Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Fresh water

How many of you keep your fresh water tank full at all times(when in storage)
orth212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Nope... I drain the tank if I'm not going to use the mh for a (short) while. Does not take long to add water before taking off again. We rarely use onboard water except while in transit as we mostly (always ?) hook up to park water.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:I drain my fresh tank when not in use, fill with a bleach solution, 1 pint to a tank full, then flush twice before travel.
But then I'm lucky; it's in my yard and no water meters.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We boondock all summer, almost every weekend, usually 3 or 4 days. We keep ours full and ready to go, but as the tank name implies, it's always fresh. If I wasn't using it, I would drain it.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I keep mine as full as possible. The less air, the less chance of bacteria forming. Been doing it for over 35 years and haven't gotten ill. Same with my gas tanks, except I put some Sta-bil in them and always have fresh gas.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Our motorhome is basically stored ready to go, including full water, non perishable food, clothes, etc. When we leave we load a few unique DW work clothes and jewelry, computers, perishable food, and the dog.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We keep about 1/3 of a tank all the time for use while traveling. Usually, we're hooked up to fresh water connections when parked. Occasionally, we will put a little bleach in it to keep bacteria from forming.

We always use gallon jugs of water for coffee and cooking. Sounds expensive, but we just don't trust the water source everywhere we go.

Dave
Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I drain everything when storing for the winter as I live in Iowa. I carry about a third of a tank of fresh water at all times when using the mh and fill it full when traveling, staying at Walmarts, etc. We never drink water from the storage tank although use it for teeth brushing and the like. Never have had any problems. Have used bleach at times but not usually.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I'm usually getting out of town late, when I do my weekend get aways. So I like to keep it all full, fuel water and dry and canned foods. When I load, I just toss in the cooler with all fresh stuff turn on the fridge, drop a large bucket of ice in the freezer to give it a kick start, and then use later for cocktails. When I return on Sunday after noon, I fill up the fuel, then take out the fresh food leftover, fill up the water, clean the bathroom, and take it to storage. I installed a shut off valve on the water tank vent line, so I fill till it runs out and then close the valve to keep out air a bugs and stuff. I usually make coffee with the tank water, and sometimes drink it too. Never had a problem with "bad" water, so I will keep doing as I do. When I'm trying to make a three hour trip, and arrive before dark, it helps to have it all done ahead of time, since I still have that thing known as a Job.
K.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
We keep about 1/3 of a tank all the time for use while traveling. Usually, we're hooked up to fresh water connections when parked. Occasionally, we will put a little bleach in it to keep bacteria from forming.

We always use gallon jugs of water for coffee and cooking. Sounds expensive, but we just don't trust the water source everywhere we go.

Dave
We use campground water. We have never had a problem in 9 years, except at my Sister's well. The well is mostly rust. It tested over 200 gr. hardness. She lives about 1 mile from the Missouri river, down stream from Yankton, SD.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water