Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fresh water holding tank filling?

I have a 2003 Itasca 34HD Horizon. I've been in a RV park now for two months, my problem is that while hooked up to the parks water supply it also fills the fresh water holding tank. What a pain, I watch the fresh water gauge/monitor and when it fills up I turn off the park's water supply and then switch over to drawing off of the holding tank . Of the RV's I've owned through the years, I've never had the city water inlet fill the fresh water holding tank? Seems as though this should not be happening? Is there a valve/diverter that I'm not aware of? Sure would appreciate your knowledge and wisdom on this issue.
Thanks,
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What else do we have to do but look at the RV and wish?/.
First i want to send congrats for you getting step one correct and giving all the info folks need to try to help! I'm much more likely to help if folks make it easy!
So, I did a look at the drawings here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...34hd_plumb.pdf
And running down to sheet three, I see looks like three valves at the control center/ hookup bay?
I don't see anything specific that tell what each valve does, so are they labeled? On Rv I've used I would expect one of those to be an option to use straight from the faucet or fill the tank. If you can locate that vale, it "should" change the flow. If it still fills the tank, either way, it is possible the valve is defective.
One thing that is common on this type ball valve is that they can become worn if not always used fully open or fully closed. Thinking of a plastic ball inside a valve and as water flows past a partly open, it can wear the edge of the ball and cause a slow leak, which gets larger over time.
Maybe give it a look and let us know what it looks like? Drawings are only as good as what we find when we actually get hands on!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There should be a valve in your water bay labeled "fill/normal". That is the valve Morich is referring to.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This valve partly opened might give city water while still letting enough pass through to fill the tank as well.
One problem with using ball valves as a valve to regulate flow is that they can become worn on the edge of the ball opening and letting water ooze through. I would be surprised to see it on an RV as we often don't run that much water through but weird does happen.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Most of the time this issue is caused by a faulty check valve at the water pump. It can be a constant issue or an intermittent one.

Some folks do the following fixes - any one of these should fix the issue. Obviously No. 1 is the most expensive:

1. Put in a new water pump
OR
2. Rebuild the check valve (rebuild kits available)
OR
3. Install an new in-line check valve on the inlet side of the water pump line

I've had the problem of and on. The first time I worried. The second time I did as Blkbart did and monitored the situation and used the water in the tank when it happened. The third time I rebuilt the check valve in the pump.

Rebuilding the check valve was super easy on my coach. The pump is super accessible and it took one screwdriver, a repair kit and 20 mins max. I don't know for sure if it fixed the issue or not because I did the work in early March in preparation for a trip later in March that got canceled.

I had a 2nd water pump issue that is also fixed with the rebuilt check valve - my pump would lose pressure when sitting idle and brrrruppp every once and a while. Sometimes it would do that for 15 mins after each usage. Other times it would do it for an hour.

Assuming you have a Shurflo 4008 Water Pomp:

Here's the part number on amazon for the rebuild kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG476D5

If you'd rather install an inline check valve on the (left) inlet side piping here's one. NOTE: make sure of your water line sizing. This check valve link may not be the correct size for your water line. This one is plastic, they make metal ones too if you'd rather.
https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-340-0.../dp/B000BGJWF2
Old 05-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
WinnieAdven38

No - the ball valve which directs input water flow to house plumbing or to fill the fresh water tank is not worn. They hardly ever get used - they never "wear out".

Instead you need to look at the water pump, as it is very possible that water is moving back through that into the tank. The outlet side of the water pump feeds directly into the house plumbing system. When hooked to an external water supply that system is pressurized, which means that the same pressure is going into the water pump.

All pumps have an internal built-in check valve to prevent water from flowing from the house plumbing system, back through the pump and into the fresh tank. But it is just a very simple rubber flapper which does that and they have been known to break, or get dirt in them so they no longer seal. Hence - you hook up an outside pressurized water supply and there you go.

Solutions -

1> new water pump
2> Add an in-line check valve on the input side of the water pump supply to help prevent this back flow.
3> Re-build the pump. Depending on the brand some offer new rubber seal kits
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My experience was the leak was at the water pump. Winnebago tech tried to tell me that it was almost impossible to leak back through the pump. He didn't know his a.. from a hole in the ground. I hate that. In my case, the pump started showing other issues so I replaced the pump. The problem went away. If the pump is working OK, then a rebuild of the check valve or an additional check valve as suggested seem like good options. Mine just started again on my last trip, but incoming line pressure was extremely high. I put my regulator in place and for the time seemed to resolve the issue, but something is trying to fail. The valve by the water inlet connection can give the same symptom, so it is a matter of eliminating one problem at a time. If that valve is leaking, however, you will probably get occasional cycling of the water pump.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Water valve

Mine does this also, mine is a 2018 which we bought new. I was told there might be some debre in the normal/fill valve and may go away eventually or it may have to have the valve replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkbart View Post
I have a 2003 Itasca 34HD Horizon. I've been in a RV park now for two months, my problem is that while hooked up to the parks water supply it also fills the fresh water holding tank. What a pain, I watch the fresh water gauge/monitor and when it fills up I turn off the park's water supply and then switch over to drawing off of the holding tank . Of the RV's I've owned through the years, I've never had the city water inlet fill the fresh water holding tank? Seems as though this should not be happening? Is there a valve/diverter that I'm not aware of? Sure would appreciate your knowledge and wisdom on this issue.
Thanks,
Bart
Jdhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 Chieftain had that same problem. I replaced the pump check valve.

No change.

I traced it to the City/Fill valve.

It is a simple valve diverting water either to the fresh tank, or the interior plumbing.

When I disassembled that valve, I found that the knob/handle has plastic fingers that engage the valve body. The fingers are weak and had bent in such a way that the valve never fully closed on the fill side when switched to city. Thus, some water bypassed the valve and filled the fresh tank.

I don't remember the replacement part number or where I got it, but I only used the knob part as the rest of the valve was ok, and the removal process demanded I totally dis-assemble the water bay just to access the hose connections.

Best of luck,
John L
jllarson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My 2013 Journey had the same issue. It was caused by the check valve in the pump. First thing I did was rebuild the check valve with a new kit. That worked for a few months until we were on the road & using the pump for water from our holding tank. When we hooked back up to city water it began to fill the tank again. I then removed the check valve in the pump, cleaned it & reinstalled it with vaseline on the seals. I did this procedure several times over the next year or so. I then added a steel check valve with a 1psi spring loaded brass ball on the outlet side of the pump. I know everyone on here is saying to install it on the inlet side. My wisdom & reasoning is that the water has no issue coming from the storage tank but is back filling from the house side. Therefore I want the water to stop prior to the pump. This is turn keeps pressure away from the pump & check valve , which is the purpose of the pumps check valve.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
My 2013 Journey had the same issue. It was caused by the check valve in the pump. First thing I did was rebuild the check valve with a new kit. That worked for a few months until we were on the road & using the pump for water from our holding tank. When we hooked back up to city water it began to fill the tank again. I then removed the check valve in the pump, cleaned it & reinstalled it with vaseline on the seals. I did this procedure several times over the next year or so. I then added a steel check valve with a 1psi spring loaded brass ball on the outlet side of the pump. I know everyone on here is saying to install it on the inlet side. My wisdom & reasoning is that the water has no issue coming from the storage tank but is back filling from the house side. Therefore I want the water to stop prior to the pump. This is turn keeps pressure away from the pump & check valve , which is the purpose of the pumps check valve.
An excellent alternative to Vaseline (i.e. petroleum jelly) is "plumbers silicone" available in most any hardware store.
Petroleum jelly can cause some rubber fittings to deteriorate, silicone doesn't deteriorate anything that I know of. It also doesn't dry up as petroleum products can.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
An excellent alternative to Vaseline (i.e. petroleum jelly) is "plumbers silicone" available in most any hardware store.
Petroleum jelly can cause some rubber fittings to deteriorate, silicone doesn't deteriorate anything that I know of. It also doesn't dry up as petroleum products can.
I have to disagree with you on the petroleum theory. Plumbers silicone is petroleum based. I/we have been using vaseline & other petroleum products on seals for my entire career as an aircraft mechanic, (40+years) and it is recommended by the manufacturers is some instances.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I have to disagree with you on the petroleum theory. Plumbers silicone is petroleum based. I/we have been using vaseline & other petroleum products on seals for my entire career as an aircraft mechanic, (40+years) and it is recommended by the manufacturers is some instances.
According to Wikipedia and other sources found with an internet search, "Plumbers Silicone Grease" is not petroleum based.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease

In the same Wikipedia reference there is mention of petroleum jelly causing deterioration of some rubber gaskets and washers.

In all fairness I do want to mention that petroleum jelly deteriorates natural rubber. However the vast majority of what we would call rubber products are now made of man made chemicals that do not deteriorate with the use of petroleum products.

So using Vaseline may not cause a problem as a lubricant.

However I will continue to use plumbers silicone grease. I know it doesn't deteriorate natural rubber if it happens to be in what I am lubricating.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

al1florida, I will concede in this debate. After more research not all silicone lubricant or plumbers puddy is food grade. Be careful what you use. After more research I read that the plumbers puddy may or may not be petroleum based. This is based on each manufacturers formula. Although I see more good info regarding the use of the plumbers puddy. Thanks for the info, & I will rethink my applications in the future.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water