Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
marudnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 71
Fresh water tank filling up!

I wonder if you can help me solve the case of the mysteriously filling fresh water tank.

We have a Sunstar 29VE. I know how to fill the fresh water tank, by turning the fresh water valve to Tank Fill. Itís now in the Normal position. However, Iíve noticed that at some campgrounds, my fresh water tank has filled part way. At this campground, it filled up completely! I do have a water regulator on the hose. Theoretically, that should keep the City water pressure at a reasonable level.

Any idea on what is causing the tank to fill? Should I be worried about this?

Thanks.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 29VE
2016 Ford Focus toad
marudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by marudnick View Post
I wonder if you can help me solve the case of the mysteriously filling fresh water tank.

We have a Sunstar 29VE. I know how to fill the fresh water tank, by turning the fresh water valve to Tank Fill. Itís now in the Normal position. However, Iíve noticed that at some campgrounds, my fresh water tank has filled part way. At this campground, it filled up completely! I do have a water regulator on the hose. Theoretically, that should keep the City water pressure at a reasonable level.

Any idea on what is causing the tank to fill? Should I be worried about this?

Thanks.
If you are heavy user of City Water and Pressure; yes should be worried because it will just eventually overflow and never stop as long as City water pressure is being supplied.

I would have the (Normal/Tank fill) valve replaced if it is concern. It is probably not sealing all the way.

In my case, and I have same coach as you; if I had the problem you have; I would never know. I only use City water under pressure to fill up. My problem is sometimes I forget change to Tank Fill After while I will figure it out.

Even when we are at RV Parks, I never connect to run off City Pressure. We always use our water tank. I actually try to avoid filling the filling fresh water tank with water from the RV Parks. We can go 5 or 6 days off 70 gallons so we are usually pretty good.

To me; the Valve at Normal just means, it is okay to turn on Water Pump.

Next time I am empty, I will go to a true City Fill (Normal) and leave it on all night to see what happens. But it takes us a long time to consume 70gallons and my tanks is always full, and Full with our home water; which I just love. But in RV we drink bottled water anyway
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #3
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 6,008
This is a very common issue that is easily dealt with. There is a check valve in your water pump that is meant to prevent the city water from back flowing into your fresh tank. However, some times tiny bits of debris get stuck in the valve and your fresh tank can fill or even overflow because of this.

The temporary solution is to turn off the city water connection and use only the fresh tank via the water pump until you use up the water in the fresh tank. Many times this will clear the debris and you’ll not have this issue again… at least for a while.

It’s also possible that the check valve has failed and this is happening all the time. At that point you can get a rebuild kit online and simply rebuild the check valve. It’s an easy DIY project. It’s also possible to replace just the failed valve with a new one.

There is no need to replace the water pump itself, the check valve is a simple device. Easy to clean, rebuild or replace. Look on line for info on this job. There are some YouTube videos that show the entire process.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
marudnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Even when we are at RV Parks, I never connect to run off City Pressure. We always use our water tank. I actually try to avoid filling the filling fresh water tank with water from the RV Parks. We can go 5 or 6 days off 70 gallons so we are usually pretty good.
We often go out for weeks at a time. Currently we are on the tail end of an 8 week trip. Therefore, we have to use the campground water. Also, Iím not crazy about the noise from the pump. Iím not sure if itís rattling against something or other but it is noisy. In the middle of the night it seems very loud when flushing the toilet.

Thanks for your suggestions!
__________________
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 29VE
2016 Ford Focus toad
marudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
marudnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
This is a very common issue that is easily dealt with. There is a check valve in your water pump that is meant to prevent the city water from back flowing into your fresh tank. However, some times tiny bits of debris get stuck in the valve and your fresh tank can fill or even overflow because of this.
That’s great. We are currently on tank water and will stay on it until we empty the tank. The I’ll check it again and see if the problem still occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It’s also possible that the check valve has failed and this is happening all the time. At that point you can get a rebuild kit online and simply rebuild the check valve. It’s an easy DIY project. It’s also possible to replace just the failed valve with a new one.

There is no need to replace the water pump itself, the check valve is a simple device. Easy to clean, rebuild or replace. Look on line for info on this job. There are some YouTube videos that show the entire process.
Any suggestions on search terms for rebuilding or cleaning? I only seem to find articles for replacing the top part of the pump or cleaning by just running the pump.

Thanks.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 29VE
2016 Ford Focus toad
marudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 6,008
Sure, just find the model number and brand of the water pump and search online for a check valve for that pump. Winnebago has been changing up parts lately so, I can’t guess what they’ve installed on your RV. For many years it was always a Shurflo 4048 pump. There should be a label on your water pump with that info.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 5,040
As an alternate that some find easier(less stress and thinking?) it can be fairly simple to just add a generic check valve to the line and leave the defective one in place.

Depends on attitude, supply situation and how the pump and lines are laid out but it can be simple and easier to get one in some places.
__________________
Richard
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #8
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
As an alternate that some find easier(less stress and thinking?) it can be fairly simple to just add a generic check valve to the line and leave the defective one in place.
Yes, this is an inexpensive and easy to add DIY mod that is sure to work if you install it correctly.

You can get a check valve for probably less than $20 and just install it on the 1/2" plumbing on the output side of the pump. It would take probably 20 mins tops to do.

With this in place water can flow from your water pump to your RV but water cannot flow from the RV back into the water pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-H2O-Aqua.../dp/B07C16XM4R
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fresh water, tank, water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City water is filling fresh water tank larrys Winnebago Travel Trailers 27 02-21-2021 03:19 PM
Soft water when filling fresh water tank RDP Winnebago Travel Trailers 6 06-07-2020 04:49 PM
Filling fresh water tank, 2008 View Newman Winnebago Class C Motorhomes 1 09-30-2018 10:18 PM
Need Help: Winterizing is filling my fresh water tank cyclonebax Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 8 11-04-2012 06:55 PM
Filling Fresh Water Tank Revelation AdrianLee Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 10 04-12-2006 05:25 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×