Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2022, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fresh water tank filling up!

I wonder if you can help me solve the case of the mysteriously filling fresh water tank.

We have a Sunstar 29VE. I know how to fill the fresh water tank, by turning the fresh water valve to Tank Fill. It’s now in the Normal position. However, I’ve noticed that at some campgrounds, my fresh water tank has filled part way. At this campground, it filled up completely! I do have a water regulator on the hose. Theoretically, that should keep the City water pressure at a reasonable level.

Any idea on what is causing the tank to fill? Should I be worried about this?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marudnick View Post
I wonder if you can help me solve the case of the mysteriously filling fresh water tank.

We have a Sunstar 29VE. I know how to fill the fresh water tank, by turning the fresh water valve to Tank Fill. It’s now in the Normal position. However, I’ve noticed that at some campgrounds, my fresh water tank has filled part way. At this campground, it filled up completely! I do have a water regulator on the hose. Theoretically, that should keep the City water pressure at a reasonable level.

Any idea on what is causing the tank to fill? Should I be worried about this?

Thanks.
If you are heavy user of City Water and Pressure; yes should be worried because it will just eventually overflow and never stop as long as City water pressure is being supplied.

I would have the (Normal/Tank fill) valve replaced if it is concern. It is probably not sealing all the way.

In my case, and I have same coach as you; if I had the problem you have; I would never know. I only use City water under pressure to fill up. My problem is sometimes I forget change to Tank Fill After while I will figure it out.

Even when we are at RV Parks, I never connect to run off City Pressure. We always use our water tank. I actually try to avoid filling the filling fresh water tank with water from the RV Parks. We can go 5 or 6 days off 70 gallons so we are usually pretty good.

To me; the Valve at Normal just means, it is okay to turn on Water Pump.

Next time I am empty, I will go to a true City Fill (Normal) and leave it on all night to see what happens. But it takes us a long time to consume 70gallons and my tanks is always full, and Full with our home water; which I just love. But in RV we drink bottled water anyway
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #3
Site Team

This is a very common issue that is easily dealt with. There is a check valve in your water pump that is meant to prevent the city water from back flowing into your fresh tank. However, some times tiny bits of debris get stuck in the valve and your fresh tank can fill or even overflow because of this.

The temporary solution is to turn off the city water connection and use only the fresh tank via the water pump until you use up the water in the fresh tank. Many times this will clear the debris and you’ll not have this issue again… at least for a while.

It’s also possible that the check valve has failed and this is happening all the time. At that point you can get a rebuild kit online and simply rebuild the check valve. It’s an easy DIY project. It’s also possible to replace just the failed valve with a new one.

There is no need to replace the water pump itself, the check valve is a simple device. Easy to clean, rebuild or replace. Look on line for info on this job. There are some YouTube videos that show the entire process.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Even when we are at RV Parks, I never connect to run off City Pressure. We always use our water tank. I actually try to avoid filling the filling fresh water tank with water from the RV Parks. We can go 5 or 6 days off 70 gallons so we are usually pretty good.
We often go out for weeks at a time. Currently we are on the tail end of an 8 week trip. Therefore, we have to use the campground water. Also, I’m not crazy about the noise from the pump. I’m not sure if it’s rattling against something or other but it is noisy. In the middle of the night it seems very loud when flushing the toilet.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 08-16-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
This is a very common issue that is easily dealt with. There is a check valve in your water pump that is meant to prevent the city water from back flowing into your fresh tank. However, some times tiny bits of debris get stuck in the valve and your fresh tank can fill or even overflow because of this.
That’s great. We are currently on tank water and will stay on it until we empty the tank. The I’ll check it again and see if the problem still occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It’s also possible that the check valve has failed and this is happening all the time. At that point you can get a rebuild kit online and simply rebuild the check valve. It’s an easy DIY project. It’s also possible to replace just the failed valve with a new one.

There is no need to replace the water pump itself, the check valve is a simple device. Easy to clean, rebuild or replace. Look on line for info on this job. There are some YouTube videos that show the entire process.
Any suggestions on search terms for rebuilding or cleaning? I only seem to find articles for replacing the top part of the pump or cleaning by just running the pump.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Sure, just find the model number and brand of the water pump and search online for a check valve for that pump. Winnebago has been changing up parts lately so, I can’t guess what they’ve installed on your RV. For many years it was always a Shurflo 4048 pump. There should be a label on your water pump with that info.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

As an alternate that some find easier(less stress and thinking?) it can be fairly simple to just add a generic check valve to the line and leave the defective one in place.

Depends on attitude, supply situation and how the pump and lines are laid out but it can be simple and easier to get one in some places.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
As an alternate that some find easier(less stress and thinking?) it can be fairly simple to just add a generic check valve to the line and leave the defective one in place.
Yes, this is an inexpensive and easy to add DIY mod that is sure to work if you install it correctly.

You can get a check valve for probably less than $20 and just install it on the 1/2" plumbing on the output side of the pump. It would take probably 20 mins tops to do.

With this in place water can flow from your water pump to your RV but water cannot flow from the RV back into the water pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-H2O-Aqua.../dp/B07C16XM4R

Tags
fresh water, tank, water