Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Questions??

Filled fresh water tank up, FULL, panel indicator showed full, went off for weekend, did not hook up to Park water. Used minumal water on Friday, nothing unusual.

Saturday noon tank level indicator shows red light, tank empty. No leaks, etc.

What do ya think... sensors, wiring, guage, ???
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Questions??

Filled fresh water tank up, FULL, panel indicator showed full, went off for weekend, did not hook up to Park water. Used minumal water on Friday, nothing unusual.

Saturday noon tank level indicator shows red light, tank empty. No leaks, etc.

What do ya think... sensors, wiring, guage, ???
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I didn't understand for sure if your water tank was in fact empty at Saturday noon when the indicators said it was, or not...

If it was in fact empty, then you likely a siphon effect out the overflow while driving. That can empty a full tank. If I need to arrive somewhere with maximum water in the tank, I don't fill it quite all the way full to avoid the overfull siphon problem.

If the tank was NOT empty, but the indicator says it is, the most likely problem is the sensors. That said, if you continue to have the problem, you might check to see if you can adjust the little "pots" on the back of the indicator circuit board. With the tank empty, adjust the pot to the point where the empty light is on but goes off with the slightest turn of the adjusting screw. The sensors are notoriously bad, especially on black and gray tanks but sometimes on fresh water too ...but sometimes the adjustments will help some.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
I didn't understand for sure if your water tank was in fact empty at Saturday noon when the indicators said it was, or not...

If it was in fact empty, then you likely a siphon effect out the overflow while driving. That can empty a full tank. If I need to arrive somewhere with maximum water in the tank, I don't fill it quite all the way full to avoid the overfull siphon problem.
SNIP
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul your advise about the adjustment pots was good but I don't think the water loss while driving is a siphon effect.
The overflow is on the top of the tank and does not extend down into the tank. If a siphon occurred it would be broken when the water dropped a little. It might suck the tank down a little since the tank is somewhat flexible but that should stop quickly.

What seems to cause the loss is that due the shallow nature of the tank water can slosh out as the motor home rocks back and forth.
At the factory Winnebago added a loop that goes up and above the top of the tank and that fixed the problem on my motor home.

One thing that does happen that you might think is a siphon is that when the tank is filled until it overflows, the air often can't escape quickly enough and the tank expands. Then when the water is turned off the tank will force water out of the overflow until it resumes it's normal shape.

The most water I ever lost due to sloshing was about a third of a tank.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't know if it is a siphon effect or what, but I'm sure the problem I have seen is not due to simple sloshing. It happens only when the tank is filled to the overflow level, and then the coach is driven. I know folks who have filled their tank to overflowing, then hit the road and arrived at their destination with a nearly empty tank. I myself have lost apx 3/4 of a 100 gallon tank. I don't understand how, since my understanding of the overflow is as you described, but it can happen! I have learned that if I need to take a full tank of water with me and I get the tank filld to the overflow level, I need to pull the fresh water drain open for several seconds to break the vacuum or whatever. After that, I don't lose water. I normally travel with just 1/2 tank or less, and have not lost any water at that level from sloshing or any other reason.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys for the replies but I didn't mention that the tank did overflow when filled.

I shut off the water source, removed the hose from the fill. In the meantime the water is flowing out of the overflow line and that continues for about a minute. Once that stopped I opened the drain valve on the tank and let flow for about 2-3 minutes. Inside monitor for the freash water tank still showed full.
Trip for the weekend was only 40 miles from home. Didn't check the monitor until Saturday, at that time monitor showed empty.

Any solutions.......?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Didn't check the monitor until Saturday, at that time monitor showed empty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guess I'm just dense ...still don't understand. Was the tank actually empty on Saturday when the monitor showed empty ...or was it still full?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I don't know unless I drain it and see how much comes out, or maybe tap on the tank and do the sound check.

But I can't believe I lost 50+ gallons of water in 40 miles, etc.

All I am saying the MONITOR said empty.

David
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

David;

I am assuming yours is like mine. I open up my door above the propane tank and put a light (flash light or trouble light) next to the end of the tank. I can clearly see the water level. This is the procedure I follow camping around home. I usually only fill it half full to cut down on weight. You and Sue have a good winter.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Gauges are very deceptive.
You started out with full tanks. You said it overflowed.
Use the water till your pump runs dry, observing your gauges as you use it.
Then you will know. You can do this in your driveway at home.
Ex. I know that when my gauge reads empty I still have at least 15 or so gallons left.
Alternatives. Install a new momitor system. Or recalibrate your present one.
I just live with the idiosyncrasies of my present system and it works out just fine.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Don, thanks, I will try that this week end. Great idea!!

By the way, as you know we removed the entertainment center and put the LCD on the wall. Well, that was great but the dining table now really looked out of place!! Also, when ya have company and use the leaf, it is difficult to get from the kitchen to living room because the table is now about a foot from the island.

Soooooooo, out it came and we found a real nice 36" round cherry drop leaf bar table, nearly perfect match, cut the legs down, and, wala, added more move around space. About 2 feet!!
Let me know if ya ever decide ta pull your, it's time consuming!!

Well, the best to you and Bev, don't get too cold up there, it got almost down to 60 degrees last night, had ta put a jacket on while having a toddy on the deck.

And thanks to all of you that gave your thoughts. I will investigate this weekend and let ya all know my findings.

And all of you have a great Thanksgiving!!

David and Sue