Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fresh water debris filter

Fresh water debris filter

Can anyone recommend a fresh water filter for debris removal only?
We don’t drink the water from campground hook ups or from the onboard tank. just some thing to keep sand and other small stuff out of the lines. I’m thinking of something to put on the bib before the hose.

Thanks, Greg
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We use a GE SmartFilter whole house filter. They cost about $25 at Lowes or Home Depot. The filter cartridges are replaceable and cost about $8 to $14 for a package of 2 depending on the type you buy. I use 5 micron charcoal filters and we do drink the water everywhere we go.

We are full timers and the 5 micron cartridges I use last about 3 to 4 months.
I put mine in the service bay to keep it out of the sun.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

How about 2 cheap plastic wyes and two washing machine fill hoses with screens. You could have both in service for full flow and have the ability to service each screen individually without a full shutdown. Good luck!!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Most water systems have a screen just before the pump. The question is: what do you mean by debris? That could be any size and the answer will fall somewhere between the two suggestions you have received.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Any filter that attaches to a hose bib works just fine and would enable you to drink the water and fill your fresh water tank with potable water. If you are getting sand and "debris" into your system, your problems are just begining. Your pump,valves,water heater will soon be garbage.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I guess I should have been clearer. We have been on the road for 6-7 months each year for the past 3 years and plan to keep it up for as long as we can. From time to time at some campgrounds that are on well water, I have seen sediment, rust-colored water, and even sand or dirt coming out of the hose when I flush out the hose before hooking up to the motor home. It’s not a whole lot, but still don’t want to get it in the water system of the motor home.
Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I’ll go with the whole-house type.

Greg
Old 01-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

BIG differance Greg, Whew ! Didn't want to say so but it sounded like you were pumping the water out of a swamp.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We are fulltimers. We use the water in our MH just like we have in most stick houses ... for drinking or whatever other normal use. All fresh water hoses/pressure regulator/filter connecitons have a screen in them. We use a sediment filter between the shore water & the motorhome (started using the sediment filter after noticing fine sand in the shower). I normally replace it at 3 mo. intervals. Most of the time it is just rust colored, but sometimes it is muddy and slimey. We do not want a charcoal filter outside as we want chlorinated water in the fresh water tank. I have seen too many people get stuff growing in their fresh water tank w/o chlorine in the water. We do have a charcoal filter under the galley sink which filters drinking water and the supply line to the ice maker.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #9

We use a permanent sediment filter (no filters to change) in addition to our main "filters out most everything" filter. I saw this today at Lowes in the section with all the water filters
Shop Whirlpool Automatic Sediment Filter at Lowes.com
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

IF all you want is debris filter you will need.....

A length of pipe. I suggest 1 1/2 or 2" PVC

Matching threaded end adapters (one should be the same size, the other can be a reducer taking it down to 3/4")

A male and female hose adapter (Fits in that 3/4 inch end)

you will need a screw on reducer (to fit the threaded end of the pipe) to 3/4 inch too, this gets the MALE hose adapter, the female goes in the fixed end of the pipe.

Now.. Fill the pipe losely with Filter Floss (Fish tank filter floss)

Put the stainless drain cover over the end of the floss so it does not go up into the outlet (NOTE: the cover should have fairly small holes. or you may need to cover it with some form of screen) and screw on the final reducer adapter.

That will filter only debris, nothing else

If you want you could add filter sand (Finer filtering) before the floss. If you do that you will need a second drain cover and screen at the inlet end. Adding charcoal will filter out other contaminates.. This is a very flexible filter design.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well I went out to Homedepot today and picked up A GE GXWH04F filter housing ($18.00), a two pack of # FXWTC sediment filters ($12.00) and two brass fittings ($6.75) The install took about two hours and no leaks.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6142 (Medium).JPG
Views:	244
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2462