Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Draining the Water Tank

I am trying to find out if there is a gravity drain for my water tank I have looked at the manual and every logical place ( I think !) on the unit . So help!!!
PoppaBlayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What Winnebago do you own (year, model, floor plan, etc)?
Old 06-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry 2000 Adventurer 32 T
Old 06-14-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

That’s not one I can help with, but hopefully somebody else will have an answer for you soon.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #5

Probably in your passenger side #2 or #3 compartment you will find a T-Handle.

You just pull on it and water drops out the bottom of your RV like magic.

However, Winnebago forgot to add a cable-camp and after 20 years your cable may end up not being able to close the valve after you open it.

So heads-up, you could be heading for a repair you did not count on.

The pictures blow show the cable-camp you should add now before you end up with a problem.

I also would add a lubricant to the hard wire cable used to open and close the Valtra valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Drain 1  (2004 Itasca Horizon) 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	179613  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi Poppa Blayne,
You can also find additional information on pages 7-7 and 7-8 of your Owner's Manual.
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 06-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We don't get the really great interactive drawings in the pre -2010 models but we do get some help, so see if this may let you study it a bit and see if you can match up your RV with this info?

We start with a bit of confusion as I find no 32 T listed for that year but do find a 32 V, so guessing it may be a typo?
But the 32V shows you have two tanks connected together by pipe as in the first drawing and then if we turn the tanks around in our mind so we se the other side, we can find a valve and drain!

Can you match this up and find a drain about even with the gravity fill port outside and somewhere near under the kitchen facet? I think that is what I'm seeing but looking at the real thing is needed!

I might guess there is a valve hiding in a storage compartment, maybe a bout near the gravity fill only lower and about three feet into the RV?

Lots of guessing in that idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	179614   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank valve.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	179615  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I think part of my problem is this has been re-plumbed I will review the manual again. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I am looking at my manual and checked my unit stamp again it is a 32t having said that I think the unit has been re-plumbed but the drawing looks close so tomorrow in the daylight I will look again. Thanks so much Morich for taking the time to help! I will post when I find it!
Old 06-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Hi Poppa Blayne,
I found a 1999 32T Adventurer in the Brochure Archive.
The 1999 Adventurer Owner's Manual looks very similar to the 2000 manual.
Eagle5
Old 06-14-2021, 11:20 PM   #11

After you find your "T-Handle" to drain you fresh water tank, if you have one, then at some point you may need to drop the cover panel hiding your Valtera Drain Valve, again... if you have one... and then I would recommend you install a metal cable clamp.

This is all it takes to hold the outside of the cable in place; so the inside cable can work "full travel." ...And Winnebago left it out.

"Shame... Shame... Shame!"
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2021, 11:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for taking the time to offer your help we do appreciate it!
Old 06-15-2021, 03:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Well to all those who offered their help and Winnebago knowledge my sincere thanks. I found the drain right next to the fresh water tank sitting in the middle of a plate that says WATER TANK DRAIN. In fairness it’s difficult to see but there it was. Thanks again, stay safe!
Old 06-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #14

Great.

FYI, one season I decided to leave my fresh water drain valve open. And 6 months later when I picked up the coach I could not seal the valve properly and so water was dripping out.

This was a showstopper you don't want to repeat.

FYI, I then called a local RV repair stop, who was scheduling new work orders 3 weeks into the future, and so that convinced me to fix my leaking fresh water tank valve myself.

I then learned these Valtera fresh water (knife) valves work just like the black and gray water tanks; only on the fresh water valve is smaller (2" I think) and here's what you need to now if your RV is older than 2010:

* Valtera upgraded their fresh water valve around this date, but only slightly changed the design. So there is a so-called "old" version and a "new" version.

I don't have the part numbers handy to share, but if you ever have to repair one of these you need to use the right rubber seals... and they vary by 1/16".

So if you have an old coach and you don't know if the previous owner replaced this fresh water valve or seal, then I recommend you replace the whole valve as a complete "new" set and then add one of those cable clamps as shown above to more securely hole that cable in place.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Were you able to sort out which year/model you have 199 or 2000? It looks like there was a pretty large change in the fresh water tank for that period.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Yes I got it's 1999 Chassis and 2000 house. I found the drain funny story I talked to the fellow I bought it from and he told me where it was. So I put some water. In and opened the valve and yahoo out came the water and when I moved the pipe a bit I found were the valve and pipe went through the floor through a plate with a hole. The plate says FRESH WATER TANK DRAIN VALVE! Don’t I feel dumb! But anyway thanks for your help and maybe we will talk again soon!
Old 06-16-2021, 07:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Nothing dumb about not knowing what we don't know! Tis good to find exactly which year as we get into any auto parts they change a lot more often and see may not spot the difference. RV have lots more small details like when they change things in mid year. I have one that doesn't meet any of the wiring diagrams! Whooppee!
Old 06-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Yes, don't feel dumb about these things. They can help many others on the site who also don't have the information. Searching here is a lot quicker than searching everywhere in your coach!

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thank you ! This forum is a a welcome place to be able to come to everyone has been helpful and supportive. I hope I will be able over time to offer the same support. We are people from all over with a common thread. It is my hope that someday our paths may cross when this soul sucking pandemic is behind us.I hope this is not to sentimental. Take care stay safe. Happy Trails!!!!

Tags
tank, water