Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Filling the fresh water tank was a real hassle because it took so long to get a "full tank". It seemed like the last 15 to 20 gallons would take forever. There is a vent on the tank so I did not think pressure back up was a problem. One day I even opened a faucet to see if that would help. No joy.

BTW - I use the direct fill connection rather than the gravity fill up high.

One day recently I read something here about opening the gravity fill door to act as a vent. WOW - what a difference. I had water coming out of the over flow vent before I knew what was happening.

Thanks to who ever posted about openingthe gravity fill door.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Filling the fresh water tank was a real hassle because it took so long to get a "full tank". It seemed like the last 15 to 20 gallons would take forever. There is a vent on the tank so I did not think pressure back up was a problem. One day I even opened a faucet to see if that would help. No joy.

BTW - I use the direct fill connection rather than the gravity fill up high.

One day recently I read something here about opening the gravity fill door to act as a vent. WOW - what a difference. I had water coming out of the over flow vent before I knew what was happening.

Thanks to who ever posted about openingthe gravity fill door.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Good tip! I also found that if I left the water pump on while I tried to fill, it ran constantly and did strange things. Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When you turn the tank to fill in the rear compartment you must shut the pump off. It creates a loop and runs all the time. If for whatever reason you ever need to prime the pump(run outta water) turn the selector to tank fill. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm an early riser and a newbee to this rving thing. Actually, we're on our first trip. Yesterday early morning while enjoying my coffee I watched a couple of neighboring campers pick up and get ready to depart. One in particular, after dumping tanks, proceeded to take the sewer hose to the next door empty site and flush it out using the fresh water faucet. I now have a bottle of clorox and clean the campground faucet before connecting my freshwater.

06 Horizon KD
Blue Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Seen the same many times. I've seen campers wash out their sewer hose with their drinking water hose actually contacting the interior of the sewer hose with the drinking water hose.

Close quarters in campground can make for unstanitary conditions.

It can takes a couple hours for chlorine to kill some of the more harmful organisms.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

In filling the fresh water tank I found the following. I open the gravity fill door for a vent. Fill the tank from the city water connection until water starts running out under the coach. If I do nothing else much of the water will siphon out onto the ground. If I close off the gravity fill hole with the heel of my hand for a few seconds the siphoning action will stop.

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I open the gravity fill door, set the inlet valve to fill, disconnect the water hose, remove the pressure reducer, reconnect the water hose and then turn on the city water until the tank vent overflows. Leaving the pressure reducer in place just about quadruples the fill time, just remember to put it back in place before switching the inlet valve back from the fill position.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I don't have the infamous black bag handy, but I'm sure the owner's manual says to be sure to open the gravity fill door. You risk rupturing the tank due to excess pressure buildup if you don't.

I've forgotten to open it several times myself. Winnie might think of installing a pressure relief valve on the side near the service bay so it can be opened while filling.

The gravity fill being on the curb side is outta sight and out of mind.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

First time I filled the water tank I forgot to open that gravity feed vent door, once the water tank got full the water started gushing out that vent and since the door was closed over it the water was forced down into the storage compartment directly below the vent! What a mess, everything in that compartment got a bath and I had water coming out everywhere! I had to empty the compartment and put a small fan in it to dry it out. Now I always remember to open that vent door before turning the water on!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Winnebago does in fact list "opening the gravity door" in the book as part of filling the tank.

Been there and done that recently...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote