Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Do you have the electric toilet....need your help?

Not sure which other Winnie models have the electric toilets but the 2011 42QD Tour I am purchasing has these. For those of you who have these toilets, how do you winterize the toilets but continue to use them traveling in cold weather? Let me explain:
My Meridian had the pedal that you pushed down. After I would winterize the water system, I could still use the toilet while traveling from North to South using a gallon jug of water that we carried to flush. On the electric toilet, in order to empty the bowl you press the button but this brings the RV Anti Freeze into the toilet each time you flushed I think. So, how do you shut off the water to your electric toilet and still empty the bowl using a gallon of water you carry with you?
Did you install a water shut off value somewhere? Does one already exist? I called Winnie today and they said "not sure what you could do other than install a water shut off to keep the antifreeze from coming into the bowl when you empty the bowl". There must be a way. I sure hope somebody has the answer on here. Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

I will be interested in the answer:-) We have a 2013 Tour with two electric toilets. I am going to make a guess and say no you should not try to use if winterized. I will be checking for updates from people who know more than me about electric toilets. In our past coaches, when we winterized it was because we were not going to need running water or flushing toilets. So why winterize if you are going to be using the facilities?
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #3

Ok,I'm currious as to why you are winterizing if you are traveling during the winter. Are you taking it to a storage facility? We have traveled in the winter to some pretty cold areas and if you have your heat on your pipes should be fine. Of course your water hook up might need a heated hose...which we have used with good results.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I use air to blow the system out and only use antifreeze in the p-traps. Then to use toilet just pour in some rv antifreeze in bowl and press "empty bowl button "and everything gets sucked(pumped)out into black tank. Ours is a Dometic sealand master flush, but think any model would work the same. I think if your using antifreeze to flush with you could just leave pump off and use empty bowl button to flush it . Hope this helps.
gknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

gknott: I think you answered my question when you said just turn the pump off! I am going to turn off the water tomorrow to see if the toilet will empty the bowl with the water off. If it does, I am home free. The pump would be off after I winterize so I think your right. Thanks for the common sense approach.

Glenda: I will be traveling from 80 degree weather here in the south to 25 degree weather or less in the north. I would rather winterize in 80 degree temps than 25 degree temps which is why I asked the question about the toilet. We have done this for many years and it works best for us. I could leave the heat on as you suggest but why risk it if the heat should fail? This way I don't worry.
I have a friend who does as you suggested with no problems but I would worry all the way home if I did this.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Yep, turn the water off. For waterless flush push and hold both buttons at the same time if it is a Techma.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE:
YC1: You were right on the money with your post. Hold both buttons and it empties with the water turned off. That will work perfect for what I want to do. Thanks for the information and thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Here is the instruction manual. My toilet seat lid actually has instructions on it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Techma Easyfit toilet.pdf (1.73 MB, 80 views)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Electric toilets. Man they will Run a wire to anything
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
Electric toilets. Man they will Run a wire to anything

I agree,and wish we did not have one. Just more to go wrong.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

The only time I have "two" toilets is if I bring out the wag. And the only power they rely on is me.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

YCI- Thanks very much. Answers many questions.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Here is the instruction manual. My toilet seat lid actually has instructions on it.
Potty training?
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
Potty training?
Sure, Funny till someone loses an eye.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Why not just use the antifreeze instead of water for your needs?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddinmad40 View Post
Why not just use the antifreeze instead of water for your needs?
I use windshield washer its cheaper. That is for drains only.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I for one like the electric toilets, yes there is the possibility of something else to fail. But I have been working on aircraft with electrical toilets for years. Very minimal problems. I like the fact that there is a macerator in the system. One question I have though is it seems my toilet level light for the black tank turns amber when my master panel only show 1/3 full. I was under the notion that it was suppose to turn amber at 3/4 or 2/3 full. Any thought on this? This is a question I have for my dealer when I return next month for a few warrenty items.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I for one like the electric toilets, yes there is the possibility of something else to fail. But I have been working on aircraft with electrical toilets for years. Very minimal problems. I like the fact that there is a macerator in the system. One question I have though is it seems my toilet level light for the black tank turns amber when my master panel only show 1/3 full. I was under the notion that it was suppose to turn amber at 3/4 or 2/3 full. Any thought on this? This is a question I have for my dealer when I return next month for a few warrenty items.
I agree. I like the electric toilets. I'm not going to "worry" that things are going to fail. If that was the case we would just carry a "chamber pot" I had a person share TMI with me once that told me they NEVER use the bathroom in the RV.....really. I didn't want to continue the conversation so I didn't ask why.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
YC1
Winnebago Owner

DSbike mine does the same thing. I suspect they have separate sensors but haven't looked at the schematic. I will now my curiosity is awake.
And you may notice after dumping it may take a few minutes for the sensors to respond.

As for failures, mine had a leak from the start. it was a gasket in the back and not the electrics. But leaks happen. Just found a loose hose under the bathroom sink.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

My OM states there are separate sensors...mine seem to be installed higher on the tank ...just a little...turns red little while after regular tank sensor reads full..ya I tested it. The electric sure use a LOT of water...we Need to dump more frequently. We can only adjust bowl level...not amount used to flush...all or nothing!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote