Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fresh water tank

Our 2015 Minnie Winnie 31K fresh water tank has started to slowly fill when connected to the CITY water connection. This has not previously occurred and all water fixtures in the RV continue to function properly.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks.
Jktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Team

I think it's fairly common. The fill/flow valve on the intake will likely need to be replaced.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are you using a pressure reducer?

My only other thought (guess actually) is there's probably a check valve near or as part of the water pump. Maybe it's gone bad???
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I ran the pump for 30 seconds; problem solved.
Jktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have had this happen also. I disconnect the hose and run the pump for a few seconds and it clears it up for some unknown reason.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jktb View Post
Our 2015 Minnie Winnie 31K fresh water tank has started to slowly fill when connected to the CITY water connection. This has not previously occurred and all water fixtures in the RV continue to function properly.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks.
The problem is caused by the water pump. There is basically a one way valve in the pump that is acting up. Running the pump will shake it up let it seal like it should. The problem is that the city water flows through it to the fresh water tank and if the tanks fills which it will the water will come out of the overflow next to the fresh water fill valve.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
2017 42QD Tour

I’ve had the same problem and had Winnebago replace Fresh Water Tank/City Water Valve. Don’t waste the time and trouble, it’s not the problem as I’ve met many with same issue and had valve replaced over 7 times on one coach I was told.

After exhaustive trials I found it to be the water pump check valve leaking and how to fix it. First, have your water pump on as you turn on the city water. Must be over 40 psi for best results to close check valve. Then turn off water pump.

Not sure why, but water pump being off for some reason when city water is turned on won’t close or seal check valve on my coach. Once you have done this in this order it seems to work until you use water pump again, then it requires the same approach of sealing the check valve.

I have a 2017 Winnebago Tour 42 QD.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

As suggested above, it can be the check valve in the water pump or the check valve in the city water valve. I have had the issue twice since I have owned my motorhome. Both times it was the city water valve. The hard water in some areas cause the check valve to no longer function properly.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

John Rossi, when you mentioned the city water valve, do you mean the connection for the city water hose or the city water/tank fill valve? I am having the same problem with the water tank filling up and overflowing when on city water. I will first try resetting the water pump check valve in the morning as we are currently camping in the RV with this issue. Thanks.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If I do need a new city water valve, can I purchase it online? Or from a RV supply store?
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:20 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The connection for the city water hose. If you look at the connection, you will most likely see a white piece of plastic. If you push on it, you should feel it is spring loaded. Over time, that piece will either wear out and/or get corroded by hard water.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hard water is a constant in the central US due to the limestone being so common and often near the surface, so learning a few tricks can help. Dealing with tropical fish, requires learning how to deal with the mineral deposits and they are often calcium and magnesium which are alkaline, so using a light acid like vinegar is common. Before changing out the valve, I suggest trying to clear any buildup of minerals. I used a short piece of hose, filled it and propped the end up so that it stayed in contact with the valve for several hours. A small bit of vinegar in the fresh water is not a problem and it did clear the valve. Maybe worth a try?
Also pumping some through the water pump may have some value to cut any buildup there but I've never had that problem.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water