Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
2016 Suncruiser 37F

Extend A Stay Tank hook-up

We have an "LP accessory Connection" to hook up a BBQ grill, etc. Can I hook up an extend a stay tank to that connection to have a portable LP tank for heat? This would enable me to take the smaller tank to get refilled, as opposed to moving the motorhome to the fill station.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The accessory connector is on the low pressure side of the doubler regulator, about 0.35 PSI. Propane right out of a tank is 20 - 200 PSI depending on the temperature of the propane. You MUST put a double regulator on an external propane tank to feed propane into the accessory connector "in reverse". THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED, FOR SAFETEY REASONS, AND IT COSTS ALMOST AS MUCH AS DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY, by the time you purchase the high flow double regulator, hoses, and fittings.

The "right" way to connect an portable external propane tank is to insert a propane tee fitting between the onboard propane bottle and the onboard two stage high flow regulator, and a propane supply hose that connects between the propane tee fitting and the external propane tank.

You can google search Extend-A-Stay and get many hits for various options for buying all the pieces you need, with many choices for buying all the parts and hoses in a kit. You can also find multiple youtube videos on how to install and use the Extend-A-Stay.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
2016 Suncruiser 37F

Thanks for the reply. That is kind of what I thought, just confirming.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a high pressure Tee on both RVs. Also have a low pressure Tee for accessories. Both Tees also have a gas cutoff valve before the quick disconnect fitting for extra precaution.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
2016 View 24J Profile

Just thought I would mention that the propane shutoff valve that is fitted to all propane tanks has a constant draw while that valve is in the “on” position. I installed a current reduction device which cuts down the draw from 20 amp/hours per day to 3 amp/hours per day which will extend the usable house battery time.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
Just thought I would mention that the propane shutoff valve that is fitted to all propane tanks has a constant draw while that valve is in the “on” position. I installed a current reduction device which cuts down the draw from 20 amp/hours per day to 3 amp/hours per day which will extend the usable house battery time.
Can you provide a link to the reduction device? Please....
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
2016 View 24J Profile

I made it after I discovered the problem with battery drain.
I am very pleased with the resulting power savings
This would be particularly good for boon-docking where power conservation is very important
Old 12-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Here is a link to a dual detector that draws approx 2.5 ah a day. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dual-...-p/03-2176.htm

Sam
uthurricaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
2016 View 24J Profile

uthurricaner the link is for a detector for CO and propane which your vehicle should already have.
The devise I made is simply to reduce the amount of amp/hrs that the battery needs to supply to keep the propane valve open. I have started making them for other RV owners.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Note that the electric propane shutoff valve driven by an ouput on the inside RV propane detector safety feature is not required (at least in the United States RVIA certification standards). So, most of us don't have this this safety feature and it's corresponding power drain when boondocking issue.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
2016 View 24J Profile

powercat I agree that it is not the same as the detectors we have installed but the power reduction can still be accomplished regardless of what is used to shut off the valve
The European sensors just take the safety to the next level
Old 12-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
powercat I agree that it is not the same as the detectors we have installed but the power reduction can still be accomplished regardless of what is used to shut off the valve
The European sensors just take the safety to the next level
Understood. But most Winnebagos, including all Vistas like mine. don't have any electric valve in their propane systems at all, only the manual shutoff valve mounted right on the propane tank vapor outlet port. Just did not want those of us without any valve at all to get confused from this thread.

Of course all Views and other RVs built on the Sprinter chassis have them since the propane tank is not accessible without crawling under the coach.

The original post on this thread was about an RV that I believe just has the manual shutoff valve.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

LP electric cut off valve

Quote:
uthurricaner the link is for a detector for CO and propane which your vehicle should already have.
The devise I made is simply to reduce the amount of amp/hrs that the battery needs to supply to keep the propane valve open. I have started making them for other RV owners.
Alan, I’m coming in late to this thread, but understand my 2018 Navion 24D DOES have an electric LP shutoff valve that uses “20 Amp hours” per day. I didn’t see where one gets the replacement valve that uses ~2 amp- hours per day. You indicated you make one? Details please.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #14
2016 View 24J Profile

Re: propane valve

The propane valve doesn’t need to be replaced. It simply needs a modification to the power circuit that opens and holds open the valve. I made a small device that gets added behind the switch in the control panel
It’s a simple job to do that takes about 15 minutes and a phillips screwdriver.
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Alan: details please�� (e.g., how do I get one/cost/are there directions?)
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank