Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Draining the fresh water tank

I have a 2017 Sunstar 30T. I'm a little perplexed about the draining method for the fresh water tank. I was assuming we're able to drain it by gravity. Am I wrong?

The manual goes thru the disinfecting methods, which I'm in the middle of, but just says to "drain the water tank and refill.....". No reference for details about how.

In the back of Chapter 7 Plumbing, there is a table for "drain valve locations". Under the 30T portion, it says

"valve located in the rear driver side compartment behind the rear axle."

"Open exterior shower faucet and lay shower head on ground."

With the water pump off, I turn the valve from horizontal to vertical as the "fresh water drain" illustration shows. I open the 3 shower valves including the head valve and a weak stream (say 2-3 oz/minute) comes out. (It's not draining hose residual as it continued to drain at that rate for 20+ minutes.) I turn on the water pump and nothing happens. I turn the valve back to horizontal (normal) and the shower head flows (pump on).

So, beside not being excited about using the pump to empty 80 gallons, the valve is not working as described. I know it's the valve for City vs. tank water, but I don't see how that is related.

What's wrong here?

TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7194.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	173623  
Old 05-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Standing too tall! The valve you see is the one to switch from filling the tank to using the water straight inside from the hose. I suspect there is a second valve if you lean over and peek under the metal. Perhaps also find a plastic tube hanging down under the RV where the water will come out?
The arrows on the label referr to how the knob on the unseen vale lay when open or closed.
Been there and I was also confused!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

right you are. there it was. Gonna take a pic and put in my manual like they shoulda done.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Got to say the manuals seem to be written by folks who knew and understood too much. It has always been my thought that manuals should first be written by folks who know but then given to somebody who has not seen an RV before rewriting the thing!
A major point to give you a heads up? If you happen to leave that top valve in the fill position and then camp and hook up to water, you may get very, very , poor water pressure! Also expect to find a couple other drains.
Mine, this valve does drain some of the water from the fresh tank but others near the water pump get more out of the tank itself!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

While we are here....I am not finding the answer anywhere else. I have a 2020 micro minnie 2108ds. I am trying to drain the tank in order to sanitize it. The manual says to open the main drain to the tank and then the petcocks near the toilet. I found the petcocks but the tank is enclosed underneath and I see no access to the tank. Any help?
Blue Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
While we are here....I am not finding the answer anywhere else. I have a 2020 micro minnie 2108ds. I am trying to drain the tank in order to sanitize it. The manual says to open the main drain to the tank and then the petcocks near the toilet. I found the petcocks but the tank is enclosed underneath and I see no access to the tank. Any help?
There should be something sticking down underneath maybe 2' in from the side on the door side, perhaps just slightly back from the door. You should see the water outlet sticking out, and the valve is right above that.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Goodspike, Found it! Thanks! They never mentioned on the walk through and it is not in the manual.
Blue Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water