Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
Mal
Winnebago Watcher

Flying Blind!

I'm a former commercial pilot, but I'm flying blind when it comes to RV plumbing!

My wife has wanted to RV around America for years. We both recently retired. One day last summer she came home telling me there was a "nice little RV" (2006 View) for sale nearby & she wanted me to check it out with her, which we did & met the man selling it--a local guy with a good rep as an antiques dealer.

Long story short, we bought it. I musta been drunk--I didn't know the first thing about RVs, but the guy assured us it had been well-cared-for (133,000 miles, he was the 3rd owner).

Anyway, it runs well for its age. We replaced the cabin batteries, the back-up display cam, & fixed a balky auto-step. But we have yet to do anything with the water & black tank systems. The previous owner implied it had been winterized.

I've located the relevant access points but beyond watching some YouTubes on the subject, I want to put this on the road this spring but I'm unclear where to start. Any advice would be appreciated.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Congratulations on your purchase.

The foremost question seems to be how go de-winterize your unit?

I’d start by downloading the manual specific to your unit, and following their instructions.

I’ve never had to do that, (we live in CA), but I’d I had to, that’s what I’d do.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The key is to have fun, the learning curve is really not as bad as you may think.
Here are some Winnebago links that will get you started in the right direction.

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools/service
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...erator-manuals

To be really general on the de winterizing. You will open the low point drains, that will allow the RV antifreeze to drain out. Near the water pump you should find some sort of long tube with a cap on the end attached to a valve. That tube is used for putting anti freeze into the systems along with a sanitizing solution.
Hook your coach up to a fresh water source and open all of the faucets to allow the anti freeze to clear the lines.

With that said folks have a hard time with the water heater. Some where you will have bypass valves. You may have one, two or possibly three that will be somewhere near the heater. They are there to divert the water from entering the water heater during the winterizing process. You will need to turn the valves the other way to allow water into the water heater.

This may be a good time to clean out the inside of the water heater. You can pick up a water heater clean out water hose attachment at most anyplace that has RV stuff. Get one and clean out the inside of the heater.

Your water heater may have either a plastic plug to keep water in or an anode rod if this now might be a good time to replace with new.

Good luck and ask questions.
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I used to fly around the country a lot as part of my work, but now I rather enjoy visiting all those places at a more leisurely pace.

First rule, you're retired now,. and not in a hurry. Relax and enjoy.

Second rule, KISS. Keep it simple ........ Don't overcomplicate things.
I de-winterize by filling the fresh water tank and start using the system.
If they filled the fresh water pipes with anti freeze run the water for a while
to flush it out. Tastes awful.

Third rule, take a short shake down trip. Maybe in your drive way. Use all the
systems and find out what works.

Fourth rule, Relax. Have fun. Enjoy. You're bound to have some problems, but just take your time and solve them. It's a brand new adventure.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Fifth rule, perhaps?
Ask a lot of questions as a good way to avoid those painful mistakes like forgetting to check the flaps!
There are lots of small things learn as a way to avoid having to do repairs needlessly.
A good way to start those questions is to add the exact year, make and model of RV to your signature as it is then there for all to see on each post you make and cuts much more directly to the right answers!
Go to "user CP" then "edit signature" to add the info? Saves time!

Meanwhile, there are lots of info references to mention:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams

The plumbing diagrams might be what you need right now?

On those batteries? Be aware that RV have " parasitic drains" like the radio presets on the start battery and things like propane and CO detectors on the coach batteries which will totally drain and potentially kill the batteries if we don't take action to avoid it while storing the RV.
A whole different subject to be aware of so not to ruin those new batteries!

Forums require new users to stay awake so ask away and welcome to the group?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Fifth rule, perhaps?
Ask a lot of questions as a good way to avoid those painful mistakes like forgetting to check the flaps!
There are lots of small things learn as a way to avoid having to do repairs needlessly.
A good way to start those questions is to add the exact year, make and model of RV to your signature as it is then there for all to see on each post you make and cuts much more directly to the right answers!
Go to "user CP" then "edit signature" to add the info? Saves time!

Meanwhile, there are lots of info references to mention:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams

The plumbing diagrams might be what you need right now?

On those batteries? Be aware that RV have " parasitic drains" like the radio presets on the start battery and things like propane and CO detectors on the coach batteries which will totally drain and potentially kill the batteries if we don't take action to avoid it while storing the RV.
A whole different subject to be aware of so not to ruin those new batteries!

Forums require new users to stay awake so ask away and welcome to the group?
I would only add... if previous owner used antifreeze and more than a little made it to the hit water heater... open the drain plug first and drain any antifreeze out/ put plug back in. Otherwise takes a lot more water to flush that antifreeze totally out of the hot water system. But since you don’t drink from the hot water side... not really a big deal if you forget. You’ll smell it a bit after washing your hair but otherwise not a problem. As also a boater many use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide and or bleach (Google sterilizing boat fresh water tank for details. Marine stores have small 8 oz bottles with oz markings/ instructions.
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote