Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have a small leak somewhere around the top of my fresh water tank. It only shows up when I fill the tank completely full. This doesn't happen often as we don't do much dry camping. I usually have it only about 25% full for on the road use. I'm not big on being a water tanker.

The bottom plate of the big, metal box that surrounds the tank now has some rust. I would like to remove the bottom plate to work on the rust and maybe the rest of the box to try to track down the leak. Does that bottom plate support the weight of the tank or is it, and the rest of the box, just there to protect the tank from road hazards?

Seems like the tank would be suspended by some kind of straps from above, but I'm hesitant to start unbolting (LOTS of bolts) that bottom plate till I know if it's weight bearing. Anyone had this box apart?

I called Winnie but didn't get a very understandable or logical answer, so I thought I'd try the real world before I call back...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'll be watching for the answer as I also have the same corrosion.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #3

Have you gone to the Winnebago web site and called up the manual for plumbing. You can do that by clicking on "resources" at the top menu and it will take you to the area and click on "manuals and diagrams. From there you can select the model and year of your coach.
It may at least give you a better picture of what it looks like under your coach before you start taking off bolts and such. Just a thought.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had a similar "leaks when nearly full" situation on my fresh water tank during the first year. One end of the tank is accessible above the battery compartment at the right rear of the coach, and there is a large diameter access hole there with a screw-in cap. I found the cap was leaking, and noted it had no gasket. The dealer solution was to seal it with silicone caulk in spite of my telling them that was EXACTLY what I did NOT want done as I use that cap as the insertion point for Sodium Dichlor crystals when I sanitize the water system. I found a sheet of relatively soft rubber and cut a gasket for the cap. It has never leaked again.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by tomsm:
I have a small leak somewhere around the top of my fresh water tank. It only shows up when I fill the tank completely full. This doesn't happen often as we don't do much dry camping. I usually have it only about 25% full for on the road use. I'm not big on being a water tanker.

The bottom plate of the big, metal box that surrounds the tank now has some rust. I would like to remove the bottom plate to work on the rust and maybe the rest of the box to try to track down the leak. Does that bottom plate support the weight of the tank or is it, and the rest of the box, just there to protect the tank from road hazards?

Seems like the tank would be suspended by some kind of straps from above, but I'm hesitant to start unbolting (LOTS of bolts) that bottom plate till I know if it's weight bearing. Anyone had this box apart?

I called Winnie but didn't get a very understandable or logical answer, so I thought I'd try the real world before I call back...
My Journey came with a leak in the fresh water tank. There was an inspection plate on one end of the steel box ( I think the front end) which they removed & patched the leaking fitting going into the tank with some kind of plastic patch.
ns09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago replaced my fresh water tank several years ago, due to a small leak at the center weld area. I watched part of the process of them dropping the old tank, and from what I remember, the bottom plate is what holds the weight of the tank. No straps that I remember.

If I were unbolting that bottom plate, I would have some blocks, and a hydraulic jack positioned to take the weight, of course, after draining the tank. But you may be able to solve your problem without removing the tank, as others have suggested.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the replies! CaptBill has the info I was looking for - the weight is on that plate. The person I spoke to at Winnie did say the tank didn't weight much when empty, however the plumbing diagrams show several connections on top of the tank. I doubt you could drop the tank very far without disconnecting those and how do you access them? I've been behind the front access plate several times and don't think it gives any access to the top, just the dump valve and wiring for the water level indicators. Paul, I don't think mine has that access plate at the back. But then, I've never looked there either. But I will.

I'm thinking maybe, with the tank empty and supported with a piece of thick plywood on a floor jack, it would be possible to unbolt the whole metal box and drop it down enough to reach over the top of the box and disconnect the fittings. Don't know if I'm brave enough or stupid enough to try that though.... This may be a good reason to attend GNR...

Going to be busy with other things for the next few weeks, but I'll update this with the resolution eventually.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I filled mine last week completly full and had water dripping/running out underneath. I released some of the water with the dump valve and it stopped.
I just assumed it was an overflow vent.
However mine was more than a drip from a small leak.
I do believe they are designed to do that, but not positive.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Ron, that sounds like the normal overflow to me. If the tank is leaking, you'll have water slowly coming out between the bottom plate and the sidewalls of the metal box that encloses the tank.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

When you get to the area..Eternabond may be a suitable fix. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote