Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
Well, i must admit that i am traveling with a serious back injury, wherein any kind of BENDING OVER is super painful. I realize that my annoyance about filling from the curbside is all about dragging the heavy hose around and stooping. Normally, all that stuff is just part of the routine, but now it's all painful. Only the driving is comfortable, and the sleeping.

The wife, bless her heart, insists on having a full fresh water tank before going out for the day. It's certainly a prudent thing to do in hot desert climates like we're in now in Utah and Arizona. So my older Winnie doesn't have a diverter valve....... it's t the end of the world!
Clear and context is duly noted. Hard to imagine that even for your coach 2004 that is not plumbed in a manner that allow you to fill tank from city water input If not; it may an easy investment / mod to add one of those Sharkbyte 1/4 Turn valves (or similar)

But don't give up that it is not already there. When I bought my 2019 and got home, 1500 miles from dealer, I could NOT figure out how to drain the fresh water tank. I tried everything, read manual googles because I was to embarrassed to ask; Dealer kept telling me to turn a valve that I did not see They eventually pissed me off when they said it was there, but I just couldn't see it

So I call Winnebago and they say the same thing, I insist I did not see, so they research and tell me on my version of the 2019 they changed designs and the manual I had from the Dealer was wrong. I actually have 2 sets hot & cold low water drains, but to drain I MUST turn on the water pump. Works really well and very fast. Winnebago sent me a brand new manual with my correct serial number and version Have I ever said how much I love Winnebago.

I agree with your DW, you can't have too much known clean water in the Desert. Time is now to resolve this annoyance for you, stay on it and good luck!!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Yep,
If you have a Winnebago trailer, you most likely do NOT have that City/Fill valve on yours. My own 2108DS did not have that either.. I guess it was just too much effort to add a $10 valve on the driver side.

One of many reasons we sold our 6 month old 2108DS and bought a new Grand Design Imagine 17 MKE. It is almost the same length, but oh so much more well equipped in our opinion, including the selection valve under discussion
Pauldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:51 PM   #23
2004 Minnie 29B

OK he has a 2004 29K Minnie, should have a single slide where the couch is (driver side). Actual length is about 30 foot. He will have a gravity feed water fill port just in front of door on passenger side. There is no diverter valve (unless it was modified). I have a 2004 29B Minnie. Only difference is that I have two slides everything else is the same. As far as water fill port location, It makes sense from a design view in that you have two water tanks joined together. One is under seat to right of table. The other is beneath first water tank in basement. The easiest connection for the fill port to tank is where it is located. I just carry a water hose that is 30 feet long and then is no problem to fill up via the gravity water fill port. The 30 foot water hose is usually just the right length to go from the hose bib on drivers side to the fill port. A 25 foot hose is rarely long enough. The nice thing about having a gravity fill is that if you are in a campground where you cannot connect a hose up to water, you can still fill the water tank using a bucket and funnel. Done it many times over last 28 years. The 30ft hose is light (<5 lbs) and you don't have to bend over to fill the tank. Have fun with your MH its a good one.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Fresh water fill

Quote:
'04 30' Minnie

Apparently, one can't fill their clean water tank using the City Water inlet? Or can you? I don't see any way, and I'm wondering why this is so? Alternatively, why is city Water street side and potable water curbside?

An i missing something here?
My Minnie filled the fresh tank when hooked to city water. I had to install a shutoff valve in the supply line to stop it. My Itaska sunstar was the same way
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:39 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

He's referring to a 2004 Winnebago Minnie, which is not a Minnie Winnie and does not have a panel. I know because I have a 2005 Winnebago Minnie.
rcorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Our 2005 Adventurer has gravity fill on the passenger side along with city water hookup and tank fill in the water bay on the driver side. One advantage of gravity fill is the ability to add fresh water to the tank when water from a faucet is not available.

Also, if the RV has been hooked up to city water and there is the need to fill the fresh water tank from the faucet, be sure to turn off the water at the faucet, relieve the pressure in the line by turning on and then off a faucet in the RV, or the outdoor shower, if available. Then turn the diverter valve from city fill to tank fill and turn the water back on at the faucet.

We did not do this for the first several years and eventually destroyed the guts in the diverter valve by turning the valve handle under city water pressure (always using a pressure regulator) to put water in the tank before moving on. The guts in the diverter valve in our RV is actually made of a cylinder of soft foam-like material along with four very thin plastic legs, and one of the plastic legs was broken. On the prior tank fill unknowingly the guts broke in the tank fill position and the diverter handle had been turned back to the city fill position, the normal position. The result was that at the next city water hookup the fresh water tank filled to overflowing which was discovered the next morning when the grass was sopping wet.

Rather than replacing the entire valve, just the guts from a new valve was used for replacement.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004

And on the right side of the fill port there is a valve, one way to fill one to use city water. IT IS A BIT HIDDEN!
Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

OLYLEN,
Do you have a 2004 Minnie, or a 2004 Minnie Winnie, because they are two different coaches? If you do in fact have a 2004 Minnie, could you please post an image of the valve you are speaking of that is on the right side of the fill port. On my 2005 Minnie, neither my gravity fill port or city fill port have the valve you are referring to.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:16 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

I have used the gravity fill on my fresh water tank to add a dilute bleach solution to disinfect the tank after it had been sitting 1/3 full for a long time and had a musty smell. Used a half gallon pitcher and a long tapered funnel. New owner, used 2016 vista LX 27 N.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:02 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
...I just think it is a PITA to have to pull out of an rv spot, then go in the other way so that the park's water bib is on my curb side...
We are always filling the fresh water, and having on curbside is awkward.
I'd recommend getting a longer water hose. You should never have to actually move the RV to use the curb side fill connection. If the longer hose is a no-go, I'd look at installing a manual bypass around the water pump. That would be trivial in my trailer, but every RV is different.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have the 30' MH. Ford chassis.

Right. I know how to gravity fill the fresh water. I just think it is a PITA to have to pull out of an rv spot, then go in the other way so that the park's water bib is on my curb side. I was wondering rhetorically why anyone would think that its clever to have water on both sides of the rv.

We are always filling the fresh water, and having on curbside is awkward. I thought maybe there was a crossover valve i didn't know about.
I guess my thought is why don't you just always pull into a spot with the spigot on the curbside (which is what we always do) so you don't have to leave your spot and turn your RV around to get to it?

Tags
tank, water