Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Gas Water Heater Problem

Just wondering if some one has a similar problem with my gas water heater staying lit. I have a 29 Sunstar and sometimes the water heater lights and sometimes it doesn't.

I had the ignitor replaced and seemed to work for awhile, now I have the same problem again
ajkishgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you recently had the propane tank filled? Sometimes there is a bit of air in the lines. Turning on a couple of stove burners for a few minutes will help purge the air. Also check the water heater burner for any bug nests or debris.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information. I did have the tank filled recently. Will try purging and check. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Is ita suburban water heater? If so, the direct spark ignition (DSI) module could be going bad. It’s a known issue and is only covered for 1 year, not 2.
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You can make sure that the spark ignitor / flame sensor is positioned so that the part with the 90 degree bend is right in the blue flame. Its held on by a sheet metal screw and sometimes it can shift. Make sure that screw is tight. The burner is also held on by screws and can shift, but this is much less likely.

You can also disconnect the spark ignitor wire from the module and plug it back in to make sure the connection is solid.

Try those things first before letting anyone replace a DSI module $$$
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information. I will try the adjustment.

Tags
gas, heat, heater, water, water heater