Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Dumping fresh water tank, non-controlled

Gents,
In prep for an up coming trip, the DW and I wanted the fresh water tank dumped so we could put fresh water in it. The primary reason for the dumping was the fact that it still had water from a camping trip and RV park that, had water that was/is harshly treated with a bunch of chemicals and we could smell it. So, we decided to dump the tank.

Well, we've had the coach now for about, 2.5 years. It's an Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. The water tank is somewhere around 89 gallons. The indicator on the panel told me it was "2/3" full. I'd never dumped that fresh water before because I've never had a reason to.

So, I open the compartment where the pull "T" handle is and pull it a bit to try and find out where the dump port is, underneath the rig. Well, a bit came out and, from the side of the coach, on my knees, looking under it, it was difficult to tell where the dump hose/port, whatever actually was.

So, I raised the rig to the point where almost all 6 tires were off the ground, and cruised on under there on my trusty creeper. Well, I found out, that, the dump port has no hose on it. It can't. You see, that dump port is about 2.5-3" in diameter. And, it sits about three inches away from the end of the fuel tank. Apparently it's simply some form of a "gate" valve.

So, I put a 5 gallon bucket on my creeper and pushed it into position, to "catch" the flow. Yeah sure, . When you pull that T handle, that water comes out with fairly good force and, hits that fuel tank and, in the 5 seconds I had the T handle out, about 1/10th of the water actually hit the bucket but, the other 9/10 went all over the ground.

Most of the time, it would be no big deal to dump, that much water in the parked position, along side our home. But, I didn't want that kind of mess since I could not catch it and dump it on the lawn.

Anyway, I simply pulled the rig out onto the street and pulled the handle and let it run down the gutter. I'd sure like to be able to catch it, if and when I ever need to dump it again. But, trying to fabricate some sort of attachment and, then try and install it, in that limited space, to only the side of the tank with no real physical means other than some form of glue, would be almost impossible.

I just thought I'd share this with other owners of the same year/model rigs.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it was that badly/highly treated you might end up killing the grass with it so you are probably better off just letting it go.

I have the EverPure filter in my galley so I super chlorinate anyway and would not dump superchlorinated water on my lawn unless I wanted to kill it for putting in a walkway and such.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My dump valve is closer to 1" than 2.5" or 3", but I would expect you could still do what I did...

A trip to Lowes, some cutting and gluing, and I can hook up a hose and send the water anywhere I want (downhill of course). I put the outlet in a metal panel next to one of the storage bays. Gotta open the door, but it's not actually in a compartment.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
My dump valve is closer to 1" than 2.5" or 3", but I would expect you could still do what I did...

A trip to Lowes, some cutting and gluing, and I can hook up a hose and send the water anywhere I want (downhill of course). I put the outlet in a metal panel next to one of the storage bays. Gotta open the door, but it's not actually in a compartment.
Well Sir,
I thank you for your answer. I'm fairly handy at figuring things out in terms of "McGuyvering" things. Done it a few zillion times. And, this endeavor, while a bit challenging, is probably doable. As stated, its opening is somewhere around 3" in diameter and has a lip that protrudes about 1/4" away from the tank. So, there's almost virtually nothing to attach to. So, what I might have to do is, fabricate maybe a 6" x 6" flange, cut a 3" hole in the middle and glue or, weld, (depending on materials I used) a very short piece of 3" tubing, converted down to something about like, 1". Then insert a 90 degree to aim it down. Then, just continue on to an exit point with a garden hose, male end on it.

Now, when it comes to draining it or, even getting some bulk fresh water at a camp site, all I'd need to do is put a small bucket under that male end and pull the handle. And, if and or when, I need to drain the whole tank, I's simply attach a hose to it and run it wherever.

Sounds like it could be one of my next projects. Sure wish Itasca would have provided a controlled drain but, that would have added, oh, maybe another $5.00 to the price tag of the coach.
Scott
Old 12-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

As I recall, I found some PVC pipe that slipped inside my drain and glued it there. I'll have to check out you plumbing diagrams, might be totally different than mine....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My 39 K has a drain valve (about?) the same size as the dump valves. There is a an attachment to that valve that reduces the drain size to either 1 or 1 & 1/4 with a short length and then a 90 degree elbow pointing down to the ground. When I pull the line that opens that valve the water shoots out towards the ground not to the fuel tank several inches forward. I don't know if a call to Winnebago might help - perhaps your 36 had that set up and it was removed by a previous owner?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Scott, I'd just be willing to bet that if you were to access the tank to see what type of valve is hooked up to it, you would find one of these Gate Valves

I crawled under my coach to have a look see and found that I have an inch and a half ABS 90 sticking out of the metal water tank enclosure which is the drain outlet for when I pull the remote T-Handle in the side compartment. My fuel tank sits a good 18 inches away from the water tank and there is an access panel screwed to the side of the water tank enclosure that is removable for changing out the valve in case of failure. Also the T-Handle reads Valterra on it.

Sophie had begging down to a science yesterday at dinner time. She really pissed off my DW when she jumped into one of the vacant chairs at the table and expected to be fed. NOT!

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My coach has a ball valve and a 1 1/4" drain and it would be nice to have a quick drain that would just get it over with. A rigid drain pipe sticking down there could leave you with an expensive tank repair from road debris that might bump it. A soft vinyl hose extension might be the best choice if you do pursue this such as is avaiable in the bulk hose and tubing section at your local Home Depot/Lowes.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Gang,
It appears that this coach and the placement of some of it's components, is different than many other Winnes and Itascas. I'm about 100% sure that any of the previous owners did not remove any of the drain valve components that would possibly have been attached to there. The reason, I know the person we bought it from had a hard time tying his own shoes, much less do something technical on the coach. He darn near almost paid to have it fueled.
And the owner before him, also paid to have anything done. He was not capable of his own maintenance.

As for the straight pipe protruding down and being hit by possible road debris, well, that couldn't happen either.

Sammie, this water tank has no access to it, what so ever. I can see the top 1/3 of the tank, above a welded in panel, if I look into my middle compartment. And, like stated, the front face, the face with the valve in/on it, is about 3-4" away from the rear face of the fuel tank. So, getting in there to make some sort of Rube Goldberg mechanism that will facilitate a controlled exit for the water tank drain, will be somewhat challenging.

We're heading out for about 9 days of camping, starting tomorrow about noon. So, I'll have to look deeper into this endeavor, when I return. This project is not a pressing issue. As I stated I my first post on this, we've had the coach for about 2.5 years and, this is the first time I've had a need to drain the fresh water tank.

But, I'll come up with something, when I return. Thanks to all for your experience and ideas. Have a great New Year to all.
Scott

Sammie, yep, our Sophie, sits by the table when we're eating but, she's not jumped up on an empty chair, just yet. Most of the time, she realizes that there's no hand outs so, she just gives up and lies at our feet, making sure we don't go anywhere without her knowing.
Scott

Tags
fresh water, tank, water