Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fresh Water Tank Leak

Hi - I was following a post by SteveG where he talked about a leak on the fresh water tank. I have I believe the same issue where water is dripping from corner of the steel plate. What I would like to know is if I take the bottom steel plate off to gain access to the tank - what exactly holds the water tank up? I don't want to make my problem even worse by having the water tank on the ground. I have an '08 Itasca Meridian.
John_58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

John_58, Yes if you take the steel plate off the tank will come down. Remove the inspection panel shown in the drawing below and check for leaks. On our 03 Journey there is a pipe union connecting the dump valve to the tank and it was loose causing a small leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 Med water tank.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	122344  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Grant. I have opened that hatch in the past to get the drain valve all the way closed. (It won't close all the way from the cable and leaks). I had another look today and hard to tell if that is where the leak is, but it does not appear to be at the 2 hose connections next to it. This one is tough to tell because the insulation is right up under the union. When I shine the flashlight in there it looks like water is coming from further down towards the hatch. I did grab hold of the drain valve and it rotates in the union connection so that might be loose. Any idea what in the world I can use to tighten that? I would need something like a "right angle" pair of large water pump pliers to get at that. Do they make pliers like that? I can't even get my meat hooks on that union in that tiny space. I wonder who puts these things together.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

John_58, been a long time since I looked in there. Can you get a small strap wrench in there or use a long screw driver and hammer and tap it tight. You could also remove some of the bottom bolts on that end to get a little more working room.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

john 58
get a ''basin wrench'' that you can attach as many 3/8 extensions as you need to reach the nut in question.
I got mine from home depot and have used it many times for plumbing connections.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_58 View Post
Thanks Grant. I have opened that hatch in the past to get the drain valve all the way closed. (It won't close all the way from the cable and leaks). I had another look today and hard to tell if that is where the leak is, but it does not appear to be at the 2 hose connections next to it. This one is tough to tell because the insulation is right up under the union. When I shine the flashlight in there it looks like water is coming from further down towards the hatch. I did grab hold of the drain valve and it rotates in the union connection so that might be loose. Any idea what in the world I can use to tighten that? I would need something like a "right angle" pair of large water pump pliers to get at that. Do they make pliers like that? I can't even get my meat hooks on that union in that tiny space. I wonder who puts these things together.
John 58
With your drain not closing: While you have access to the drain valve loosen the set screw that binds the wire at the drain valve, pull the drain valve handle out approximately 1/4", tighten the set screw at the valve. The valve now will completely close eliminating the leak at the valve. Good luck finding the leak if is someplace else.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Watch out also for the fresh water inlet hose and the water overflow. My leak drove me nuts until I found water pooling on the top of the tank from a loose overflow and then dripping down depending on coach attitude. And I agree - getting at these things is a head (and hand) banger ...
Old 03-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone. I had not thought about the basin wrench. I have one but it is not big enough to get on the union connection. I will see if I can get a larger head as I am sure this would work.
And while I am at it I will try the fix for the drain valve.

Appreciate the help guys. I will look for a basin wrench and let y'all know how it goes.

Tags
fresh water, leak, tank, water