can dump into bucket. BE FAST when it brakes loose. Good luck "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Could there have been a mix-up at the last dump station? (i.e.- dumping the gray, followed by the black, and leaving the gray valve open?)
Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Maybe the valve disk seperated from the stem.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

007 has the suggestion right for the first step.
You can use a straightend coat hanger (metal) to do the same thing. Push it up the opening and see what happens, you should be able to tell if the valve is open..Be careful and stand back. ( best suggestion of all is to be quick)
If that doesn't tell you anything then it has to be inside the tank. Remember its only Gray Water.
Just remembered, I have a FLUSH KING and this puts fresh water into the tank from the outside if your valve is infact working. If your valve isn't working then flushing from anywhere is not going to do any good. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:36 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had that happen to me one time when I had been hooked up for an extended period with the grey valve open. Mine was clogged with soap scum. I had been hooked up with a small garden hose draining only the grey water. I put hot water in the tank and let it sit for a few minutes then opened the valve again. Stand by for a real gusher if that was your problem.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
abn
Winnebago Camper

Maybe it is frozen??
Old 02-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all for the suggestions! It feels normal so I think the cable etc are intact and it is not freezing in Richmond so don't think that is the case. I haven't stayed with the drain open for long periods...BUT...we've only had the coach for a month and maybe there was stuff built up from earlier times that we have dislodged from our shakedown trips...it has dumped normally in the past but maybe somthing broke loose. I won't get back to the coach until Fri and I'll do the coat hanger thing then. I'll report back for your info and the onfo of folks in the future. Again, thanks for the good tips! Steve
Old 02-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
What could cause my gray water to not dump (2001 Itasca 35U)? The valve has resistance on it when pulled and seems normal. All I get is a trickle and I know it is a least half full. Can't imagine how gray could get stopped up. Any suggestions? (The black works fine.) Thanks in advance, Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Had that problem once. Found that valve was leaking so actually had nothing in tank.
DickS
Dick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Chippysgt - someone posted here about soap scum. I had the same poroblem on a 4 year old Pace Arrow that I had just bought. Only a trickel when I opened the gray valve. I put hot water in the tank from a faucet then ran a water hose up the valve into the tank. GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!!! Chuncks of soap scum came out. It really stunk but that cured the problem.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I got a PM asking what the result was. Sorry...I should have given feedback earlier. I could not get it to repeat in that it worked fine for several more dumps. But then, nothing came out and I thought it should be full. Coincidently, we've had a leak (I thought fresh water) so the dealer looked at it. Turns out the pipe had probably never been connected properly to the gray tank and it was leaking...thus, it wasn't dumping because it had leaked out. At least it was gray and not black! All seems normal now but we'll see after an upcoming trip. Thanks for all the advice here/ Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 03:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Glad to know the outcome and that you have your problem solved(?). Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I can tell you about a black tank leak, my half bath, looked down the hole saw a half moon of toilet paper the pipe into holding tank dropped out of floor flange. What a mess under in compartment had to spray watered down bleach for a couple of days to get rid of smells.
Pulled toilet pulled up pipe level with floor than glued pipe to floor flange like it should have been in the first place.
Of course it had to happen while on trip to Canada didn't find new floor seal until we arrived in a CG the owner had everything for Sealand toilets, plus the glue. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote