Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Foamy Water in Bathroom Sink

We're currently in Tombstone, AZ enjoying some much needed time off! We stayed at Kartchner Caverns State Park last night and took the Rotunda tour this morning. Just enjoying the time immensely before heading back up to northern AZ on Thursday.

So here's something I haven't seen on our 2017 Aspect 30J before. Last night when we arrived at the state park we hooked up and everything worked just fine, well, almost everything. I had to winterize the rig this past week because we hit 21 degrees in Flagstaff overnight. So when we got to the state park and hooked up the water and electricity, we purged the system. One peculiar thing is going on. In our bathroom sink, it is putting out foamy water (air mixed within) and only on hot water. Cold water is a solid stream with no air. Toilet, shower and kitchen sink all solid streams on both cold and hot. Outside shower is a solid stream on both cold and hot.

So, I went through the system and tried venting it. Opened up all valves and let in run a few minutes. I even cycled the drain valves under the bed and under the kitchen sink. I vented the hot water heater via the overpressure valve. Still seeing the same thing.

I removed the aerator on the bathroom sink and turned on the hot water...no air. Cold water the same. The aerator does have some small black particles trapped between the screen and flow reducer which I cannot clean out because the assembly does not come apart. But if it were the problem, why isn't it also a problem with the cold water? Maybe the hot water has a lower pressure due to more headloss due to a longer run of pex? We had about 28# of pressure in the state park and now are running about 42# in Tombstone (by my regulator gauge).

It's not a big thing as it doesn't limit anything. But I've never seen this before. Anybody else have some ideas?

Thanks!

Al
Old 10-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It is not unusual to get some foaming especially on the hot side after a unit has been winterized. I've had it happen numerous times. Just open the grey line turn off the heater and let the water run for a while. If you opened the bypass valve before completely flushing the system of antifreeze you got some antifreeze in the heater which really makes it foam. Been there done that.

The black particles may be from not using a filter. Also, if you ever freeze a carbon filter. It will rupture and you have lots of black particles. Been there done that.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you, BVThunder! I flushed the hot water via the bathroom sink and it seems to have worked after about 20 minutes. I really appreciate the response!

I have always used a filter and change it every 6 months of use. However, we did purchase the rig used so the black particles could be from the original owner. Now, I'm intrigued and will have to check out the kitchen sink aerator/flow reducer!

Again, I very much appreciate the suggestions!

Al
Old 10-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had the same issue with my 2011 Win Journey 40U, and a hot water tank flush (empty, fill and empty again!) and flush of the fresh water storage and purging the lines are needed. I vowed never again to use RV antifreeze to winterize. I now only use an air compressor to flush the lines, and have had no issues, and no foamy water (often with a foul smell)
Kevinbrown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinbrown01 View Post
I had the same issue with my 2011 Win Journey 40U, and a hot water tank flush (empty, fill and empty again!) and flush of the fresh water storage and purging the lines are needed. I vowed never again to use RV antifreeze to winterize. I now only use an air compressor to flush the lines, and have had no issues, and no foamy water (often with a foul smell)
Kevin,

I have done the same in the past, however, I live in snow country in Northern AZ. We often travel during the winter months getting out and then getting in between snow storms. It can get hairy coming up the mountain here and you never know when they are going to close the interstate with no way to get home. Windshield ice will form and build up even with the defroster on high. So, we have found that we have to winterize the rig during such trips before heading home.

I do have the ability to blow out the lines once I'm home and have our air compressor available. But, I screwed up once and didn't get it all blown out entirely (even though only air was coming out the shower head) and I ended up with a small amount in the shower valve which cracked and needed to be replaced. Of course we found out on a Sunday when we took out and stopped in Needles, CA and no place was open until the next day to get a replacement!

Live and learn! Thank goodness it was only a $20 error (plus about 2 hours to troubleshoot/repair)...one of my cheaper screw ups!

Al
Old 10-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post
Kevin,

I have done the same in the past, however, I live in snow country in Northern AZ. We often travel during the winter months getting out and then getting in between snow storms. It can get hairy coming up the mountain here and you never know when they are going to close the interstate with no way to get home. Windshield ice will form and build up even with the defroster on high. So, we have found that we have to winterize the rig during such trips before heading home.

I do have the ability to blow out the lines once I'm home and have our air compressor available. But, I screwed up once and didn't get it all blown out entirely (even though only air was coming out the shower head) and I ended up with a small amount in the shower valve which cracked and needed to be replaced. Of course we found out on a Sunday when we took out and stopped in Needles, CA and no place was open until the next day to get a replacement!

Live and learn! Thank goodness it was only a $20 error (plus about 2 hours to troubleshoot/repair)...one of my cheaper screw ups!

Al

If you had a hand-held shower head and didn't take it out of its holder and lay it in the shower pan before blowing the system out with air, the air may not have had enough pressure to push all the water out of the shower hose and it could have back flowed into the valve and froze, thus breaking the valve.

I know this horse is already out of the barn for you, but I add this for the benefit of others who choose to blow the water out of their RV systems.

Tags
water