Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I need to drain our fresh water tank but I can't get the handle to pull out. I'm afraid if I put too much pressure on it that it'll break. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Thank you

Sweet40FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I need to drain our fresh water tank but I can't get the handle to pull out. I'm afraid if I put too much pressure on it that it'll break. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Thank you

Old 06-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I was able to pull the handle on the fresh tank valve, but the water was pouring out from under the Motorhome. Is this normal or am I still doing something wrong? I'm doing what the manual said to do.
Thank you again

Old 06-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

You are doing the right thing....water will indeed seem to "pour" out of the bottom of the motor home...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ours dumps the fresh water onto the propane tank and it splashes around before it gets to the ground.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank you both. I do feel alot better now. I just knew the park Management was going to have a fit thinking I had a leak! I'll just disguise it somehow when I finish. Especially since I know it's normal.
Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Just curious,but what made you have to drain the tank?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We are finishing up everything for our hitch this Friday and have to take the Motorhome in. I sure didn't want to be packing around all that weight. Another fulltime RV'er said to fill the fresh water and use it along with the city water to get more pressure. Our pump only cuts on if everything is running. So we filled up for nothing. But at least I was able to flush it out. Haven't done it since I've had the Motorhome.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Gotcha....just be careful traveling without a lot of water....while it does reduce your weight, if you end up somewhere where there's no water,you might increase your wait for water....Your coach holds 108 gallons of water at 8.32 pounds per gallon...
Old 06-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I did leave 1/3 in it to be on the safe side. The dealership is less than 20 miles from us.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Rick,

Just a thought for you -

We are full timers. MANY of the camp grounds we get to do not have very good water pressure so we use the pump all the time.

You are also faced with trying to remember how long the water has been in the tank and has it gone bad - it it time to shock it - etc. To solve all this we live off the fresh water tank. We fill the tank and shut off the public water. When the tank gets low we refill it. That way there is a constant flow of fresh water in teh tank and I do not have to worry about it going bad plus I always have pretty good water pressure for showers and dishes.

I usually have the water tank about half full when we travel. That way I have a little additional weight to help the ride and I do not worry about having enough water if I end up in a Wally World parking lot for the night.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Your right about the water not being that great at some campgrounds. We should only be gone away from our permanent spot for a couple of hours. They just need to make sure the hitch lights and everything works correctly. Then we'll be back and plug up.
But I found that I get better water pressure from the city than I do with my pump. Maybe something I need to have checked. Thank you again for you advice. I have learned more from this forum than I have with the manuals.
Thanks again,
Cheryl

Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Adrian,with only 15 pounds of pressure this past weekend,you taught me that trick....THANKS!!

If you hadn't shown me your camera,I'd even be FURTHER ahead,but now I've ordered one of those too!!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

That is wonderful advice from Adrian.

We were just at a campground in Fort Nelson, British Columbia a couple/three nights ago - it was cold and rainy and the park's water pump quit shortly after we hooked up. They worked on it an hour or so and got it going. Since I didn't trust their repair, I put more water in our tank. Good thing too since their pump quit a few hours later.

We decided to now carry about 1/2 to 2/3 of a tank of water instead of our usual 1/3 tank especially while we are up here in the northwest and Alaska.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

John,
You sure are up in beautiful country.
When we travel long distance I will carry more water for fear of not being able to get water or dirty water in some areas.
Have a safe trip.
Cheryl

Old 06-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Since I know Adrian,all water is being "Filtered" as the tank is being filled.

Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Filtered - you bet - do not need any bad stuff in the tank. I have a 2 stage home type water filter permenately mounted in the utilities bay. All water coming into the tank runs through the filters. Then drinking water is filtered again.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-09-2006, 03:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Adrian, tell me the make and model #'s of your water filters, please. Think there's any chance I could get Bob's old camera, (cheap) ? Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:06 AM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

Jim, HERE is a "whole coach" water filtration suggestion for $70 from rvupgrades, an iRV2 sponsor...

Keep your paws off my "old" camera,the wife and I will still be "fighting" over using it or the new one,just as Adrian and Barbara do....
Old 06-09-2006, 04:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Jim,

The link Bob posted is essentially what I have. The difference is that I got mine from Home Despot. I have 2 separate filters mounted on a 2 filter bracket. There is a 3/4" coupling between the 2 filters. I then mounted that assembly to the inside of my utilities cabinet. I then put garden hose quick connects on almost everything. Now when I need to add water to my tank I simply plug in the city water to the input side of the filter system. The filter system is already connected to the tank fill connection.

I had a picture on the iRV2 site at one time. I just did a search for it but could not find it. I am not sure what to search for.

The filter numbers are -
GE filters
Sediment filter - FXUSC - first in line
Charcoal filter - FXWTC - second in line

The third filter for the drinking water is the Everpure - OW2+ that is a stock filter installed by Itasca.

There are finer sediment filters you could use rather than the one I use but they really restrict the water flow making filling the tank a long process. I feel like what I am using is good for everything except drinking and that is taken care of by the Everpure filter.

If you did not want to do a permenate installation I would look closely at the filter in the link from Bob because it looks like it is made to sit outside in the sun where the GE filters from HD are not.

- Barbara and I do not fight over using the new camera. It is real simple - when we got the "old" amera she claimed it as hers. That is what drove getting the "new" camera. She claimed the old one so I claim the new one. See - simple. - - And if you believe that then you are not married

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD