Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Great points. I'm having the same problem with my 1998 Winnebago Adventure. Terry Walter have you made the repair? If so did you do it yourself?

I've also posted to the forum http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/fres...ow-184525.html
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

I got tired of the cheap check valve device that might or might no hold and installed a ball valve in the pump inlet from the tank. If we will be using the pump, I simply open the valve. Otherwise when on city water, it remains closed to prevent flow back to the tank. I put it in the inlet line since the outlet line is impossible to install a valve.

Ken
Old 11-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I just noticed that the freshwater tank on my 06 Meridian is full to the top and leaking out of the overflow. We are traveling and I usually keep about 1/3 tank of water when going down the road. Apparently, when I connect to a faucet at night, the valve that allows you to either fill the tank or go directly into the coach is leaking and allowing water to fill the tank. I noticed some water on the ground and when I checked the level of the freshwater tank, it was filled to overflowing. This has happened more than once on this trip. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it? Replace the valve?
I had this problem with my 36G and it turned out to be the City Fill valve. It comes apart and I cleaned it, put it back together and it works fine. I purchased a new valve from Winnebago but have not installed at this since the original is working fine. Getting to the valve is hard since the panels are tricky to remove. Lots of screws! Good luck!
Ramblin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

The dreaded "2 possibilities". Bad check valve in pump OR bad 3-way valve. You can try to figure out the water path. If you have a soft vinyl loop in pump inlet/outlet you can pinch it closed with vicegrips (electrical tape on jaws to prevent damage). If the tank still fills, it's the 3-way valve.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

pump check valve

Had same experience on 2005 Itasca Horizon, replaced the city fill valve but did not fix, was told by Winnebago that it was the check valve inside the pump and needed to replace the whole pump. Went to buy the pump and the parts guy said just install a check valve on the output line from the pump. Problem fixed. Winnebago had me spending $120 for a new pump when all I needed was a $15 check valve. And yes replacing the city fill valve was no picnic, had to take the entire panel apart to get to it.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Had same experience on 2005 Itasca Horizon, replaced the city fill valve but did not fix, was told by Winnebago that it was the check valve inside the pump and needed to replace the whole pump. Went to buy the pump and the parts guy said just install a check valve on the output line from the pump. Problem fixed. Winnebago had me spending $120 for a new pump when all I needed was a $15 check valve. And yes replacing the city fill valve was no picnic, had to take the entire panel apart to get to it.
Yup ... and even weirder (IMHO) is that on my RV the Swan valve is all the way in the back in the utility cabinet and the fresh water tank is all the way in the front over the propane cabinet. So ... I open both cabinets, go to the other side of the RV to take off the gravity feed cap (so I don't over-pressurize the tank, go to the back and switch the valve, go to the front and watch the tank (so I don't overflow and soak the campsite near the entry door), run back to the valve when the tank is near full, replace the gravity feed cap, close all the cabinets, and go for a beer!

Soon as I get a chance I'm swapping the fill line to a shut-off and hose fitting at the fresh water tank compartment.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

I have a new Sunstar 26HE and had the same problem. The problem was the City Water/Tank Fill valve. The valve was replaced and it corrected the problem.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

The City Water/Fill valve is really easy to repair if it's leaking. You don't have to mess with plastic pipe connections at all, if you just take apart the valve from the front, assuming there is no cracks in the housing .... but then it would be leaking water right at the valve.

The handle easily pops off.
Then use pliers to screw off the cap.
Slide out the internal plastic shaft which holds the damaged rubber.
Replace the rubber & screw it back together.

So you just have to buy the replacement valve to get the inside rubber piece.

Then in the future, only turn this valve when after you turn off the water supply at the pedestal and release the pressure.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

had this just happen to me, so if i got this str8. when i hooked up city water, an had water on, an switched from city water to fill tank without turning water off. is this why my valve is leaking, an in future (after i fix this ) hook up water hose, turn it to fill tank, then turn on water. is this correct way? yes/no
thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
had this just happen to me, so if i got this str8. when i hooked up city water, an had water on, an switched from city water to fill tank without turning water off. is this why my valve is leaking, an in future (after i fix this ) hook up water hose, turn it to fill tank, then turn on water. is this correct way? yes/no
thanks in advance.
YES!!! I screwed up mine real fast filling the tank at home where the garden faucet is 90 psi.

Tags
tank, water