Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question extend-a-stay in 2016 Winnebago View

Hello, i'm trying to figure out if it is feasible to install/use an extend-a-stay in my 2016 View. The propane compartment is tight and set up differently from ones i've seen in various installation videos. I have spoken to RV techs who said it can be done, though it would be tight and would require going in from the compartment next to where the propane fill/regulator is. One thought i needed special attachments. And the dealer advised against it (on general concerns over after-market propane system modifications). Thing is, i'm very respectful of propane (for obvious reasons) and so don't want to do anything that compromises the system/safety - but this 13 gal onboard tank goes quickly so i'd love to supplement it. Any thoughts/advise/experience would be most appreciated.
Theresa A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Extendastay

If you really want to carry a 5 gal tank with you all the time not a bad idea. Sounds like you are doing considerable boondocking or staying in one place. If you are staying with electricity just consider using electric heat to cut down on your propane usage. You will still have to fill the small tank. Keep in mind Tractor supplies and Uhaul businesses. With a rig your size easy to get in to fill your tank. Just a consideration. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you have an external grill propane connection, you can shut off your main propane tank and hook up an external 5 gallon tank with a two stage regulator to plug into the external connection and supply propane for your coach. If you don't have one, it should be fairly easy to tee into the propane system and add one.

You need a two stage regulator rather than the more common single stage regulator to have enough flow to supply the furnace and stove.

David
Old 12-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Travato John, thanks, i mostly stay at state/national parks & moochdocking, so typically have access to electricity. So usually i do supplement with a small electric space heater and that helps a lot. Worse come to worse, i also have a heat pump in the roof (which i avoid at all costs, heat isn't great plus sounds like a small jet landing on my roof)... but it's something. I don't do a lot of boondocking per se, but i love Harvest Host stays and want to be able to do that without worrying about the weather. (And that is why i'm also upgrading the pitiful house battery/inverter situation.)

David - thanks, but if i have an external connection i sure can't find it! very sad but true. That's another reason i'd love to get the adapter - they have a port to attach another appliance like a grill.

i'm just concerned about the odd set up of my propane fill...
Old 12-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Can we bump this thread? I'm going through something similar. My wife and I live full time in our 2014 Via 25P and up in the mountains of Oregon. Only having 13 gallons of propane is not enough for us. We do have electricity most of the time but only a 15 amp supply so I try not to use my electric heater. I went into town today and bought a "stay awhile" kit and a 10lb propane tank. Only to come back and find that the connections on our RVs are not the same as most RVs. I would consider myself mechanically inclined but I'm not really sure what I'm doing with this type of LP system. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated before I take it to an RV shop to have them install it for me.
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

LP system

Monstro, definitely go have it done if you are not sure. Propane can be dangerous as you know. Any Mobil mechanic should be able to help. You may have to drive to them. Local rv parks can rec. someone most likely. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the quick reply! I have worked on LP systems before. (forklifts and such.) This one is just different because of the central mounting of the tank and the remote fill lines ran up to the front of the RV. I would consider myself capable of doing it and I have a good idea of how to plumb these kits. I was mostly wondering if anyone knew what types of fittings were needed and where they mounted the kit.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Monstro - that is the exact problem i ran into. The configuration of this system throws everything off, including just access because of where the fill valve & regulator are. I have now had a couple of mobile mechanics tell me they had the wrong fittings etc and couldn't do it. And the dealer advised against it. So i was just wondering if anyone with this set up had done it & had any advice. It would be a great addition but i'm losing hope
Old 12-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Well I'm not giving up hope yet. I will keep trying to figure it out since I already purchased all the required parts. I will let everyone know what I figure out. Worst case scenario I have a really good propane company in my town tht I'm sure could do it for the right price.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Some of the “stay-a-while” devices are made of molded pieces that are not reconfigurable. If you buy one that is made from individual screw-together pieces, nearly any configuration is possible. I had this problem with my 2001 Brave. A trip to Home Depot for some brass fittings and Teflon tape solved the problem. One concern was that much weight was applied to a relatively thin brass nipple, so I epoxied a matching length of copper tubing inside to give it rigidity. After tightening everything, I gave it the soapy water test for leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stay A While configuration.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	181514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stay A While installed.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	181515  

NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hey NormD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormD View Post
Some of the “stay-a-while” devices are made of molded pieces that are not reconfigurable. If you buy one that is made from individual screw-together pieces, nearly any configuration is possible. I had this problem with my 2001 Brave. A trip to Home Depot for some brass fittings and Teflon tape solved the problem. One concern was that much weight was applied to a relatively thin brass nipple, so I epoxied a matching length of copper tubing inside to give it rigidity. After tightening everything, I gave it the soapy water test for leaks.
Hey NormD!
Would love to chat with you about your installation! I have a 2003 brave with almost the exact setup. Already have the extend-a- stay, but have been perplexed as to how to install it. That elbow is what has been throwing me. Here's my setup, see pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211209_184802767.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	181518   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211215_224252211.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	181519  

nownzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags